Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like title says...I am 5'8" and all torso. I have a measured 29" inseam and my bike is a 2008 Fuji Reveal 2.0 size small and has XT 175mm cranks(but looks/feels like a medium if you look at specs). I looked at fit guides and calculators and it point to 160mm. You can't really find 160mm cranks unless custom (plus I think it is way too small for me) so I was thinking moving up to 165mm.

My question is it worth it to move down to the 165mm cranks. Best price I can find is at Chain Reaction. Main reasoning is fit and ground clearance stated here.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=491405

I was hoping that people with similar proportions chime in.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
youre not gonna find 160mm. maybe for BMX, but not MTB cranks. smallest youll get is 165mm.

depending how you ride and what terrain your on, you may or may not see a difference in clearance. some people are just not smooth enough to avoid smacking pedals.

you may notice a difference pedaling because of the 10mm less leverage...but thats debatable.

·
Registered
532 Posts
5' 9" 29" inseam. I've always ran 175mm. When I've tryed 170's it was great on the flats, but the climbs sucked. I've never had a problem spinning on the flats, but the climbs..I suffer. I'm staying 175mm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Finished my first ride with 165mm XT cranks (have always used 170mm). I have a 29.5" inseam.

Pros: The 165 feels terrific, really allows a spin and the knees and hip feel more comfortable.

Cons: Feel the lose of leverage, will probably change my cassette from a a 11-27 to an 11-32 (This is on a 1x9).

Will stick with 165mm on the 1x9, not sure what I will do on my SS (currently 170mm).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Tubedriver said:
Finished my first ride with 165mm XT cranks (have always used 170mm). I have a 29.5" inseam.

Pros: The 165 feels terrific, really allows a spin and the knees and hip feel more comfortable.

Cons: Feel the lose of leverage, will probably change my cassette from a a 11-27 to an 11-32 (This is on a 1x9).

Will stick with 165mm on the 1x9, not sure what I will do on my SS (currently 170mm).
I would agree 170 feels a lot better on your lower body when spining ,it seems much more efficent then 175 which my bike came with.

·
Kosher Princess
748 Posts
I like the 170s, even though I'd much rather have 172.5mm, which I use on my urban assault roadies. Though I'll argue that the street vehicles are higher geared, lighter and built for swift commuting in wind swept cityscapes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all your feedback. I think I will try out the 165mm (from Chain Reaction seam to be the cheapest). If I feel leverage will be a factor I guess I can drop down a gear right? Hopefully the bike will "fit" me better making it more comfortable riding.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
I ride with 175mm cranx. I tried 165mm, 170mm and 172.5mm...and NOTHING accelerates and climbs like the longer throw arms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.