Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
Shuteye said:
Arthritis at the base of the thumb. The thickness of grips causes the base of my thumbs to ache after a long ride:smallviolin: .
I do a lot of riding with my thumbs on top of the grips because they're a bit beat up too. For agressive DH I'll put them around the bar though.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Shuteye said:
Arthritis at the base of the thumb. The thickness of grips causes the base of my thumbs to ache after a long ride:smallviolin: .
Why not just get a pair of whatever grips and cut them short? Keep them towards the outside of the bar. The grip tape suggestion (from Hardtails Are Better), commonly used on road bikes, is also very good. I used that stuff for a while and it's a nice idea if you want to "build up" certain areas of the grip for better ergonomics. I did that last year and it worked great. :thumbsup: Light too! ;)

In answer to your original Q - yup, too anxious to put them on on a new build years and years ago. Won't be doing that again ..... ever. Kinda seems like riding pedals on just the axle/spindle. It's there, but kinda not. (don't ask why I know the comparison)

·
utilikilted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any recommendations for skinny foam grips?

Regarding tape. This is Fresno, CA, but believe it or not, we do have a hockey team. Any tape used, bike or hockey, because of the short width of the grip area, would have to be good and sticky. Sure willing to try it.

I just got a new Easton bar, like the web type graphics on the end of the bar. That and the feel of the bar got me to thinking. Decided to post on the subject since I have the flu and can't ride to try it out.

PS: I went to grip shifts because of my thumbs, found out I like them better because of the handfull of gear you can grab in one shift and they truly do take the load off the basal joint of the thumb.

·
utilikilted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Regarding tape. This is Fresno, CA, but believe it or not, we do have a hockey team. Any tape used, bike or hockey, because of the short width of the grip area, would have to be good and sticky. Sure willing to try it.

I just got a new Easton bar, and I like the web type graphics on the end of the bar. That and the feel of the bar got me to thinking. Decided to post on the subject since I have the flu and can't ride to try it out.

PS: I went to grip shifts because of my thumbs, found out I like them better because of the handfull of gear you can grab in one shift and they truly do take the load off the basal joint of the thumb.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Do you have bar ends? I have them on one of my bikes and have found that I will stay on them at least 75% of the time because they are so comfortable. Of course, you will need to drop down to shift and brake. They would be a heck of a lot smaller in diameter, some have nice grips etched into the metal, and the position itself might also take some strain off your thumbs.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Shuteye said:

I just got a new Easton bar, and I like the web type graphics on the end of the bar. That and the feel of the bar got me to thinking. Decided to post on the subject since I have the flu and can't ride to try it out.

perhaps post in the save weight forum....those guys will have some good input on thin grips

good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an experience riding w/out gips....I put on some new grips and they hadn't dried completely before I took off on a 15 mile ride. About 2 miles in the right grip started to slip on the end and work its way up. Later the left one started doing the same thing.

A long story short I ended up ripping the grips off about 6-miles in. At the time I thought it would be better to have no grips than loose ones. All can say it is not a comfortable way to ride. I do have bigger hands and the bar felt like I was trying to hold on to a slick pencil...not confidence inspiring. I took a short cut and turned the trip into about 9-miles but those last three were torture.

I would think it may be better with some tape or something so you could actually get a grip but size/hardness would be an issue.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Arrggghhh

Shuteye said:
Does anybody ride with no grips? Has anyone tried to ride with no grips? If so, what kind of bar?
Thats painfull, I have it just starting in my hands so frustrating as the strength in my hands is declining I had to get my GF to open a jar that i just could not grip:blush: :blush:

Aint growing old a biatch.

·
utilikilted
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to check out Titec porkrinds. I think from the feedback that I won't screw up a ride by attempting to ride naked:nono: . When you are 54 this can get ugly. Posting on "save some weight" seems like the next step. Thanks y'all.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.