Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,780 Posts
Which part of Texas?

Austin has a good scene (bikemojo.com) go to the Austin board. THere are some guys in San Antonio at dropzonecycling.com that ride too. However, riding in Texas sucks. There is no public land, no MTN -except West Texas, and the weather is terrible.

·
noMAD man
12,211 Posts
Relatively speaking...

lifer said:
Anyone know ant DH/FR guys from TX?
I don't guess there's anything to compare to other states like CO, UT, CA, etc., and the definition of FR differs occasionally. However, the hill country around Kerrville has actually had some DH races, and as already suggested, west Texas has some pretty good hills/mountains. Alpen's assessment is a little harsh, but it's true that there's little public land of the type you find in some of the western states. Still, some of the best riding is done on private ranches and such where there is awesome potential for gnarly trail riding and freeride type moves. Around Abilene, we are members of an off road group that has been on a ranch between Abilene and San Angelo since 1979. We have about 80 miles of trail that's used for dirt motorcycles and MTB'ing. It's a relatively small group, so at any given time you're not dealing with traffic or conflict. The trail all runs one way for the motorcycles, and MTBs can go either way as long as you yield to the motorcycles. It's an awesome place with some of the toughest trails I've ridden anywhere, including Moab. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
The rouge posse? it is actually the rogue posse. :) though some of them probably wear a little rouge along with their eyeshadow on sat. nights...

They a great bunch of guys out of the DFW area. Come to Clayton ok on the 24th for a DH race you won't soon forget. who ever said Oklahoma was flat has not been to Clayton...

Skin, What did you think of the course?

·
Living the Dream
1,780 Posts
Hope I wasn't too harsh.

:)
TNC said:
Alpen's assessment is a little harsh, but it's true that QUOTE]
No offense intended. It's just that I grew up in Northern California, and I've spent the last 10 years in Alaska & Arizona. I've been in San Antonio since June. There is great riding in west Texas. However, It is a long drive from where the majority of the Texas populace lives. I don't have any problems with Texas, I just wouldn't choose to live here based on the riding. The weather in SA this year has been horrid. The trails around SA don't drain so when it rains they're closed for a while. Aslo, the Texas land policy is terrible. I am a conservative Civil Engineer & I can't believe the rate at which land is being used up & the lack of set aside public land. I know that a West Texas perspective is probably different, but in the city areas/suburbs it's pretty bad. On a side, as a bullit rider, I've have always enjoyed you're posts.

·
noMAD man
12,211 Posts
LOL! Everyone's entitled...

Alpenglow said:
:)
TNC said:
Alpen's assessment is a little harsh, but it's true that QUOTE]
No offense intended. It's just that I grew up in Northern California, and I've spent the last 10 years in Alaska & Arizona. I've been in San Antonio since June. There is great riding in west Texas. However, It is a long drive from where the majority of the Texas populace lives. I don't have any problems with Texas, I just wouldn't choose to live here based on the riding. The weather in SA this year has been horrid. The trails around SA don't drain so when it rains they're closed for a while. Aslo, the Texas land policy is terrible. I am a conservative Civil Engineer & I can't believe the rate at which land is being used up & the lack of set aside public land. I know that a West Texas perspective is probably different, but in the city areas/suburbs it's pretty bad. On a side, as a bullit rider, I've have always enjoyed you're posts.
to their opinion...especially concerning riding opportunities and trail availability. California and many other states definitely have a lot more trails. Heck, I'm going to Moab for a couple of weeks at the end of the month. On the weather issue, however, you've just hit a bad run of luck. Texas usually has better weather, as far as heavy rainfall, than what's been available for the last year, but then so have lots of other places from what I've seen. Summer is usually the only time that it gets a little too hot for a lot of MTB. That ranch I mentioned, however, is one awesome riding place. Anyone who goes away from there dissatisfied doesn't like riding.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i live in texas and its true about the trails not draining. however, in comfort (like 30-45 mins from San Antonio i think) there is a downhill race the 16th of this month. havent seen the corse tho

·
Living the Dream
1,780 Posts
I've ridden that course

It's real fun. I like riding XC out at Comfort. However, the ranch is closed during from Sept-Jan for Hunting. That was when we had the best weather here, so that kinda sux.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Frankenschwinn said:
The rouge posse? it is actually the rogue posse. :) though some of them probably wear a little rouge along with their eyeshadow on sat. nights...

They a great bunch of guys out of the DFW area. Come to Clayton ok on the 24th for a DH race you won't soon forget. who ever said Oklahoma was flat has not been to Clayton...

Skin, What did you think of the course?

So my spelling was off, what do you expect from a Mustang Grad. Anyways i liked the course, I like the course alot more than I do Cass, begginer and expert section. That just becouse Clayton doesn't have alot of off camber stuff, but Clayton is more technical on the expert course than Cass. The Cass Begginer course is harder than Clayton begginer course. All in all it was fun, I didn't crash no major bike problems, and great weather.

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys

Looks like I may make that race in Comfort. May be driving solo from Houston Fri morning from Houston for practice. Here's the link http://www.storm-web.org/images/Flyer 2005.pdf Most of the guys I ride with around here are XC weenies and they'll be staying for the XC on Sunday. As far as DH in TX, it would be nice to have a North Star close by....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts