Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lindsay
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden Whiting Ranch, Aliso and Woods Canyon, Fullerton loop since recently moving into our new home in Emerald bay and It's a disappointing change from what the climbing I'm used to in the San Gabriel Forest. Well, I like the San Juan Trail near Ladera Ranch that's really a lot of fun.

Here's what I enjoy, Point Magu State Park. Caballero, Sullivan, Westridge loop. Sullivan f.r. and Rogers trail loop. Backbone tr from tunnel 3 to Corral Canyon loop. Strawberry Peak. Chilao. Reseda to Gladstones for fish restaurant. Rocky Peak, chumash. Brown Mountain when I used to be able to climb to the Ken burton trailhead.

I was just wondering, if there are any rides in Orange County similar to these? I like extended climbs...

Thank You

·
Registered
629 Posts
The Santa Ana mountains are going to be your best bet. The flies can be pretty troublesome in the summer but an early start helps.

Some of the climbs from South to North:

Black Star (fire road)
Maple Springs (paved/fire road)
Harding Truck Trail (fire road)
Holy Jim (singletrack)
Trabuco (singletrack)
San Juan (singletrack)

All connect to the Main Divide which is basically the North/South ridgeline road. Some decent climbing along this as well.

A couple good loops are Holy Jim/Main Divide/Trabuco, or Black Star, Main Divide, Silverado Motorway, or Harding Truck Trail/Main Divide/Joplin (techy)/Santiago Truck Trail/Luge

check out geoladders.com for detailed directions and route descriptions.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
^^ What she said.

But you have Laguna Coast and El Moro right out your door. You may not get multi-mile climbs, but you can combine trails to get the job done.

We rode out there last night--started from Ridge Park, dropped down to the 133 over to Aliso, back to Laguna Coast and finished through ElMo for a grand total of 18 miles and 3K+ of climbing.

·
Lindsay
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Santa Ana mountains are going to be your best bet. The flies can be pretty troublesome in the summer but an early start helps.

Some of the climbs from South to North:

Black Star (fire road)
Maple Springs (paved/fire road)
Harding Truck Trail (fire road)
Holy Jim (singletrack)
Trabuco (singletrack)
San Juan (singletrack)

All connect to the Main Divide which is basically the North/South ridgeline road. Some decent climbing along this as well.

A couple good loops are Holy Jim/Main Divide/Trabuco, or Black Star, Main Divide, Silverado Motorway, or Harding Truck Trail/Main Divide/Joplin (techy)/Santiago Truck Trail/Luge

check out geoladders.com for detailed directions and route descriptions.
Thanks, we'll check it out! I just love the San Juan trail, still smiling about it. Wish the shuttle people would be a bit more courteous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts