Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

after a rather rough landing while jumping, i discovered my headset was loose(knocking noises in the headtube while rocking the bike back and forth, front brake engaged ).

after tighening it, the problem was resolved until two rides later where the headset loosened again (the jump and drops were small 3 foot at most).

1) trawling through previous posts, one opinion offered was that the star nut had loosend on its own. besides this are there any other possible causes and solutions to this problem?

in addition i discovered that there was some knocking (inaudible but can be felt through the bars)coming from my fork itself(dual crown). this can be felt mostly on the lowers and the section where the stanchions enter the lowers but is not readily detected on the stanchions esp those furtherst from the lowers.

2) is what i've described above play in the fork and if so is it due to worn or damaged bushings?

Thanks in advance!

G

·
Friday said:
in addition i discovered that there was some knocking (inaudible but can be felt through the bars)coming from my fork itself(dual crown). this can be felt mostly on the lowers and the section where the stanchions enter the lowers but is not readily detected on the stanchions esp those furtherst from the lowers.

2) is what i've described above play in the fork and if so is it due to worn or damaged bushings?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, this is one of the symptoms of worn out/ old bushings (cant really damage them?)...
You can usually see it with your eyes if the bushings are worn, sit on your bike steat, and push the bike ahead with your feet on the ground (pavement is best) try not to put any weight on the fork and keep it fully extended (increase preload if nessecary) and while the bike is moving forward, hit the front brake, and watch right down the stanchions to the axle, and you will be able to see it flex a bit, if you can, your bushings should be replaced.... Not a big hurry but should be done when possible... and not too long of wait...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.