Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed up to ride SSV later today... meet at the bottom of SSV around 3:30, ride or drive up to the SD trailhead at Beaver Res and climb up SD to Waldrop, and take SSV all the way down.

There should be plenty of time to come up with an excuse to leave work early. ;)

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Good protection. :thumbsup:
I'd join you but I've allready planned to take friday off from work, and hit the SSV then. I'm going to see how far up the upper part I can go before the conditions become perilous.:eekster:

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Renegade said:
I'd join you but I've allready planned to take friday off from work, and hit the SSV then. I'm going to see how far up the upper part I can go before the conditions become perilous.:eekster:
SSV is 100% open. Waldrop was wet and drifty last week, I bet its a lot better this week.

·
Old, stale, negative
800 Posts
Knocked out a N to S SD yesterday and would think from those conditions most everything up there is passible witout to much trouble. I'll be back soon to verify. Only saw one small patch of the white stuff on SD.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
davec113 said:
SSV is 100% open. Waldrop was wet and drifty last week, I bet its a lot better this week.
WooHoo! Thanks for the good news. I've been anxious to ride upper SSV.
Got a question for you, and anyone else. When you're descending lower SSV, and you're just about to hit the staircase, the first hard, techy item is a sharp right descending turn, with a big rounded rock at the apex of the turn, The rock has a small cheater rock on the far side that makes it look rollable, but it looks intimidating to me. Cutting wide around the rock is less intimidating, but it's quite a squeeze. How do you ride that turn?

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Renegade said:
The rock has a small cheater rock on the far side that makes it look rollable, but it looks intimidating to me. Cutting wide around the rock is less intimidating, but it's quite a squeeze. How do you ride that turn?
I've hit that a couple of times in the last week. I rolled in each way and it was good. Both are intimidating. Wait, that whole trail can be intimidating...

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Renegade said:
Moose aren't usually afraid of dogs, and a big bull moose can hold off a pack of wolves so my dog wouldn't have a chance if the Moose got pissed enough. We actually saw one on Waldrop last week, but it took off. The one that stood me off was during their mating season last fall, that was bad timing. Dorje isn't completely stupid and broke off the encounter with the moose last year when I called him. I would prefer to stay far away from Moose(s).

It'll be nice to get out of this heat... :p

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Easier than it looks...

Renegade said:
When you're descending lower SSV, and you're just about to hit the staircase, the first hard, techy item is a sharp right descending turn, with a big rounded rock at the apex of the turn, The rock has a small cheater rock on the far side that makes it look rollable, but it looks intimidating to me. Cutting wide around the rock is less intimidating, but it's quite a squeeze. How do you ride that turn?
I put that cheater there about three years ago, after you hit it once, it'll be easy!:thumbsup: I was psyched after I cleaned that section a couple of weeks ago, must be that new cassette from Redstone!:D

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
more than a feeling

daveM said:
I was psyched after I cleaned that section a couple of weeks ago, must be that new cassette from Redstone!:D
dude, get w/ the times- cassettes are so 1970's... they have these things called MP3 players now.

:D

(he says, contemplating getting tix for boston/styx show @ red rocks)

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
daveM said:
I put that cheater there about three years ago, after you hit it once, it'll be easy!:thumbsup: I was psyched after I cleaned that section a couple of weeks ago, must be that new cassette from Redstone!:D
Nice job on the cheater rock! I think that one is justified, it makes for a better feature than the tight turn. I put in a cheater rock so you don't have to ride around that big deadfall thats been there a long time. See the first pic... Last year SSV intimidated me, this year I've just about cleaned everything. I got the "steps of doom" in the rain last week, and almost got through the flat rock garden just after the stream crossing. I haven't tried the stream crossing yet, but I've seen it ridden...

It looks tough, but its totally roll-able.... ummm, its a log roller, not a jump ;)

This is the view going downhill. The line to the left of the rock stepping stones has a big hole, but to the right might be a good line. The entrance into the creek is really rocky and tech, so this isn't going to be easy. I'll wait for a warm day and have someone else around before I attempt.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Renegade said:
WooHoo! Thanks for the good news. I've been anxious to ride upper SSV.
Got a question for you, and anyone else. When you're descending lower SSV, and you're just about to hit the staircase, the first hard, techy item is a sharp right descending turn, with a big rounded rock at the apex of the turn, The rock has a small cheater rock on the far side that makes it look rollable, but it looks intimidating to me. Cutting wide around the rock is less intimidating, but it's quite a squeeze. How do you ride that turn?
This'n?

I love that trail.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
davec113 said:
Nice job on the cheater rock! I think that one is justified, it makes for a better feature than the tight turn. I put in a cheater rock so you don't have to ride around that big deadfall thats been there a long time. See the first pic... Last year SSV intimidated me, this year I've just about cleaned everything. I got the "steps of doom" in the rain last week, and almost got through the flat rock garden just after the stream crossing. I haven't tried the stream crossing yet, but I've seen it ridden...

It looks tough, but its totally roll-able.... ummm, its a log roller, not a jump ;)

That big rock on the far end of the downed tree, by the corner, can be used as sort of a hip/turn/whatever the hell you'd want to call it jump coming around that corner as well. Granted it's been a year since I've been up there, so who knows now.

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Yup,...

I'm a lame ass, (literally), and couldn't make the turn. The 'Rock' was sketch to roll, and I saw that flat rock, so...

Hope that you get back this way for a 'Dave' ride sometime...

I heart that trail too...:thumbsup:

scrublover said:
This'n?

I love that trail.

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Dude...

gotdirt said:
dude, get w/ the times- cassettes are so 1970's... they have these things called MP3 players now.

:D

(he says, contemplating getting tix for boston/styx show @ red rocks)
I just sold my 8-tracks...

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
scrublover said:
That big rock on the far end of the downed tree, by the corner, can be used as sort of a hip/turn/whatever the hell you'd want to call it jump coming around that corner as well. Granted it's been a year since I've been up there, so who knows now.
Ah, yes... I doubt much has changed. It looks like you've found some nice areas to ride out east too.

also, to anyone thinking of heading out there, BRING MOSQUITO REPELLENT!!! They were swarming if you stopped for too long, and are about the size of hummingbirds. :eek: I would have been one lumpy mess if I forgot mine yesterday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.