Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, my name is Richard.

I am from the Phelan area. Anyone on these boards from around my area?

I want to learn some good trails up in Wrightwood perhaps. I am a beginner but looking for some better scenery, as I usually ride around my house and the aqueduct.

I have a 26" KHS XC 104. It is stock but I will upgrade it as I become more fit.

Hope to meet some local riders.

Richard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
dont bother looking for people to ride with on the internet. most are posers and their idea of a ride is driving a car 15-20 miles to a 1 mile granny trail and drinking a pbr at the end of the "exhausting" ride. -_- btw i live in high desert around main/phelan if you want to ride all the way to pacific crest trail hit me up i go about once a week ^^ its a good 60+ miles round trip

·
Registered
705 Posts
Your post caught my eye, but you're quite a ways from the high desert in my area (live in Tehachapi, work in Mojave). IMO a drive to Tehachapi to partake in a TMTA group ride would be hard to justify. There are some fair trails around here, but you are much closer to some really sweet spots. I'm jealous you're so close to Big Bear. I've done a few rides in that area and it's great. Lots of options. Another must ride from what I hear and read is the SART (Santa Anna River Trail) near Big Bear. I haven't bagged it yet, but plan on it soon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi Quill, I'm in Lancaster and ride up in Wrightwood until the snow falls and even a bit after! Devil's Punchbowl is pretty close to you too. Don't know when I'll ride up there next but I'll pm you or post. Send me a pm too if you get some riding time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your post caught my eye, but you're quite a ways from the high desert in my area (live in Tehachapi, work in Mojave). IMO a drive to Tehachapi to partake in a TMTA group ride would be hard to justify. There are some fair trails around here, but you are much closer to some really sweet spots. I'm jealous you're so close to Big Bear. I've done a few rides in that area and it's great. Lots of options. Another must ride from what I hear and read is the SART (Santa Anna River Trail) near Big Bear. I haven't bagged it yet, but plan on it soon.
Hey, you live in Tehachapi? Me too. Are you a TMTA regular? We should go for a ride sometime.

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's been ten years since I moved away from Wrightwood, but there are a few decent trails up there. You can parallel the road from town up to the ski area partly on single track. It varies from right next to...to 50-60 yards from the roadway.

A good trail takes off just below the ski area that climbs and follows the ridge to the left up past the ski towers. Another way to find it is to leave from the ski area and just ride up below the towers and head left on the access road at the top. (Freegravy might not like this though...it's mostly a granny ride...you'll be in your a 22 x 36 if you've got it).

You can find the trail from the top also. Drive past the ski area about a mile and a half and up to the access road across from the little parking lot on the right where the road crests the ridge. Follow the acess road up the hill as far as you can along the ridge. Leave the ridge and the trail is off to the left.

There's other trails. You can just drive the road and look for parking areas and service roads. There are service roads and trail heads, many of which are ridable.

Or there was. Like I said...it's been ten years.,...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.