Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up the wife a new Haro Mary XC 29er this week. The wife's first real mountain bike.

Planning on DC for the maiden voyage Sat morning. Any other ladies want to join us, or any guys want to bring their wives? :D

I think she'd get some benefit from the perspectives and help of another lady, as opposed to me just saying "do it like this!". :eekster:

Peace.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
cru_jones said:
So I picked up the wife a new Haro Mary XC 29er this week. The wife's first real mountain bike.

Planning on DC for the maiden voyage Sat morning. Any other ladies want to join us, or any guys want to bring their wives? :D

I think she'd get some benefit from the perspectives and help of another lady, as opposed to me just saying "do it like this!". :eekster:

Peace.
she might like the LunaChix - my wife found them to be a nice, supportive group.

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
The best of luck to you! I try about once a year to get the wifey out on her Scott bike but we never make it further than a mile it seems :sad:. You're instinct is to offer advice, my advice is don't. Let her figure it out unless she asks. Problem is my SO gives up before asking and any prodding is lecturing. But after trying for so long I think she really just doesn't enjoy it and humors me because she loves me.

We've hit all the easies too, canal, Papago, service road from ramadas at SoMo. It just ain't happening. Too bad because I think it'd be some great experiences to share and make road tripping/camping for riding a hell of a lot easier! She does love the outdoors and hiking though. Instead I just get "the look" :nono: because I've been out riding for hours :prft:.

But alas, some of us just don't get bikes.... If I were in town I might've taken you up on the offer for this year's effort, never tried the "other females" approach. Although I'd still be a little :skep: about that working as well. But she might've humored me again!

The best to you and the wife! :thumbsup: Hope it works out!

·
Registered
589 Posts
cru_jones said:

Planning on DC for the maiden voyage Sat morning.
Peace.
Oh, I was looking at those bikes for an ss, very cool. I hope she likes it!

DC is a good trail so long as she has done some riding before. Canals, dirt roads are great for total noobs and I'm not sure what her experience is.

Best of luck!

Tiff

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's ridden the sand-flat side trails south of the main DC trail, but that was on a clapped out K2 with marginal front fork that weighs 35 lbs....I wanted to make sure she at least didn't hate it before dropping a G on a new bike. I went with the 29 so that she can get a little more roll and not have to fight the bike as much.

I saw on the Luna sight they are doing a skills clinic in Nov at SMC, so I'll probably send her to that as well. I think they are doing some off bike stuff at REI next week.

·
Registered
500 Posts
think about Papago as well

Papago is great for noob riding in that you can add loop after loop after loop. Quick and easy bailout and water options as well as close proximity to canals and Tempe town lake.
Most importantly there is little to no traffic out there. A great spot for building basic bike handling skills.
I still find spots there to challenge myself.

Plenty of nearby options for your post-ride celebratory beverage as well :thumbsup:

Cheers,
M

·
Banned
860 Posts
I solved the problem by getting married to someone who was already a gifted expert rider, as well as a gifted runner, gifted tennis player, gifted soccer goalie, and gifted vollyball player. I guess I had all bases covered. I've watched a number of friends date women who they attempted to make into mountain bikers. It was somewhat noble of them but it would ultimatley fail. It could be worse. You could be so overwhelmed by raising a family that the only riding you do is on paved trails, pulling the kids in a trailer. There is a high risk idea you could try. You start riding with a group that includes one or more female riders. Invite your wife to come and join in on the rides. When she refuses, just say that's fine, maybe another day. Then be sure to tell her how much fun the rides are. You don't have to talk specifically about the other women. Just so she knows thay are there, riding with you. She may start showing up and having some fun with you, just to keep an eye on these female interlopers.

Attachments

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
The Prodigal Son said:
I solved the problem by getting married to someone who was already a gifted expert rider, as well as a gifted runner, gifted tennis player, gifted soccer goalie, and gifted vollyball player. I guess I had all bases covered. I've watched a number of friends date women who they attempted to make into mountain bikers. It was somewhat noble of them but it would ultimatley fail. It could be worse. You could be so overwhelmed by raising a family that the only riding you do is on paved trails, pulling the kids in a trailer. There is a high risk idea you could try. You start riding with a group that includes one or more female riders. Invite your wife to come and join in on the rides. When she refuses, just say that's fine, maybe another day. Then be sure to tell her how much fun the rides are. You don't have to talk specifically about the other women. Just so she knows thay are there, riding with you. She may start showing up and having some fun with you, just to keep an eye on these female interlopers.
Lucky fella. I should have thought ahead, I suppose. This is what I get for not thinking with my bike :p .... You're "high risk" ploy has crossed my mind. It sounds like treachery, playing on her jealous/paranoid tendencies (however big or small), but I suppose its only until the Bike gets its hooks in. Then its all downhill from there! I personally only know only one other female biker, and she's asked me to ride but without a pretext of a group though, so I thought that would be walking the line. I'm sure all of us with SOs know better than to disappear into the wild with a strange woman/man for hours no matter how trusting the SO may be..... To realize this, I'll be sure to hit up some MTBR group rides then rub it in. Less stress! But I can accept it'll never happen too.... Can't make her something she's not! Just more gnar, shred, stoke, nature, views, fresh air, discovery, travel, exercise, wildlife and overall awesomeness for me! :cornut:

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
cru_jones said:
Planning on DC for the maiden voyage Sat morning...
cru, DC is a zoo saturday mornings. lots of jerks who think they own the trail, do not share and do not yield. these are my 2¢: usery park - if it's not too far for you. DC has lots of rocks and some of the gullies are intimidating 2 a noob. heck, TRW from ranier to power road would be gr8 also.

i also agree with some of the other posters re papago. park on the west side parking lot and ride around the golf course and the small butte. lots of good single track that go all over.

i hope she likes it. we need more ladies (who are not super Gnarl like durt:eekster: gurl) out there. :D

·
gravity challenged
208 Posts
When I started dating my wife, she had never been on an mtb. 2 years later she was NM state champ (beginner women's class, undefeated) and regularly kicking my arse on the climbs. Darn soccer players.

:D

·
Banned
860 Posts
Greffster said:
wow where r those pics taken?
Waldo Lake, McKenzie River Trail, North Umpqua Trail, Deschutes River Trail. All in Central Oregon. We just got back. We liked Bend enough that we are talking to real estate agents.

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She didn't do half bad for her first time on the trail with SPDs. Made a few of the gullies, walked some. Only fell twice (both times in the sand), but the first time a group of 4-5 "racers" were bombing down through the sand section a few yards past the "oasis" just east of the water tower. If they yielded to those of us coming uphill it must have just been in their heads, because she was forced into the sand. Oh well, I'm sure that all of them didn't mean too...:rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts