Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Cornell next year and am an avid biker and I'm looking for good trails less than an hour and a half away from Ithaca. I live in Asheville, NC and love the biking that is around here (Pisgah National Forest anybody?) and I'm looking for trails of a similar nature: cross country one's that basically go up a mountain and then come straight down. I have no knowledge whatsoever of New York so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
They turned me loose
384 Posts
Yo

We have trails in both directions about 15 minutes away from I-Town. Shindhagin Hollow and Hammond Hill are my local rides during the week. Shindhagin has many trails and many differnet levels of terrain. But mostly mud and roots, with some shore built in. Not much for mountains around here. Mostly Rolly, rooty, fast, MUDDY Single track....and lots of it. More riding can be had in various other drive times. 45 minutes gets you to Chenango Valley, nice and dry in the spring when everything else is focked from water. Highland Forest in Tully is decent, another 45 minute drive, but mud prevails most of the year. 1 1/2 hours west is Letchworth, a must do. Ellicotville, about 3 hours west, mountainbike specific trails (NICE). Jenksville and Oakley Corners are nice as well, looking at maybe 30-45 minutes south for them. And of course the 4-6 hour drive north to the Adirondaks, a must at least twice a year, they have mountains up there I reckon. Cornell or IC?

HatTrick said:
I'm going to Cornell next year and am an avid biker and I'm looking for good trails less than an hour and a half away from Ithaca. I live in Asheville, NC and love the biking that is around here (Pisgah National Forest anybody?) and I'm looking for trails of a similar nature: cross country one's that basically go up a mountain and then come straight down. I have no knowledge whatsoever of New York so any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check out CNY DIRT. They do rides on Sundays, and will be doing Shindagin Hollow in Ithaca on August 29th, if you are up here by then. They also have a ride guide on their site, although all of the locations on there are north of Ithaca.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm about an hour from you, just outside of Binghamton. I ride Chenango Valley State Park, Oakley Corner, Jenksville, Jones Park, and Killer Hill pretty regularly. All are good, most are still pretty sloppy (with the exception of CVSP which is always dry). Between them all, there is some pretty good variety. But they all have 1 thing in common - you'll have to do some climbing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ride on

Hey, thanks for all of the responses - I was just reading the reviews on Shindagin and decided to check my thread. One thing that consistently popped up was that it is easy to get lost in Shindagin so it is best to ride with someone who has been there before. With that in mind I would love to ride with you Guffy9; I'm coming up the 19th so I will definitely be there on the 29th. I do have a quick question though. Coming from the Western North Carolina mountains, climbing and descending loose, technical trails is no problem however, what is the deal with these things that are built into the trails (A-frames? See-saws?)... I guess we will find out soon.

·
Incredulous bastard
256 Posts
HatTrick said:
Coming from the Western North Carolina mountains, climbing and descending loose, technical trails is no problem however, what is the deal with these things that are built into the trails (A-frames? See-saws?)... I guess we will find out soon.
Ah, ye olde Area51. It is a mix of relatively low-to-the-ground (between 1 and 6 feet high) North Shore style log rides. mtbr's review of Shindagin shows this one log ride:

Until recently it was very hard to find Area51, though a couple of months ago someone thought it would be a good idea to build a big wooden drop leading from the main road into the trail system. The word around town is that the DEC is right pissed off about it. Seems they didn't mind stunts hidden in the woods, but putting a stunt next to the road is a big no-no. I have not been on that section of trail for several weeks, but hopefully someone has removed that drop.

I would claim that Area51 is not Shindagin's main attraction. The main attraction would be the wonderful, deep in the woods, in the middle of nowhere, twisty, fast singletrack. If one knew their way around, they may be able to put together just under 15 miles of singletrack with minimal riding on doubletrack and fire roads.

My suggestion to you is that if you go by yourself at first, go early in the day. You don't want to get lost and spend your evening there in the woods by yourself.

·
They turned me loose
384 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering who built that........ one thing's for sure, it's built well. What the heck does the DEC care anyway, I don't see any enforcement being made to halt atv's from shredding the place nor do I see trail work being done by any DEC folks (maybe I missed them that day). The only people who do trail work don't get, paid (which is fine by me, I'm one of 'em) Whilst they rape the forest 3 years in a row and call it, "beneficial to the ecosystem". That's a big load of bullshot, if I've ever seen one. Sorry, but the timber harvest is getting old, and so isn't the rain..... but I think summer is here finally! Just in time for fall.........

I noticed a new timber harvest sign on the Chair trail, surely not a good sign.

no one in particular said:
Ah, ye olde Area51. It is a mix of relatively low-to-the-ground (between 1 and 6 feet high) North Shore style log rides. mtbr's review of Shindagin shows this one log ride:

Until recently it was very hard to find Area51, though a couple of months ago someone thought it would be a good idea to build a big wooden drop leading from the main road into the trail system. The word around town is that the DEC is right pissed off about it. Seems they didn't mind stunts hidden in the woods, but putting a stunt next to the road is a big no-no. I have not been on that section of trail for several weeks, but hopefully someone has removed that drop.

I would claim that Area51 is not Shindagin's main attraction. The main attraction would be the wonderful, deep in the woods, in the middle of nowhere, twisty, fast singletrack. If one knew their way around, they may be able to put together just under 15 miles of singletrack with minimal riding on doubletrack and fire roads.

My suggestion to you is that if you go by yourself at first, go early in the day. You don't want to get lost and spend your evening there in the woods by yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I spent 4 years in Ithaca at I.K. Shandagin rules.... we used to park by the Youth Dentention Center and ride the singletrack on the left hand side of the road.... following the second growth forest... trees planted in a row make for great singletrack trails... we called it the Ewok Forest.... we would then cross the road and bomb down a sweet trail to the actual "Hollow"... climbing back to the car was easy on the fire road out or back the way we came for a leg burner.... Another suggestion would be in the town of Danby... I went 4wheeling with my hick buddy scoping out some hunting spots and we came across some nice trails off of 96B... they were endless and seemed to all loop around to a fire road that would lead you home.... with that said wear orange during all seasons... there's always the 7 mile George Trail as well... was a real trail my freshman year but they bull dozed and laid down stone to attract more people.... the off shoot trails are officially off limits I think but they lead down to some great swimming holes and cliff jumps...... and some nude sunbathers.... Ithaca is Georges and there is plenty of wilderness to enjoy...... my suggestion for after ride beers is Macawbers downtown... tell Rob I said HI--

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,980 Posts
I lived in Ithaca for five years while at Cornell

It was 10 years ago - things might have changed. But with some creating routefinding and some reasonable map reading skill you can head out all day and not repeat yourself.

Shindagin Hollow
Hammond Hill State Forest
Yellow Barn State Forest
Finger Lakes National Forest

I used to take the following 3 hour tour that would take up to a full day depending on the mud-n-wallow factor: Ride up 6 Mile Creek (past the Ithaca water supply), hook down to Shindagin, loop up to Hammond Hill, swing over Yellow Barn and head back to Ithaca via the railroad grade the went through Varna.

We used to push loops on the Finger Lakes train but I suspect the hikers took over these.

Those were the good old days - wallowing in slop, carrying a toothbrush to clean my freewheel, getting a ball of mud and grass piling up on my breaks, coming home covered in mud. Fine memories these!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ithaca, Labor Day weekend

Howdy! I'm going to be in the Binghampton and Ithaca area Friday and Saturday of Labor day weekend.
It looks as if trying to ride at Shindagin will be my best bet.
Is there a LBS that rents good FS or hardtail bikes?
Or is there possibly someone that might would be riding in the area have a spare bike I could rent?
I'll be in the northren PA area the reamining days till flying out of Binghampton on the 6th.
Any advise or suggestions?

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
You need to be watching here ...great group of guys who schedule rides on a a redular basis.
Sounds like you should hit Prompton or Merli. I am itching to get down there soon, myself.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Harp said:
You need to be watching here ...great group of guys who schedule rides on a a redular basis.
Sounds like you should hit Prompton or Merli. I am itching to get down there soon, myself.
Thanks!
I'll keep checking that forum out.
At the present, I'm not able to register due to some kinda error.?
Maybe southerners aren't allowed? :D

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
Dex said:
Hmmm, I know jacksonpt has been doing some updates to the site ..maybe sit tight for a bit and I will mention it over there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dex said:
Thanks!
Yes, there is a bug on the forums... not sure when it happened, but I'm working to get it taken care of. Sit tight - I hope to have it fixed early this week.

·
Registered
639 Posts
jacksonpt said:
Yes, there is a bug on the forums... not sure when it happened, but I'm working to get it taken care of. Sit tight - I hope to have it fixed early this week.
OK, sure will.
I'm also waiting to be approved for the binghamton biking yahoo group.
So in the mean time, if anyone in the area happens to run across a used 18"-20" hardtail in ok/fair condition for under 200 bucks, could you send me some info about it at [email protected]?
Thanks
Dex

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dex said:
Thanks!
I believe the problem is fixed, so you should be able to register with the site. Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts