Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be spending a week at the Boy Scout camp near Emigrant Gap/Lake Spaulding in a few weeks. I'll have a fair amount of free time on some of the days, and naturally thought of bringing a bike.

Can anyone recommend a good road or dirt ride in the immediate area? I don't expect to ride for more than an hour or 2 at a time, so I'd rather ride right from the camp at I-80 & Highway 20, or at least keep driving to a minimum.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
get a hiking trail guide and a vehicle travel guide from the Ranger district office, either Pinecrest or in Sonora. Most RD put out some sort of little stapled together guides for trails. If you pick trails that are moderate in grade and not close to bikes you should have a great time. Hiking guides can be a good source also. Just pay attention to vehicle restrictions and wildenness boundaries

formica

·
Registered
644 Posts
Grouse

Straightblock said:
I'll be spending a week at the Boy Scout camp near Emigrant Gap/Lake Spaulding in a few weeks. I'll have a fair amount of free time on some of the days, and naturally thought of bringing a bike.

Can anyone recommend a good road or dirt ride in the immediate area? I don't expect to ride for more than an hour or 2 at a time, so I'd rather ride right from the camp at I-80 & Highway 20, or at least keep driving to a minimum.
Go to the Tahoe National Forest website and find the PDF for Grouse Ridge. Rocky, technical singletrack with great scenery. Its about 5 miles from the Scout Camp. Also in this area is the Pioneer trail but I've never been on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Pioneer Trail (upper & extension portions) are literally right next to where you'll be. The Pioneer Extension Trail will take you to Spaulding Lake Trail. There are many more in the Grouse Ridge area. Also lots of logging roads down Bear Valley right out your back door. Upper Pioneer is boring until you get to the Omega Rest Area. Lots of fun motorcycle trails around Burlington Ridge although they may be VERY dusty. More miles of trail than you will be able to ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.