Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anne (Stripes) lead a mere mortals ride today at Saratoga Gap that I rode with. Kathlene (mtbikermom) lead the second faster longer group. Stripes is also the founder of Mere Mortals, an excellent and very active organization for the slower MTB riders among us.

On the last third of the ride, Stripes was just riding along a trail when I saw her wheel hit a 2" or 3" vertical ridge sticking up in the middle of the trail. Like when your wheel glances off a concrete curb, the wheel twisted suddenly and she fought for control. Unfortunately, the trail there is U-shaped, complicating the recovery. She fishtailed a couple times and went off the trail into a hill and the bike went down very fast and hard on it's side.

Anne was clearly in severe pain. Her arm didn't show any bone protrusions or funny bends, but from her pain it was clearly broken. We got her to an ER which confirmed two breaks on the wrist and 6-12 weeks of recovery. [EDIT: It's now three breaks in the wrist needing surgery, two ribs, out of work 3 weeks, and no riding till Thanksgiving. (Quadruple OUCH!)] She's still in severe pain, but I hope that will get better soon. She's going to miss the Tahoe Mere Mortal ride she organized, among other summer rides. :mad:

This summer carnage is getting to be all too common. Especially among our lady MTBr's. I happened to be close behind two of the fallen ladies, but not mtnbecky. And I was the second rider behind with Shiloh. So it's not all my fault :incazzato:

Pictures 1 and 2 are of better times in the first half of the ride, when Stripes was having fun.

Picture 3 is of Stripes post-accident in full MTB first aid gear:
* Splint made from Stripe's pump and my bandage tape.
* Sling made from MTB tube.
Stripes was amused at the idea of MTB first aid and suggested the picture. But that's not a smile. It's a grimace from all the pain she's enduring.

Attachments

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Owieeeeeeee!!!

Sheesh!! I gotta log in at 2am cause of this...just kidding, seriously, kidding.

Anne, I know that pain, and it sucks. Here's some friendly healing vibes being sent you way.

*I don't log-in much lately, due to family/time stuff, but email me if you need anything.

Obi and the Mrs's

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
Get better soon,,,,,, I rode with you guys at the gap about a month ago. Since then I also took a fall which sent me into the ER. Stiches on the right forearm (4") and have been out for 2+ weeks. (Front tire washed out) I may get back on the 'horse' this coming Sunday.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Anne - I was saddened to hear about your injuries. That sucks!!!:madman:

Were you jealous of allthe attention that Shiloh and the others have been receiveing?:rolleyes:

Heal fast and heal well.

It looks like this is the Summer of Injuries.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CrankyMonkey said:
Where exactly on the trail did this happen?
It happened exactly here: N37 17.601 W122 09.810
Plug the coordinates into Google Earth and you can see the location on the satellite view.

This is the spot a few hundred feet after we passed through a couple of double zigzag gates across a driveway, soon after going south of the Xmas tree farm. The gates are at N37 17.643 W122 09.850 and can be seen on Google Earth.

·
Curse you Coe!
214 Posts
Holy carp! Gotta send ya healing vibes ~ ~ ~

And no Tahoe trip?? Geez, ain't that a kick in the pants... er, maybe more like an endo to the chest off a Stanford stair set. I'm saddened to hear of your accident. Take care of that wrist.

//Daryl

·
Registered
766 Posts
BigLarry said:
It happened exactly here: N37 17.601 W122 09.810
Plug the coordinates into Google Earth and you can see the location on the satellite view.

This is the spot a few hundred feet after we passed through a couple of double zigzag gates across a driveway, soon after going south of the Xmas tree farm. The gates are at N37 17.643 W122 09.850 and can be seen on Google Earth.
I haven't been back there. Did you have a GPS with you? What was the route you took?

PS. (Stripes) Wrist injuries suck, I took a hard fall last year at Tamarancho and sprained my wrist. It took a good 6 weeks to get enough strength to get it back into shape for riding. Take it easy and don't rush back into riding to quickly. I've since learned how to fall by tucking my arms in.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Ouch! This sounds like an exhaustion injury -- one of those things where you're tired after completing more than half of the ride and you start to "forget" to do the little things, e.g. ride with bent elbows, move around on your saddle, etc. that make the difference between cruising over obstacles and crashing.

Sorry to hear about your injury Anne. Looks like it's spin class for the rest of the summer. Heal fast.

Michael

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Oh so sorry to read this...

You all did real good with the sling and splint :thumbsup:

Anne, I do hope you are feeling less pain. I also hope for a speedy recovery for you. Btw, you do a lot for mtn. biking and it is appreciated ;) Let the wrist heal as you do not want lingering problems down the road. I have numerous braces and splints if you want to try different styles! Let us know if you need any help...

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Well... the good news is broken bones heal.

sucks to have to break them though and miss the heat of summer riding. heal up quick and get lot's of mtn biking videos.

that and a trainer kept me sane this spring.... well, that and beer.

sorry you're injured that just sucks.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.