Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie to this forum but figured it might be one of the best resources to find out about riding in a new place. I've got a good friend moving out to Seattle from Denver...we're riding buddies and he was wondering about the scene out in the Seattle area.

Could anyone give me an update on the rides in the Seattle area? (He's moving to Bellevue I think.) How far are they from Bellevue? Is there an online resource for riding in and around the Bellevue area?

If Bellevue's not a great place for mountain biking what other locations might be "better"? (located close to Seattle)

Sure appreciate the help!

J

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
Your best resource will be BBTC. Also check out the Washington forum here at mtbr.

There are multiple options for good riding within 30 minutes of Bellevue. There are other places to live that will give similar or slightly better proximity to good riding but depending on where your friend will be working, some of them could make his commute a big pain in the ass.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just moved to Seattle area, some advice

my in-laws live in Denver so I have ridden there as well. BBTC is a great website with tons of information and trail tips.

From what I have seen the trails closer to Seattle, are shorter, extremely tight singletrack that loop around quite a bit due to limited land options; or freeride oriented parks. On a side note if that is what you are interested in, the folks around here have a done an awesome job of building some really great freeride areas.

Once you go out west on I-90 the trails open up and are much more similar to the trails in Colorado. Bellevue is a great for riding, easy commute to the city, and great schools; if you can afford it. I can't so I have to drive farther to ride.

Spend some time on BBTC and you will get a feel for what the different areas have to offer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wicked information guys...Thanks a ton. I'll point my buddy towards the BBTC and see where it goes from there.

We're also thinking of heading out there sometime soon but I'm not too excited to leave the easy trail access that I've got here. I'm spoiled and freely admit it... Spent the 80's and early 90's in Boulder, the mid to late 90's in Summit County (Dillon and Breckenridge mostly) and now West metro Denver area... I'm 30 minutes away from 8+ decent rides. I'd be pretty bummed if I were forced to give that up...

Are there any cool communities out east of Seattle (w/in an hour or less..) that have great access to trails?

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
j_fall said:
Wicked information guys...Thanks a ton. I'll point my buddy towards the BBTC and see where it goes from there.

We're also thinking of heading out there sometime soon but I'm not too excited to leave the easy trail access that I've got here. I'm spoiled and freely admit it... Spent the 80's and early 90's in Boulder, the mid to late 90's in Summit County (Dillon and Breckenridge mostly) and now West metro Denver area... I'm 30 minutes away from 8+ decent rides. I'd be pretty bummed if I were forced to give that up...

Are there any cool communities out east of Seattle (w/in an hour or less..) that have great access to trails?
Did you find the trail wiki on the BBTC site? That should give you a better idea where the various trails are located. There's plenty of good riding within reach of pretty much anywhere in the Seattle metro area. I'd say it depends more on what type of community you're looking for. If you like rural living, you could live just outside Fall City and ride Tokul from your door. I personally wouldn't be thrilled about commuting to a job in Seattle from there but it all depends on what you like.

·
Keep The Rubber Side Down
1,685 Posts
The WA message board

Tell your friend to post in the Washington State message board if he's looking for people to ride with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andy f said:
Did you find the trail wiki on the BBTC site? That should give you a better idea where the various trails are located. There's plenty of good riding within reach of pretty much anywhere in the Seattle metro area. I'd say it depends more on what type of community you're looking for. If you like rural living, you could live just outside Fall City and ride Tokul from your door. I personally wouldn't be thrilled about commuting to a job in Seattle from there but it all depends on what you like.
Wow... I hadn't stumbled across that yet. Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you Andy.

My current situation allows me to telecommute, so location (as long as it's not too many time zones removed from EST) isn't a big deal. A smaller community is what we're looking for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.