Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw multiple you tube videos of expert riders who won't wear protection such as armor shorts, upper body armor, elbow pads.
they only wear helmet.

some of these riders are seth. they get injured when crashing.

how can someone afford to take time off from work with serious injuries?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I never ride with "protection". Just a helmet.

In my MX days, I started riding with full gear. Boots, knee pads, elbow pads, chest protector, helmet, goggles.
As i got faster, the protection became less important. My skills as a rider usually prevented crashes, and when I did crash, certain protection did nothing anyway as the speeds were much higher.
I did wear helmet, left knee knee brace, right knee pad, boots, goggles. No elbow pads and no chest protector.

Crashing is a skill, and it IS possible to crash and likely not get injured.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,428 Posts
Was reading this, I just put my iPad down, jumped off the couch into a rolling summersault onto the carpet, and sprung back to my feet. Yep, I've still got it!

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,313 Posts
I’m with you OP.
It’s ironic this come up today.
I went on a ride this morning with my 61 year old father, and my 57 year old uncle. (I’m 38) It was my uncles first ride after a crash 3 years ago that resulted in a broken arm, and a skull fracture that required surgery.
My dad used to ride MTB a fair amount but hasn’t in a while. We rode only ‘easy-blue’ rated trails, yet my dad managed to stuff the front wheel into a rock crevice and otb pretty hard. He has a light concussion and a sore shoulder.
We were all wearing the usual ‘t-shirts and baggies’ but no real armor.

It’s insane to me that on a moto, you’re not considered ‘serious’ unless you’re fully decked in MX boots, MX pants with armor, gloves with knuckle protection, a chest protector, and often a Leatt neck protector; and an expensive fullface helmet.

On a bicycle, unless it’s lift-served where FF helmet and pads are required, you’re a dork if you wear anything except a Lycra ‘kit’, that offers the equivalent protection of trash bag. at most you the ‘have a t-shirt and baggies’. Again, anything that resembles pads are basically shunned.

I ride nothing but XC or light trail, on a 120mm forked singlespeed. If the general rider culture would accept it, ABSOLUTELY I’d wear G-form style soft knee, hip, elbow and shoulder pads with a Bell Super or Giro Switchblade style Full-face helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am referring to downhill riders who ride whistler bike park. they complain bitterly after crash that broke their waist bone. they don't wear other protection except a helmet. it is crazy.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
I'm with you OP.
It's ironic this come up today.
I went on a ride this morning with my 61 year old father, and my 57 year old uncle. (I'm 38) It was my uncles first ride after a crash 3 years ago that resulted in a broken arm, and a skull fracture that required surgery.
My dad used to ride MTB a fair amount but hasn't in a while. We rode only 'easy-blue' rated trails, yet my dad managed to stuff the front wheel into a rock crevice and otb pretty hard. He has a light concussion and a sore shoulder.
We were all wearing the usual 't-shirts and baggies' but no real armor.

It's insane to me that on a moto, you're not considered 'serious' unless you're fully decked in MX boots, MX pants with armor, gloves with knuckle protection, a chest protector, and often a Leatt neck protector; and an expensive fullface helmet.

On a bicycle, unless it's lift-served where FF helmet and pads are required, you're a dork if you wear anything except a Lycra 'kit', that offers the equivalent protection of trash bag. at most you the 'have a t-shirt and baggies'. Again, anything that resembles pads are basically shunned.

I ride nothing but XC or light trail, on a 120mm forked singlespeed. If the general rider culture would accept it, ABSOLUTELY I'd wear G-form style soft knee, hip, elbow and shoulder pads with a Bell Super or Giro Switchblade style Full-face helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be careful about agreeing with picard on anything.

It's plenty acceptable to wear armor when the consequences of a crash start to increase.

In my case, the full consequences need to be considered. I live in the southeast. It gets hot, and humid. I learned to ride in the midwest. Not wearing armor when I'm doing lots of pedaling because of the risk of heat illness. I'm only going to consider it for long downhills with no substantial pedaling, but I generally don't push it hard enough to be worth it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Armor adds weight and to some degree inhibits movement on the bike and pedaling. It's also hotter and less comfortable. It's a trade off to be decided upon by the rider based on his personal assessment of the situation.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
When it starts to get too rough, I pull out.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Oakleys -> Safety glasses -> Smith chromapop goggles

Skate shoes -> skate-style 5.10s with toe protection -> mid-top 5.10s with lace guard and ankle support on inside -> low-top 5.10 tennies with trail gaiter to keep crap out of the shoe and off laces

Basic thin breathable gloves -> armored finger and knuckles with wind proofing (Leatt airflex)

Storm trooper style Roach knee-shin guards -> 661 Kyle Straight knee paads -> POC VPD -> G-forms -> RaceFace D30 Flank Shin-knee guards

Basic Camelbak -> pack with 661 pressure suit (with arm guards) for bike park only -> lightweight chest/shoulder padding from 661 (some grey bamboo spandex compression shirt with foam integrated) -> G-form elbow guards & Troy Lee lightweight hot weather short sleeve armored shirt -> nothing but a moto jersey with pads in elbow area -> lumbar hydration pack -> standard tall bladder hydration pack (Deuter suspension)

Synthetic boxer briefs -> shorts with chamois -> POC hip pads over shorts with chamois -> fancy bibs with chamois -> troy lee hot weather crash shorts over bibs -> nicer breathable compression underwear (no chamois or cycling specific short) with casual shorts over

XC helmet -> DH helmet (Urge Down-O-Matic) -> extra coverage trail helmet (Fox Flux) -> TLD Stage FF

I know the 661 chest armor would stink up pretty easily and arm guards slipped down too much. G-Forms didn't do much to protect. Always let road rash through. 661 knee pads didn't do much to protect either, letting road rash through and still letting the feeling of rocks go through.

The wisdom, "you get used to what you run" applied to me. Didn't take long for my body to adapt to wearing gear habitually full time. No knee pads around the ankles, or helmet off for climbs, or summer specific stuff. Just year round kit, except for some insulated stuff for fingers and toes in winter.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.