Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'll be in the "SLO" area the next few weeks and I'm debating if I should bring the road or mountain bike. Is there decent riding in that area? I'd be looking for 90 minute "loop" or out and back routes that start/end in the general downtown vicinity (meaning I don't want to drive 15 miles to get a ride in).

Thanks for any input you may have!

rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Since you want to ride from town (mtn bike), you can climb the grade and then ride shooters or morning glory to the eucs and then ride back into town through Poly canyon or through stenner creek. You also have Madonna mtn which has rock garden for a decent from the top or you can do lemon grove which goes around the mtn. You also have Irish hills which has a connector over to Johnson Ranch to add mileage. Those are your closest trails that are next to town. If you want to drive to the coast (Los Osos, about 15 minute drive) you can ride MDO (Montana De Oro). Beautiful overlook when you get to the top which looks out over Morrow Bay. The trails continue on the back side and you can make it a loop or a out and back.
For roadie, you can ride out LOVR (Los Osos valley road) to Turri which takes you to Morrow Bay. You can out and back or come back on the 1. You can also ride out Broad st (227) and make your way to Lopez lake or take S. Higuera out to Avila beach or continue down the coast.
Lots of riding around, just pick what you want to pedal.

·
GONE
27,411 Posts
Hi

I'll be in the "SLO" area the next few weeks and I'm debating if I should bring the road or mountain bike. Is there decent riding in that area? I'd be looking for 90 minute "loop" or out and back routes that start/end in the general downtown vicinity (meaning I don't want to drive 15 miles to get a ride in).

Thanks for any input you may have!

rob
I figured you knew about SLO trail riding for sure being from So Cal.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Bring the mtb. There are trails right out of downtown on the west side of 101 at the end of Marsh Street, and three miles away is Irish Hills, which now connects to Johnson Ranch. All maps here.
We have updated Irish / Froom / Johnson maps on the web site too.
Trail Maps - CCCMB

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Bring the mountain bike. Great riding out of downtown. Anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours if you want to link up multiple trails. A great part of SLO riding is that you can ride right out of downtown, no driving required.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.