Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Nobody
711 Posts
Well, one of my coworkers invited me to ride at St. Joe's with him yesterday, but I already had plans. He scheduled to be in a couple meetings with me today, so I'll be on the lookout to make sure he's here.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
I had no idea helicopter-spec’d injuries could be had at St. Joes’ – nothing there is technical (except for the surprised trail zombies who are always staring down at their feet).

·
Nobody
711 Posts
I had no idea helicopter-spec'd injuries could be had at St. Joes' - nothing there is technical (except for the surprised trail zombies who are always staring down at their feet).
There are many areas of exposed large rock in and on the side of the trails and you can reach some high speeds on some sections. I had a pretty bad crash there on the off camber hairpin turn because my front tire lost traction like I was on warm butter. No warning or time to react. Some nice rash from exposed gravel and rock...

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,462 Posts
I had no idea helicopter-spec'd injuries could be had at St. Joes' - nothing there is technical (except for the surprised trail zombies who are always staring down at their feet).
There is a theory that you get less injuries on a technical trail than you do on a high speed trail. A technical trail may have more people fall, but because they are going slow the injuries are minor (if at all). On non0technical trails, riders go faster. They fall less, but when they do, the injuries are more major.

·
Registered
796 Posts
There is a theory that you get less injuries on a technical trail than you do on a high speed trail. A technical trail may have more people fall, but because they are going slow the injuries are minor (if at all). On non0technical trails, riders go faster. They fall less, but when they do, the injuries are more major.
Agree. My worst crashes have always been on less technical trails, JRA (just riding along) type crashes or for stupid reasons. The more technical, the more you're engaged, prepared and ready to react.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I agree with that theory because technical trails you are going much slower and traction is generally better than on non-technical fire roads and flow trails. Also, non-technical fire roads and flow trails get really loose so washouts slams are common.

Yet, all the municipalities only build non-technical trails. The steep fire road section on Blue Blossom trail (beginning of trail starting from Lawrence Creek) used to be a rocky technical fire road, but MPROS transformed into a more dangerous (my opinion) super sketchy loose gravel fire road with big rollers.

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
I've had a friend get heli'd out (twice!) after crashing on a fireroad descent in the Santa Ana Mtns. (Orange County). Got knocked out both times. I give fireroads a LOT of respect--but mainly I try to avoid them.

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
He's always been a conservative rider, but I think he's figured out how to keep the carbon side up. Having a more modern/less XC bike has helped--and a dropper post!

·
Nobody
711 Posts
Well, to no surprise, rangers are up min St Joes with radar guns. Stopped an talked to one who said the injured rider was found down and no one knew what happened but was result of a crash.

I did not require Calstar, but folded my amkle and knee in the wrong direction after getting out of sorts on a high speed water bar jump. Clipped out to catch myself and landed on the outside of my foot full weight, bending my leg inward at the knee. Rolled down on one foot and wife picked me up on Main Street. Unable to put any weight on the ankle/knee. I’ll be visiting Urgent Care tomorrow morning. My riding season looks to be shot.

Hopefully I’m overreacting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.