Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that's a great help. Do you know how far it is to get to the TRT; and whether that trail loops back or is just out and back?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do Western States to TRT up to Painted rock and back down. It is a good short but fun out and back. Come down Missing Link for some extra credit. You can ride there from Squaw and there is also the option to come down into Silver Creek campground for a loop.

·
go fast, pull up
57 Posts
I find that most people who aren't used to the elevation up here about puke when they try to shoot up Western States trail. I would recommend going through the Tahoe Nordic Center and making your way up to the fiberboard freeway via the waterbar trail. Thats a much mellower climb up to the TRT and painted rock and then come down western states and you're right back at Squaw. This route involves a long cruise on the paved bike path but it's pretty scenic.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow - thanks so much to all for the responses. These routes are perfect. Natrider - the map info is fantastic. This is a huge help!!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Tahorider said:
I find that most people who aren't used to the elevation up here about puke when they try to shoot up Western States trail. I would recommend going through the Tahoe Nordic Center and making your way up to the fiberboard freeway via the waterbar trail. Thats a much mellower climb up to the TRT and painted rock and then come down western states and you're right back at Squaw. This route involves a long cruise on the paved bike path but it's pretty scenic.
I'll second this. Starting at the Nordic Center opens up to a bunch of rides. Somewhat confusing at times down lower where there are a lot of junctions. Stay to the left at first and then past the high school if you want to head towards the Watson Lake/Painted Rock entry to the TRT. Or go off to the right and then eventually up if you want to hit the TRT more towards Brockway. The map at the LBS will help although it won't have all the trails on it around the Nordic Center.
You can also do some rides around the Paige Meadow, Stanford Rock,etc area. You could start from Squaw as well. I used to start from the end of Bonanza Road which is over by Granlibaken Ski area. Plan it right and it can dump off at Alpine ski area. Enjoy :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts