Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Nobody
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
What I hoped was going to be a quick heal, just turned into a bad one. High speed water bar action at St. Joes (probably the least technical place I ride) turned bad. I jumped a water bar in a rocky section of manzanita right before the serpentine intersection and got a little off balance in the air from pulling up too hard. Tried to throw a foot down to aid the potentially bad landing and my knee took the brunt of it all. I did not crash, so maybe I prevented what could have been harsher injuries, but I got a call from the Dr. last night with results of the MRI.

As we discussed by phone, the MRI shows a tear of your anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). You also have tears of both menisci. There are some small fractures in the very back of your knee that are small and do not need to be addressed. You will want to consider surgical treatment for the ACL and meniscus tears, but not necessarily immediately. It is usually better to let the knee calm down first.

I'm meeting with another Orthopedic who repaired my shoulder a few years back to go over MRI data and see what he thinks. When I mentioned his name to the current Ortho, he said that would be my best choice. Current Doc seems to think I need some PT before surgery can be done...

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Buddy!!!!! Da heck, this sounds bad.

You in pain? Painkillers, crutches?

Keep us posted. You are a good man and we need you out there spreading the stoke.

·
Nobody
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, pain is constant right now. Painkillers, crutches, the whole deal. Hopefully I can get in to see the Rockstar surgeon this week and get a plan together.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
By all means try a PT who is also a cyclist for a month or so. And also find a good, experienced, (at least 15-20 years in practice) acupuncturist. It's one profession where professional experience really makes a difference.

·
Nobody
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By all means try a PT who is also a cyclist for a month or so. And also find a good, experienced, (at least 15-20 years in practice) acupuncturist. It's one profession where professional experience really makes a difference.
Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm actually hoping the initial PT will get me back to walking without crutches because my work depends on it. I can't get in the clean room like this and will be working on documentation of the equipment I helped to develop, instead of working on finalizing BETA tool for shipment. I'd like to be able dictate when I take the time for surgery.

My surgeon is also an Ironman Triathalete so he cycles, as well.

·
Nobody
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crap. That's a huge bummer. Hope the cost and down time aren't too grim, and your recovery is speedy and full.
Cost will be minimal. Called insurance and I $7 away from making deductible and $700ish away from making max out of pocket for the year. Definitely need to get the surgery and PT done this year. I'll also take advantage of the insurance and get back to allergy shots this year.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Cost will be minimal. Called insurance and I $7 away from making deductible and $700ish away from making max out of pocket for the year. Definitely need to get the surgery and PT done this year. I'll also take advantage of the insurance and get back to allergy shots this year.
Good to hear....

To keep yourself from going crazy while you're waiting to get the damage repaired and maintain some riding fitness, maybe, set a bike up on a wind trainer on the back patio [assuming you have one], get a subscription to Flobikes and stream the Giro D'Italia on a PC, while spinning for an hour or so daily? Be sure to add in some of the Redbull World Cup stuff when your beyond that asphalt tolerance point.

Forza!

·
Nobody
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Saw the surgeon today. Based on the extent of the Meniscus damage, he wants to do surgery ASAP. The ACL tear could have been ignored for a while since it can't get any worse, but the meniscus is a hisk risk area and better to repair now while it can still all be done arthroscopic.

1st opening is 2 weeks. Hoping for a cancellation that will allow me in earlier.

Luckily no "prehab" is required because I've been working my ass off to regain mobility and I'm good to go.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Saw the surgeon today. Based on the extent of the Meniscus damage, he wants to do surgery ASAP. The ACL tear could have been ignored for a while since it can't get any worse, but the meniscus is a hisk risk area and better to repair now while it can still all be done arthroscopic.

1st opening is 2 weeks. Hoping for a cancellation that will allow me in earlier.

Luckily no "prehab" is required because I've been working my ass off to regain mobility and I'm good to go.
wowowowow. crazy man.

St. Joes booters huh?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.