Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hardtail Warrior
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be camping in Tahoe tomorrow until next Sunday so we were hoping to get some riding in. It seems that the three best trails around the south tahoe area are Hole In The Ground, Mr Toads Wild Ride, and The Great Flume Trail. Of the three trails, which are rideable currently and which aren't? Also if you have any information on how to get to the trailheads that would be much appreciated as well. We have to do loops for any rides we do because we only have 1 vehicle. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Everthing is open

A buddy just road Hole in the Ground from my house and he said there were only a couple short snow crossings. HITG is out of Truckee - you basically park at Boreal and ride under the highway, up toward Castle Peak and take a left at a sign... the rest is pretty obvious.

Toad's is real South Shore - I can't give you beta on that except I know it's melted out as well.

And finally, the Flume is open ... you can do it from Marlette (the South) or from Tunnel Creek at the South end of Incline Village.. anyway, google this stuff or ask at the local shops.

Bottom line though is everything is open but it's REALLY smokey up here (I was just in Napa, the Bay and Sacto and none of them were as bad).

·
Registered
446 Posts
opivyattack said:
three best trails around the south tahoe area are Hole In The Ground, Mr Toads Wild Ride, and The Great Flume Trail...
quick note about Truckee & HiTG - they're north of Lk. Tahoe about 20 miles, so it depends on what you mean by 'tahoe area' !

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Just returned from Tahoe after a week there. Smoke is a non factor unless you are trying to take pictures for a magazine. I ran or rode every day for 6 days and it had no effect at all on performance.

As for trails. Toads is open as Niels road it the day before he and I road Mt Rose Meadows to TRT to Flume to Spooner. HITG is way the heck away from South Shore as mentioned and will take at least an hour travel to get there..probably more with 4th traffic.

Suggest ride Mt Rose to Spooner like Niels and I did. TRT can be ridden on even days only and is fun moderately technical track while flume is just gorgeous. Flume any time. Best part is since you have only one car you can park at Spooner and take Shuttle Service to Mt Rose.

Info at www.theflumetrail.com Just go to trail maps for details

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,261 Posts
A couple weekends ago, we did a couple rides in Tahoe. The favorite one of our group was when we parked one car at Tahoe Meadows on Mt. Rose, and rode the Tahoe Rim trail down to circle Marlette lake, (where we saw a bear), then we hopped onto the Flume trail. At the end of the flume trail, we then rode down the Tunnel Creek fire road to rte. 28 back to where we were staying in Incline Village (and then of course drove back up to pick up the car on Mt. Rose). It was incredibly fun! (And mostly downhill). There were some mounds of unmelted snow, but they were few and far between. I believe there is also a shuttle service for hire to do this ride, (it wasn't operating yet when we went). Here is a trail map showing this route:

http://www.theflumetrail.com/ridingmap/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.