Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're staying up at Lake Alpine for the 4th and I need a little advice for trails and routes to take.

I think that the lake alpine loop will be good for the family ride, but was looking for something a little gnarlier for dad. Any ideas?

tia,
ub

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,154 Posts
Stop by the bike shop/ Gas station and buy a map. Seeing as they do about 80% of the trail maintenance dropping $5 for a map is chump change.

Alternately show up at the bike shop around 9:30-10:30AM on Sunday and beg to hook up with Mike (aka Vern) and company. I'm not sure they are there every Sunday but pretty close. Also, be prepared for a fast challenging ride if you hook up with them.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
Yeah, buy the book. It's got lots of good info.

I don't know the skill level of the rest of your family, but the easiest dirt trail in that area is the one that goes between Bear Valley and Lake Alpine. The trail that goes behind the Lake Alpine Lodge is fairly flat, but has it's share of roots and rocks. (Might not be too "family friendly") Same goes for the trail on the back side of the lake. Starts off easy but gets pretty rocky and rough near the end. If the family wants something even easier, there are some paved paths that run along and nearby the lake.

As for you, one option would be to climb Mt. Reba trail and descend via Bee Gulch. Mt. Reba is a brutal climb on 4x4 road. Bee Gulch is fun singletrack with lots of technical stuff. When you get to Highway 4, cross the road, take the trail around the back of the lake and you'll eventually get to Silvertip Campground. From there, climb up Osborne Ridge trail and drop down the back side. Turn right when you intersect Emigrant Trail. Emigrant will intersect the Bear Valley to Lake Alpine trail. Turn right to go back to Lake Alpine.

A few other options would be to ride Cape Horn as an out-and-back. (fun descent) Upper and lower Tamarack are fun too. And if you feel like riding some slick rock, be sure to check out the Granite Slab. (all in the book)

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,638 Posts
i just rode out there on saturday. we rolled into snowshoe brew late night fri and got some info from a local, we also had a map/book from the store a bv village. we parked up @ the east shore of lake alpine lot and rode east approx 2 miles up 4 towards cape horn, the trailhead is on the right hand side of the road and it's marked "trail". we dropped into the cape horn trail (about 2 miles singletrack), took a right @ the fireroad which runs back into lake alpine. then we took the lakeshore trail around the lake and around the dam, then crossed a creek. the singletrack winds back onto the fireroad/jeep trail called slick rock trail, here we turned right (if you go left i believe it's a long fire/jeep road that goes to spicer/utica). climbed slick rock trail for about 1/4 mile and turned left onto emigrant trail. emigrant trail takes you back over towards bear valley village, nice windy singletrack. from there there's a ton of other routes, but we took another trail off the emigrant trail on the south side of 4 for a quicker route back to the car. for a longer loop the locals @ the shop can show you how to hook up a few more singletracks back through bv towards lake alpine. most of the trails were well marked, the map/book is a good guide, there's other info on the bv website http://www.bearvalley.com/07_summer/activities/biking.asp and the locals are real helpful so you shouldn't have any problems navigating a route. unfortunately i forgot my camera so i don't have any visual evidence so if you happen to snap some shots let folks know cause i thought it was pretty fun despite all the smoky air as of late. make sure to bring your bug spray if your susceptible to mosquito attacks, the insects were pretty dense.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Rick. We'll probably use both levels of family rides, one for my wife and I and another for pulling the trail-a-bike.

The paved paths are mainly around the campground area?

ub.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Fo Sho

BV has what I call religious single track. You and family will have a blast up there. All the information here is very valid and you could print it out and use it as a guide. The book is defiantly a must have also.

Tell us about it next week.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
Bri,

You can get to the paved paths from the ampitheater parking lot. One path is right outside the parking lot and is marked by a small wooden sign that says "Bike Trail". It's probably a mile or less, slightly uphill, and ends at Silvertip Campground. The other trail goes in the opposite direction, passes the boat launching area, follows along the lake shore and ends at Pine Marten Campground. From there you can do a little exploring on that end of the lake, all on paved roads. That's also where the trailhead for Cape Horn is. The first part of the Cape Horn trail is easy, you could probably do it with the trail-a-bike.

If you're up for some hiking, I highly recommend the Inspiration Point trail. It's mostly uphill but it's not a long trail. The whole family can do it if you don't mind carrying a kid now and then. The view from the top is nice. Bring your camera!

Have fun.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Spooked a Bear!

I just got back from a week up in Dorrington. The other day I was riding one of my local trails and I heard this crashing in the woods off to my right. I thought I had spooked a deer. But no, I was a huge Black Bear :yikes: He took off running down the trail I was following.

I stopped and took in what just happened. In all my riding, I've never even thought about a BEAR. I waited 5 min and then headed off down the trail, in the same direction of the bear. Great, I thought to myself, I'm heading in the same direction as that huge bear. I just stood up on my pedals and made noise. He was gone. Later I thought . . . what if this were a mama bear and she had cubs in the area. :eekster:

Well, I made it back to the cabin with a good story to tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.