Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I live just below where this happened, and heard the helicopter on Sunday morning :cry::cry::cry:

The trails in the Sunset Ridge area (Sunset Ridge Trail, Middle Merrill, and Castle Canyon) include many sections that are challenging, narrow, and highly exposed. There is no margin for error in a lot of areas. In my 20's, these are trails my friends and I would ride. In my 50's, I'm picking rides that are more forgiving.

RIP, my MTB brother.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have family in Monrovia so like to hit up this area every once in a while.
Back in 2016, My wife shuttled me up Mount Wilson.
Ended up falling 15 feet into a ravine on El Prieto canyon and busted up my ankle pretty good.
Instinctively, I called 911 but called them off soon after as I was able to crawl back up and get myself out using my bike and my good foot as a scooter.

Very exposed and no room for error on some spots. I was lucky i didn't fall earlier in the ride as I had just rolled on past some of the most exposed, steep terrain I had ever encountered.
I am talking few hundred feet drop offs.
Be careful out there.

RIP....

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have family in Monrovia so like to hit up this area every once in a while.
Back in 2016, My wife shuttled me up Mount Wilson.
Ended up falling 15 feet into a ravine on El Prieto canyon and busted up my ankle pretty good.
Instinctively, I called 911 but called them off soon after as I was able to crawl back up and get myself out using my bike and my good foot as a scooter.

Very exposed and no room for error on some spots. I was lucky i didn't fall earlier in the ride as I had just rolled on past some of the most exposed, steep terrain I had ever encountered.
I am talking few hundred feet drop offs.
Be careful out there.

RIP....
I still ride El Prieto (was there Saturday afternoon). There are definitely some areas that can bite you, but the sheer drops on the WIlson Toll Rd. and the other trails mentioned are in a different league. In the '90s, there was an expert-level racer who worked at Pasadena Cyclery. He made a mistake descending Wilson, and it cost him his life.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even though I lived in Oceanside and only got up there 2-3 times a year, Mount Wilson was my favorite place to ride in SoCal. I still get a group of guys together and shuttle several runs when I'm back in town. I like all the trails up there but Sunset Ridge is actually my absolute favorite.

·
Registered
415 Posts
K2rider, I think u who gave me advise on Southern Utah once. Had a blast on that trip.

As for Mt Wilson.
Have only ever done the single track from the top that one time. Went up to Monrovia peak once on the truck trail. Have not had a chnse to go back to Wilson Mostly for logistical reasons but also from fear of riding that trail down alone. Pretty intimidating stuff. Would rather with a guide.
Next time I'm down there with the opportunity, I'll make it be known and hopefully someone local can show me the goods.

And I'm sorry to trample on the Subject matter here with our fallen cycler.
it really is too bad and can imagine what his loved ones are going through at this time. I wonder what the circumstances of the accident were.
really hope he on a bike right now. wherever he at.

·
All fat, all the time.
11,121 Posts
I think highly exposed lines are just stupid, but that's me. Too little reward, with a completely unjustified penalty.

RIP rider.
They might be stupid to you, but a lot of folks like a challenge. The penalties may not worry other people. Not everything has to be a green flow trail.

RIP to the rider, sad deal.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
You think any trail that doesn't have a sheer cliff is a green flow trail? LOL

The reality is that you have to ride these cliff side trails at a very controlled (slow) pace to not risk dying. That makes them boring imo.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You think any trail that doesn't have a sheer cliff is a green flow trail? LOL

The reality is that you have to ride these cliff side trails at a very controlled (slow) pace to not risk dying. That makes them boring imo.
I think at a reasonable controlled speed would work as long as you keep moving and stick to the line.
Reason I crashed that one time is precisely because I slowed down and lost my balance where there was no place to put a foot down.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I love technical riding, but the risks up there far outweigh any rewards in my opinion. Thing is, most of the gnarliest exposure seems to be in unassuming spots, like flat turns, etc., where you wouldn't normally expect it. And it's too easy to overcook a turn up there.

Doesn't matter how good you are, or think you are, all it takes is just being a little tired, or a little distracted, a little overconfident, or just plain bad luck, and over the edge you go. Because of that I don't go up there anymore.

I get that some riders love that kind of risk, but I also think A LOT of people don't know what they're in for when they head up there. Not suggesting this was the case in this instance. But for me, it just ain't worth it.

Sad news for sure.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K2rider, I think u who gave me advise on Southern Utah once. Had a blast on that trip.
Sounds familiar....I seem to recall you were going out there solo? I've been out there twice since moving to Prescott.

Just came back from a road trip thru Ely, NV then Cedar City and a couple of shuttles at Brian Head. All good for a solid 2 days of riding. Ely has excellent trails, just not enough of them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds familiar....I seem to recall you were going out there solo? I've been out there twice since moving to Prescott.

Just came back from a road trip thru Ely, NV then Cedar City and a couple of shuttles at Brian Head. All good for a solid 2 days of riding. Ely has excellent trails, just not enough of them.
Yes sir.
Slept in my truck bed on the edge of the GB Mesa next to the Yurts. Met many nice people each day and even got drunk with complete strangers one evening.
Good times.

I know it Can be dangerous at times but,
That S**t makes you feel alive.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Most of the high speed sections on Sunset don’t have a sheer drop off, as does the section where the rider went down last week.

The section in question is flat, and most people just cruise through since the trail pretty much feels over. There was a slide there recently which was cleaned up to be passable. My guess is that the rider caught his bar on a slab that juts out a bit from the left, and went over on the right.

It’s almost worse that it’s on the flat exit section. **** happens when you let your guard down.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
I ride Downieville a fair amount, Northstar, and many other places in the Sierras regularly (I live in Norcal), so am comfortable with exposure. I did one trip down Mount Wilson and bailed to the fireroad halfway down. The drops are just too long steep and hazardous to me to have any fun and in fact were making me tense up and ride like crap. I stick to climbing up Brown Mountain and the back down El Prieto when I am riding down there (from Burbank and my Mom still lives there, so only 20 min away).

Reactions: dirtmistress
1 - 18 of 18 Posts