Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tracking my rides mainly using MyTracks by google on my Android phone and like it quite a bit. Uploading the files to google drive is pretty cool as I can archive all my stats and aggregate them at home or on my phone in the parking lot. It has segmenting so I can figure out where I slow down and can drop markers naming features on that trail. I has all the standard features like a map, average moving speed, top speed, time spent in total, elevation chart, distance, calories burned and heart rate monitor compatibility. It's all good except when I want to import a GPX file of an unfamiliar trail. I'd like to be able to download a gpx file and see the map and also track my ride using that map supplemented by gps. My android phone doesn't have an SD card and therefore has no external storage but has shitloads of internal storage. MyTracks supports importing of GPX and KML files but you have to place them in the MyTracks external drive folder... I've gone through the entire app and can't find where the app saves its files internally so I can sideload them in via my computer.

I've tried Strava and don't like it for a couple of reasons. One is that I couldn't give a crap about other peoples results as I'm not that competitive about riding or the social aspects of riding that I can handle in real life or a forum like this one anyways. The next is that it doesn't show you a current map on the main recording screen. If I want to get myself unlost or figure what turn I should take next, it's useless. I have found certain unmentionable trails by looking around on Strava maps at home, but people are getting savvy about that and not recording themselves at places they shouldn't be. It's a very useful app, but just not for me.

I'd rather not have multiple apps open as I don't want to kill my battery. If I crash and am immobile when I am out somewhere less frequently traveled, I don't want to have no phone to call for help because I killed the battery because I had a tracking app, a gps app and music going all at the same time. Anyone have any favorite apps they use that I haven't mentioned? Or have a work around for my no external drive problem?

This is copy and pasted from another forum I frequent that isn't as busy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use Strava for me. I follow no one and do not care about anyone else's results.

I use Wahoo Fitness for the Blue HR monitor and the Speed and Cadence monitor.

I use Endomondo as a third data source.

I run them all on every ride, I only track my info.

My battery drains about 25% on my iPhone 4s in about 90 minutes while these three are running plus my GPS, cell and blue tooth. I carry a spare battery on longer rides.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts