Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a ride near Auburn. I sometimes ride an 11mile loop near the Forest Hills Exit on I-80. Not sure what it's called but it's on the other side of the American River Gorge. I'll be out that way on Sunday and thought that checking out some other rides near there might be cool.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,904 Posts
What sort of riding?

SteamDonkey said:
Hi all-

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a ride near Auburn. I sometimes ride an 11mile loop near the Forest Hills Exit on I-80. Not sure what it's called but it's on the other side of the American River Gorge. I'll be out that way on Sunday and thought that checking out some other rides near there might be cool.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
How much climbing and what sort of riding do you want to do? There are tons of trails up there, it just depends on what sort of riding you want to do and how far you can go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride kind of somewhere between XC and Freeride (aggressive XC?). As far as climbing goes, I don't mind climbing. ~2000' climbs are common near where I live. I've got all day on Sunday so I can go kinda far. 25 miles is prolly max I can do in a day with lots of climbing (more 4000').

0gre said:
How much climbing and what sort of riding do you want to do? There are tons of trails up there, it just depends on what sort of riding you want to do and how far you can go.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,904 Posts
Clementine - Foresthill

SteamDonkey said:
I ride kind of somewhere between XC and Freeride (aggressive XC?). As far as climbing goes, I don't mind climbing. ~2000' climbs are common near where I live. I've got all day on Sunday so I can go kinda far. 25 miles is prolly max I can do in a day with lots of climbing (more 4000').
Then as sfr4dr suggested try the 'B' route here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=83861

If you park in the ravine and go up the Trail on the South/ East side of the north fork, under the Foresthill bridge and follow it around onto the road you come to a parking lot after about 3 miles. Look for the connector trail on the left and take it over to Foresthill Divide. Turn right at the Y and follow Foresthill divide around until you get back to the connector trail. Take the connector trail and then go through the parking lot and go up the steep climb from the trailhead. From there you take the left onto the tunnel trail and rip down the downhill to Foresthill road. Cross the road and go down a short section of pavement and look for a gate on the right. Follow that trail back to your car. Sweet 25 mile ride, ~3000' of climbing and it finishes with a sweet downhill section. I think that's one of the best long cross country rides in Northern California. All but the first climb follows the hand drawn map on the link above so you can use that for reference.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet will try it. Thanks! Hope it doesn't rain.

0gre said:
Then as sfr4dr suggested try the 'B' route here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=83861

If you park in the ravine and go up the Trail on the South/ East side of the north fork, under the Foresthill bridge and follow it around onto the road you come to a parking lot after about 3 miles. Look for the connector trail on the left and take it over to Foresthill Divide. Turn right at the Y and follow Foresthill divide around until you get back to the connector trail. Take the connector trail and then go through the parking lot and go up the steep climb from the trailhead. From there you take the left onto the tunnel trail and rip down the downhill to Foresthill road. Cross the road and go down a short section of pavement and look for a gate on the right. Follow that trail back to your car. Sweet 25 mile ride, ~3000' of climbing and it finishes with a sweet downhill section. I think that's one of the best long cross country rides in Northern California. All but the first climb follows the hand drawn map on the link above so you can use that for reference.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,904 Posts
New Bike

pffft said:
You gonna be on your new bike, Dennis?

patrick
Yeppers, see it's already on the roof of the car:

So far mostly just short rides although I did repete the ride I did with you guys at Salmon Falls on it. I'm pretty happy so far, I'm still trying to figure out exactally what part mix I want on it. I am definitely getting a larger rear shock so I can install the long travel option for 5.7" in the back. Also shopping around for a new fork.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,904 Posts
Forx

sfr4dr said:
Which forks are you looking at? Does the psylo feel flemsy to you? Any fox fork will fix that problem for sure.
Yeah the Psylo feels like junk to me, I can't adjust the preload so it's way to soft for a clydesdale like me and it seems way to bulky for being so sloppy. I have a couple of Marzochi shocks which I love, unfortunately neither one will work on this bike. I have never had a Fox fork but I have heard great things about them. Do you have any suggestions for a Fox fork? I was hoping for something with adjustable travel from 100MM - 130MM or so I can do either 20MM through axel or normal Quick Release and I'm not certain which I prefer yet because the only thing I've tried the through axel on is this Psylo.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Get stiffer

0gre said:
Yeah the Psylo feels like junk to me, I can't adjust the preload so it's way to soft for a clydesdale like me and it seems way to bulky for being so sloppy.

I had the LBS install a stiffer spring in my Psylo, it made for a much better ride and control. Still not the best fork , but it was a cheap, fast improvement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.