Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts
Discussion starter · #43 ·
Looks great. How does it ride?
Rode it for the first time last night and it was pretty fun -- it's a big improvement over the original non-banked turn that I had in place before.

Kids have been riding on it off and on since the first level was finished and seemed to have been enjoying it, but I was holding off until it was complete to try.

Haven't worked up to getting up to the taller slope yet. but I've been trying to intentionally build just a little past my skill level to give something to work towards. Not sure if I'll ever get to the point where I'm comfortable doing the vertical wall ride portion, but that's mostly in place to keep the kids from hitting it too fast and accidentally jumping over the fence (plus it makes it look cooler).

Discussion starter · #44 ·
I've been working on some bypasses and technical sections for skill development.

I was talking with my son (4.5) about putting in some rocks to practice riding on and he brought up that we needed some roots. My initial thought was to just make a small boardwalk section with some 2x3s screwed down on top of the main surface every few feet at slight angles to the trail.

Tonight I was thinking - I still have a bunch of rolls of astroturf in the garage, so what about rideable putt putt holes as trail features?

Looking at something like these as inspiration - the 2x2s they're using as obstacles reminded me of what I'd been thinking about for "roots"...
https://www.closerweekly.com/posts/...urse-is-perfect-for-weekend-family-fun-56893/

Anyone ever tried something similar? (either fake roots or making combo miniature golf / mtb features?)

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Continuing to build, but learning from trial and error how wide things should be (it's really hard to gauge the widths of decking on features just from watching YouTube videos).

Got this "skinny" section together and concluded that 16" was a bit too narrow when you add together my current skill level, the short approach, the initial uphill, and the speed coming out of the wood berm into it.

My kids have been having fun running back and forth on it and my oldest has taken his balance bike across but is a bit too intimidated to try his pedal bike on it.

The 8" skinny section coming out is likewise too far over to get to with my current level of skill.
Nature Plant Wood Landscape Leaf

Wood Natural landscape Walkway Landscape Nature reserve

Will need to go back and rework some of it later, once I get done with the next section -- a 24" path that bypasses the climb / berm.

Rode a little on it so far and the curve is probably closer to the skill level that I was looking for -- took 10 passes going around and was able to clear it on the last 3 of them.
Plant Wood Property Landscape Shrub

Landscape Garden Land lot Shrub Backyard

As a point of comparison, I took a look at some of the curved features that Velosolutions is putting in at a new park about 40 min. away from us over in Westland, MI and the wooden features there are all 30" wide with a lot more spacing on the approaches.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Luckily no HOA to deal with here and the city building department says no permits needed for "play structures". It's on the back 1/3 or so of the lot and you'd never even know it was there from the street.

Got this "skinny" section together and concluded that 16" was a bit too narrow when you add together my current skill level, the short approach, the initial uphill, and the speed coming out of the wood berm into it.
A bit too narrow is good. After a few dozen runs that is going to get easy fast, better than boring. Awesome job!

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Took some video this week of the main path around the yard:

I'll probably rebuild the roller section in the spring to flow a little better. Right now the gap between the first two it a bit too small and the first approach is a bit too steep. Will probably shoot for ~16ft. from peak to peak.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Biggest changes have been to improve the rollers and clean up some of the "sketchy" parts on the alternate lines.

I put up a Google photos album that I've been adding to as we go -- had posted in some other places, but hadn't put it here yet:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WDcxeXN5WHZWaUhBbjQwZGJYU2RDUFI0Y1NrS0l3

Still have some plans for a small drop-off, but we're starting to run out of space around the edge of the yard to pack in more features.

Thinking this summer's project is going to be to add a Ninja Warrior course...

How is traction on the wooden surfaces?
I've been wary of riding on anything wooden, since I took a big spill on a bridge that wasn't quite clean.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
How is traction on the wooden surfaces?
I've been wary of riding on anything wooden, since I took a big spill on a bridge that wasn't quite clean.
Haven't had any troubles, but we take care to try not to ride on things when they're wet.

PT lumber is the most slippery when wet, particularly when new -- after a few months of drying it gets much better.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts