Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have almost 3 full weeks off for the holidays so the only thing I wanted to do was ride every day to gain some base miles enjoy myself and maybe drop some lbs. I am 10 days in and for the last 3 days I cant sleep. I lay in bed tired but cant settle down enough to go to sleep for what seems like hours. I dont know if it has to do with the added riding or what else it could be. Anyone else have this issue? What to do?

·
Registered
291 Posts
racer502 said:
I have almost 3 full weeks off for the holidays so the only thing I wanted to do was ride every day to gain some base miles enjoy myself and maybe drop some lbs. I am 10 days in and for the last 3 days I cant sleep. I lay in bed tired but cant settle down enough to go to sleep for what seems like hours. I dont know if it has to do with the added riding or what else it could be. Anyone else have this issue? What to do?
I've heard insomnia is a sign of over training. It would be really surprising if you've managed to over train doing base work for 10 days.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
It's normal to have this happen, in my experience, if you are not accustomed to it and then dive into every day riding. You're over tired and your body is having a hard time relaxing so you can't get to sleep - Remember that rest and recovery is just as important as training. maybe try taking something to help you relax/sleep like Tylenol PM or something, also try taking a day off and letting your body relax and a nice massage never hurt to help your body flush out all the toxins you build when training hard ;)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Are you riding late in the day?

Sometimes exercise late in the day gets people jazzed up and it is hard to sleep. That happens to me sometimes, but it is usually when I do really hard rides after work. I don't remember it happening when I do regular training rides, even late in the day (which is my norm). If you are riding late in the day, maybe try mornings or mid-day for a while.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been riding 3-4 times a week up until I started this so I did not think it would be that big of a transition. My rides have been at diffrent times during the day. The only other chainge is not working and just working around the house, I am an outside sale rep so around the house is more active and harder that work usualy is. I may be learning that I am a ride a day/rest a day body type. I am tired just wont sleep. So I was just looking for anyone else with this issue. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have had the same issue, and it was always from overtraining. In a perfect training plan you take at least one day to rest...off the bike, no exercise! As someone else mentioned, tlyenol PM helps as well.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
racer502 said:
I have been riding 3-4 times a week up until I started this so I did not think it would be that big of a transition. My rides have been at diffrent times during the day. The only other chainge is not working and just working around the house, I am an outside sale rep so around the house is more active and harder that work usualy is. I may be learning that I am a ride a day/rest a day body type. I am tired just wont sleep. So I was just looking for anyone else with this issue. Thanks for the input.
Are you a driven, type A personality, someone who irrationally feels guilty when you aren't working even when you are on a well-earned vacation--the type who always has been be doing something productive. That might do it as well while you are away from work and have some down time. I used to be one of those, but am getting better and have learned to relax more these days and enjoy time off.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Gatorback said:
Are you a driven, type A personality, someone who irrationally feels guilty when you aren't working even when you are on a well-earned vacation--the type who always has been be doing something productive. That might do it as well while you are away from work and have some down time. I used to be one of those, but am getting better and have learned to relax more these days and enjoy time off.
Well said :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had this same problem last summer when I was really training a lot. I was super tired but just couldn't sleep. I wasn't training extremely hard either.

Are you taking a multivitamin? Start taking a B Complex vitamin. A deficiency in Niacin can cause insomnia and weakness. There's plenty of people here who know more about this than me but thats what worked in my case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_vitamins

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I am one of those people, fell bad when I am not doing something productive. Now in my training that feeling has gone has made me go to much and now my riding performance is suffering.Now I am having to take a day off. In the perfect training plan is it 1 day off a week or how often? I know it varys from person to person. I need to try the multi vitamin any recomendations? Thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Friday: i did 80 hard-ish km of road riding
saturday: not much distance, but two ~1km very steep climbs (mtb)
sun: not much was done. I couldn't sleep at night, i don't know why
mon: not much was done . still couldn't fall asleep, even though i was going to bed ~2 a.m
tuesday: AGAIN!
Wednesday: completely off, I slept fine

It could have been overtraining because I after 2 hard-ish days, i kept riding (low intensity and distance); or it could have been undertraining, because after riding hard for a few days, I wasn't doing much.
What do you think?

·
Registered
78 Posts
What about your hydration? When on an ON/OFF schedule you have time between rides to re-hydrate However when training consecutive days your fluid intake can be more difficult. Personally if I let myself get dehydrated I will have a hard time sleeping. However it will not be from insomnia but from nightmares that will scare the S**T out of Stephen King!!!!

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
recovery for hard exertion needs to be addressed right after you workout. down some carbs and protiens right away and then try to geta meal in 3-4 hours later.

this will refuel your body for the next day andgive you quicker recovery. also try a small amount of protien right before sleeping. that helps with rebuilding process that happens as you sleep.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, type A is me. I also get time off this time of year and ride each day very hard. My goal each day 3 hours in the saddle min. and 5,000 ft of climbing MTB ridin. I ride in the early morning 7:00am ish each day, start prior to ride with coffee and oatmeal, nutrition all day is key. Ridin each day is a process makin your drinks putting on the right cloths and hand washing and line drying your clothes, then you do it again the following day and again….the sleep for me is not a problem, my wake up and bedtime remain the same regardless of whether it is the weekend or during the week (work). Keeping a ROUTINE is the factor, in all reality everything we do is a mental game, how we perform in relation to others requires endless factors, we ride because we can. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
What the hell!

I'm back home now, and I did a 100k road ride yesterday. It included several LT intervals, and it was pretty exhausting. I noticed dehydration at km15 (glow in the dark urine), so I was stopping every now and then to buy some fluid (3 500ml powerades, 2 600ml mineral water, my initial 600 ml of water). Mid-ride meal was a 50 cent salad, as all my money was going into water.
Getting home I sort of carb loaded, 5 small potatoes and some ravioli, drank a lot of fluids, and a few hours later ate some more. For dinner, 2 eggs, a tomato and some bread.
I went to sleep, woke up an our later, and couldn't sleep for the next 3 hours.
:madman:
what's your input on this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had that problem that you described. I used to have a bad sleeping problem because I kept worrying that I will never go to sleep. Here are some things you can try:

-Relax by taking a shower or stilling down half an hour before bed.
-Dim the lights or turn them off half an hour before bed.
-Engage in Light reading or Conversation before sleep.
-Do not concentrate on anything bothering you, think comforting thoughts.
-If something is troubling, write it down, then go to sleep
-No caffeine 4 hours prior to sleep.

I hope this will help because it helped me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.