Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Let's fly!
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody want to set up a ride or two for this week? I'm taking the whole week off from work and really want to do a couple rides.

I'm not sure what trail conditions are like, so I'm open to suggestions. Dakota Ridge/MW? Apex? Deer Creek?

Morning or around noon would be best for me.
 

·
Let's fly!
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about Wednesday at 10am at the Matthew Winters parking lot?

Personally, I prefer to go counterclockwise - up and over the MW plateau, down the switchbacks, across Morrison Road, then up Dakota Ridge.

Anyone interested?
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,290 Posts
Dakota Ridge/ Mathews Winters are pretty much perfect, just avoid the Village Walk if you like that detour off of Red Rocks trail, as it is full of super sticky mud. For a better loop part your car at the lot off of Rooney Road. Up Zorro, which merges with Dakota Ridge, left there, then do your loop as usual and finish off down Zorro. It adds a little trail to the loop and it is a very nice piece.

Wish I could ride but I am sick, was at DR/MW on Friday and it was sweet then, I bet it is perfect now.

_MK
 

·
Let's fly!
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the interest! I usually park at the bottom of MW near the sign for Red Rocks Entrance #2 right off Morrison Road. Then I cross the road and ride from south to north because I think it's a lot of fun to conquer all the rocks and climbs going up DR. Which is what I think I'll do tomorrow.

Slight change of plans regarding time, as well. I need to run a few errands, so I think I will do that before the ride, which means I need to push the time out to 1pm.

So if anyone wants to ride, please meet me at the parking lot just to the west of Morrison Road at the Red Rocks Entrance #2 sign at 1pm. I drive a white Toyota 4 door pickup truck.

I hope to have company tomorrow!
 

·
post-ride specialist
Joined
·
4,005 Posts
Might be out there about then, but I'll likely be rolling the other direction. Green bike.
 

·
MFin' Princess
Joined
·
5,488 Posts
MultiRider said:
Thanks for the interest! I usually park at the bottom of MW near the sign for Red Rocks Entrance #2 right off Morrison Road. Then I cross the road and ride from south to north because I think it's a lot of fun to conquer all the rocks and climbs going up DR. Which is what I think I'll do tomorrow.

Slight change of plans regarding time, as well. I need to run a few errands, so I think I will do that before the ride, which means I need to push the time out to 1pm.

So if anyone wants to ride, please meet me at the parking lot just to the west of Morrison Road at the Red Rocks Entrance #2 sign at 1pm. I drive a white Toyota 4 door pickup truck.

I hope to have company tomorrow!
Hope you had a good ride! Just a note to let you know you picked the right trail. Word to the wise: Deer Creek is NOT yet ready for prime time. Like a dumb ass, I scouted the whole dang thing (once my bike's off the car, I'm in it for the long haul). There's a wicked sheet of ice blanketing most of Plymouth Creek Trail. After Plymouth, Red Mesa Loop is OK, but there's even a few snow bogs on it. It's not worth the time or trouble, and will need quite a bit of thaw time before it is.

MW is in great shape, though. :)
 

·
Let's fly!
Joined
·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TVC15 said:
Hope you had a good ride! Just a note to let you know you picked the right trail. Word to the wise: Deer Creek is NOT yet ready for prime time. Like a dumb ass, I scouted the whole dang thing (once my bike's off the car, I'm in it for the long haul). There's a wicked sheet of ice blanketing most of Plymouth Creek Trail. After Plymouth, Red Mesa Loop is OK, but there's even a few snow bogs on it. It's not worth the time or trouble, and will need quite a bit of thaw time before it is.

MW is in great shape, though. :)
I really had a great time. The trail was clear almost everywhere, including the section in the pine trees with all the water bars. MW had a few somewhat sloppy areas, not real bad, and the switchbacks were dry.

I got a Hans Rey video for Christmas and was very inspired by it and tried to ride like Hans. I cleared almost every section on DR, so I was pretty stoked. Some sections took multiple tries, but that just adds to the sense of satisfaction when I finally made them.

Anybody up for a ride tomorrow morning? :D

I know it's kind of late notice, but I'm not planning ahead very well this week. I'm just doing the vacation thing and being a bum.
 

·
Now Uploading
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
MultiRider said:
I really had a great time. The trail was clear almost everywhere, including the section in the pine trees with all the water bars. MW had a few somewhat sloppy areas, not real bad, and the switchbacks were dry.

I got a Hans Rey video for Christmas and was very inspired by it and tried to ride like Hans. I cleared almost every section on DR, so I was pretty stoked. Some sections took multiple tries, but that just adds to the sense of satisfaction when I finally made them.

Anybody up for a ride tomorrow morning? :D

I know it's kind of late notice, but I'm not planning ahead very well this week. I'm just doing the vacation thing and being a bum.
If you're cleaning (climbing) most of the hogback, then you're not much of a bum. Keep trying.

Dave
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top