Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my frends told me that he wants to ride from Wantagh to Montauk point. it is about a 100mile ride. the longist I have done in one shot was is about 25 mils. I ride to work about once a week and it is 12 minls each way. has any one don this? could we take the LIRR back or do you thing we can do a 200mil rond trip in 2 or 3 days?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Not sure about the LIRR back, but I'm sure you could. Once you reach Montauk, make sure to hit up one of the Clam Bars or restaurants for some post ride beers and kick ass seafood.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It maybe too long tp do in one day if all you are currently doing is 25. I think the common wisdom is, in a pinch, you can double your routine mileage. So if you comfortably do 25, you could squeeze out 50 or 60. 100 seems like a stretch unless you routinely ride in the upper 60s or 80s.

A for the train, check the LIRR website about bike restrictions. I think they've banned them during some peak times on certain lines. But coming back by train is certainly an option. If you plan to do it over several days, consider where you will stay overnight. In general, there is no public camping in Nassau or Suffolk (unlike certain parts of the country where they'll let you camp on the local ballfied at night) unless you are at a park that permits camping.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I am going to start doing some 50-60 mil. rides to train.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ChevyM14 said:
could we take the LIRR back or do you thing we can do a 200mil rond trip in 2 or 3 days?
You can take bikes on the LIRR, but they have a lot of rules about when you take them on, how many per train. I also think you need a permit to take them on at certain times. LIRR is part of the MTA. Here is the site that has their bike policies on it.

http://www.mta.info/bike/

I used to commute on the LIRR and the trains to and from Montauk can get pretty crowded on the weekends. So I would recommend doing the ride mid-week if you don't want to be squashed in a corner with your bike. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.