Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't ridden around Jim Thorpe in years. Last time I was there, the trail to ride was American Standard, but I've been digging around online and it doesn't look like that's been getting much traffic on Strava lately. Tried looking up anything on Trailforks or mtbr.com and didn't find much.

Are those trails still rideable? Anyone have any suggestions for a rocky, technical ride around Jim Thorpe?

Thanks!

·
Ride da mOOn
8,470 Posts
I ride there all the time...
...each year I start with an area and work my way around throughout the year. So far this year...BM, Deer, Rabbit Patch, Switchback, Tank Hollow, and yes the D&L many times in process of my rides. Still gotta hit Arner's, Blue Ponds, and upper D&L off shoots.

Every trail is still there, and used very little. The great views keep me coming back! Gonna be another great year. I have other threads with pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. I'm interested in riding out there this summer and been trying to look to see what trails to ride. Looks like a lot of the trails are off the D&L

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got a question for you guys. Where is the best spot to enter and exit the switchback trail. I was up there yesterday (7/1). I parked right behind the Jim Thorpe High school. On the map it says that that is part of the switchback trail. Well that trail is a miserable uphill hike and its about a 3/4 mile long hike while pushing a bike. I did find the really nice scenic spot overlooking Jim Thorpe. That was really nice. I then exited coming down the Mt Pisgah inclined plane. That sucked to. I am not skilled enough to ride down that. Plus not sure how you can, maybe with a FS bike. Once I got down to the bottom of that I remember I saw a video on youtube about another trail on the ride of the Mt Pisgah inclined place. I took that trail and took it for a while. Turned around partway through because I was getting tired. This trail I really enjoyed. its narrow, but you can roll pretty good on it. Only problem is you cant see other bikers coming from the opposite way. What other trails are definitely worth it? I have done the swithback trail right off of lentz road. I live in Lehighton and I know Jim Thorpe has a lot of trails. Just trying to get back into riding, because I love it and looking to get back into shape. I will be checking out trailforks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Don't know what you were riding on, but the Switchback is nowhere near the HS.
Look here - https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8648447,-75.7389733,16.02z?hl=en

The green dashed line is the switchback. You can get on here if youre riding from town. If you don't want to deal with the crowds/parking, drive up Lentz Trail and make a left onto Flagstaff road across from the treatment plant. Park along the shoulder and pick up the trail there. You can also continue up to the lake and park there, but then you miss a good part of the trail, IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey all, posting up for the first time after hearing about the site through my friend Max.

I've been lucky to have some folks show me around Jim Thorpe this past year and there are some super solid, technical, challenging rides to be had up around there, in particular on Mount Pisgah. The enduro moto trails are in great shape and are a pretty rad technical option to hit on the MTB.

A great starting point is taking the Switchback Trail out to Summit Hill and taking the single track along the Ridge back to JT. On the way out you can link in Flagstaff Mountain and the Bob's Option Trail if you want a fun fall line descent to throw in. Going back to JT, you can take the Indian Path back to the ball field or tack on some more miles and head over to Nesquehoning on the Ridge.

Another trail that is still a blast to ride is Jeans Run, gotta be one of the longer descents available in the eastern PA area.

This ride below is an example of the various segments that you can link together or just do individual portions for a quicker loop.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/5631761/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome pics. Maybe get a group ride together sometime with anyone interested. Would be fun plus learn the trails.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Finally making it up to Jim Thorpe this coming weekend! Figure I'll stitch together a loop on Trailforks, but if anyone has recs for a first timer, or wanna show me around, I'm not gonna say no!

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
Well, I am no fan of the powers in JT but they are right here:

Owner Andy Muller Jr. contends that his train is not an amusement and that he’s in the freight business, “offering passenger excursion rides to local communities as a way of thanking them for their support over the years and to educate young and old in the glorious role railroads in this region played in our country’s industrial revolution.”

The train is pure amusement and entertainment. There is no freight business there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had a great ride up in the Jim Thorpe region yesterday. With the leaves dropped and plants dying back, sight lines are wide open and things are riding great on Flagstaff, Pisgah, and Broad Mt. Jeans Run was running especially nice, the leaves in the steep rock section have settled/packed in so its not as much of a leaf surfing adventure. For folks looking to get a ride in when trail conditions in SE PA may be questionable, head up to Thorpe for some fast draining fun trails!

The town definitely seemed a lot quieter, almost empty feeling without the trains, hopefully the merchants aren't suffering too bad as a result of some poor politician's choices.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts