Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This surprised me.

But it explains that riders of e-bikes tend to make more trips and longer trips, so in the end

Physical activity levels, measured in Metabolic Equivalent Task minutes per week (MET min/wk), were similar among e-bikers and cyclists (4463 vs. 4085). E-bikers reported significantly longer trip distances for both e-bike (9.4 km) and bicycle trips (8.4 km) compared to cyclists for bicycle trips (4.8 km), as well as longer daily travel distances for e-bike than cyclists for bicycle (8.0 vs. 5.3 km per person, per day, respectively).​

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/st...s-get-much-exercise-riders-regular-bikes.html

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
No surprise, my heart rate is the same, analog or digital, just the speed is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The study seemed to suggest that e-bike riders got as much exercise as cyclists because they went further distances, it would be interesting to see comparative heart rate data. I don't have that much experience with e-bikes but I know I could eat an ice cream cone while climbing a 12% grade on one and there isn't a gear low enough to allow me to do the same on a bicycle. Guess it all depends on how you attack it.

The results don't surprise me either, if electric bikes can help more people get off their @sses that's great by me.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I mean, maybe. It makes sense but it's gotta be HIGHLY dependent on the person. Some people will choose to use the motor assist to spend the same amount of energy to go further/faster. Others will choose to go the same distance/speed and just spend less energy. And everything in between.

I love my e-bike, but I detest these threads that seem to be variations on "See?!? E-bikes aren't for lazy people! The internet said so!"

·
Cycologist
10,353 Posts
No surprise, my heart rate is the same, analog or digital, just the speed is different

Not the results Bicycling magazine got when they tested an emtb ridden by a 3 time olympic cyclist, "almost 20 bpm lower" on the ebike while still completing a 5 mile single track loop 4:17 faster.

And you need to learn the definition of "analog". I wouldn't say ebikes are "digital" either, they may use digital circuitry in their controllers but then we might as well say gasoline cars and motorcycles are digital as well.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
My heartbeat is lower on my emtb in even eco mode. Usually around 125bpm. You don’t really get into the anaerobic threshold unless you are pushing hard or not using power. The spikes aren’t as drastic. If I’m riding for exercise, I’ll ride my Roubaix.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
Not the results Bicycling magazine got when they tested an emtb ridden by a 3 time olympic cyclist, "almost 20 bpm lower" on the ebike while still completing a 5 mile single track loop 4:17 faster.

And you need to learn the definition of "analog". I wouldn't say ebikes are "digital" either, they may use digital circuitry in their controllers but then we might as well say gasoline cars and motorcycles are digital as well.
Most of the time on my ebike, my heart rate is around 10 to 20bpm lower than on my other bike.
Times when my ebike matches my other bike is most downhills, my heart rate is racing, my quads aching just like my other bike. When out with other ebikers, my heart rate soars.

Just like anything else, it's about effort one puts out. I bet if that 3 time Olympic cyclist was out with other strong ebike riders, his heart rate would have been up there! Or tell him to do it 5:17 faster.

·
Registered
512 Posts
This is meaningless, all it says is the riders limit then became the speed he could control the bike at not his heart rate, I also don't profess to be an Olympic cyclist. Thanks for the clarification between analog and digital it's always good to have a genius around to keep people accurate :(

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
This is meaningless, all it says is the riders limit then became the speed he could control the bike at not his heart rate, I also don't profess to be an Olympic cyclist. Thanks for the clarification between analog and digital it's always good to have a genius around to keep people accurate :(
I think it's probably fair to say that most people probably run lower heart rates on an electric bike than they would on a pedal bike, ime that's exactly why a lot of people buy them. No big deal.

I'm sure many people get a lot more exercise with e-bikes than bicycles because they'll ride them more, sometimes a lot more. I've talked to people who had pretty much given up on bicycles (too hilly, too hard) and a little electricity got them back out there.

I think infrastructure is at least as important as e-bikes to entice people out of their cars, maybe more so.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most of the time on my ebike, my heart rate is around 10 to 20bpm lower than on my other bike.
Times when my ebike matches my other bike is most downhills, my heart rate is racing, my quads aching just like my other bike. When out with other ebikers, my heart rate soars.

Just like anything else, it's about effort one puts out. I bet if that 3 time Olympic cyclist was out with other strong ebike riders, his heart rate would have been up there! Or tell him to do it 5:17 faster.

^^^^^^^ This.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I mean, maybe. It makes sense but it's gotta be HIGHLY dependent on the person. Some people will choose to use the motor assist to spend the same amount of energy to go further/faster. Others will choose to go the same distance/speed and just spend less energy. And everything in between.

I love my e-bike, but I detest these threads that seem to be variations on "See?!? E-bikes aren't for lazy people! The internet said so!"
I had read these threads before, but when I actually got an ebike I got to experience it. On the pedal bike, I have to pedal as hard as I can just to make it up the steep parts. On the eibke, I don't have to, but if I pedal hard it goes FAST. I find myself pedaling hard a lot more than I expected to.

I wouldn't say ebikes are "digital" either, they may use digital circuitry in their controllers but then we might as well say gasoline cars and motorcycles are digital as well.
Digital enough so I had to update the firmware on it, and have to wait for it to boot up before riding it.
On the British ebike site they refer to non-e bikes as "clockwork bikes".

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
I’ve been riding ebikes since 2016, some of y’all a lot longer. I own 4 Turbo Eroad bikes, a new Levo and last years Focus. Been mtbing and road biking since 1990. What they offer is choices. I’m 48 and in decent shape, For me, the Ebike turns every ride into a non- sufferfest, I get that on my Roubaix. For “me” it’s just fun and a cool rip. I ride as fast as my group goes, period. When I’m solo I get a better workout because there’s no need to stop. They are fun, but mtbs are fun also. To each his own. If your goal is to be completely physically challenged, stick with a regular mtb, road bike OR rip the emtb greater distances. I know you can get pretty spent riding an emtb all day. It’s a much greater upper body workout, and on the long technical downs, it’ll wear you out.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I got even more of a workout on an ebike, because I didn't feel a need to hold back, knowing I had a battery to assist if I did "blow up". Without battery power, I notice that I'm quite conservative with my pacing, ensuring my energy lasts throughout the ride. I'd conserve to the point that my ride is merely a ride (for fun), rather than anything that would resemble training.

With the e-bike, I can better choose what I train for, using the battery to sort of skip what I consider a poor use of my time, like stretches of paved road. The power levels meant that I could choose my own intensity levels, for whatever pace I wanted to train at. Can go out without any excuses, like needing to recover, not well prepared for a ride (fed/hydrated, geared up), or whatever other insecurity I have.

Problem is that ebike geo is quite flawed, and there's the issue of training specificity. Can't transfer ebike training over completely--it's as silly as expecting to be able to BMX well after training on an XC-marathon bike spinning out 40+ mile rides.

Frankly, all the issues pertaining ebikes seem to be personal responsibility and discipline ones. People just don't feel comfortable trusting others to wield more power, esp when it can affect them, at least if they aren't vetted.

·
Registered
512 Posts
ride an ebike for awhile, then hop on a regular bike. i think it speaks for itself which is more of a workout.
I got one brother, and I love it

BTW, I run the same heart rate ebike or standard, the only difference is the average speed. If you have the bike handling skills you will know what I mean.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I got even more of a workout on an ebike, because I didn't feel a need to hold back, knowing I had a battery to assist if I did "blow up". Without battery power, I notice that I'm quite conservative with my pacing, ensuring my energy lasts throughout the ride. I'd conserve to the point that my ride is merely a ride (for fun), rather than anything that would resemble training.
I do interval training at least once or twice a week and it's a love/hate relationship. I like to work into it and start hitting them hard somewhere around half way through a ride but sometimes I'll get antsy and start gunning it right away, 100% full gas efforts followed by brief respite and then repeat as necessary. I've discovered over time that it's as much about overcoming mental barriers as it is physical ones, maybe more so. Learning to embrace pain is part of the process, it hurts so bad in the moment but feels so euphoric afterwards.

At any rate I've managed to make it back to my house or car under my own power every time so far no matter how deep I dig.

A lot of people don't enjoy that sort of suffering and who can blame them? It goes against most everyone's common sense, that's why they're likely to get more exercise if they own an e-bike than they would if they owned a bicycle.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.