Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rider, Builder, Dreamer
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm trying to plan a trip for my group to WNY and WPa in April. Anybody know of any good ride spots? We will be staying in either Ellicottville or Swain, NY and wouldn't mind making a drive down.

We're a group of XC/AM riders all on 4-6 inch bikes. We're up for anything up to 20 miles daily. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Bavington - Pure XC, No guide needed

Frick Park - Frick has a little bit of everything. Frick has some fast and flowy trails, be sure to hit Iron Gate and Roller Coster trail.

Boyce - Boyce is best done with a guide. There are 20+miles of trails in Boyce.

Roaring Run Apollo, PA - RR is one of my favorites. It is north of Pittsburgh. RR has a few ladder bridges and some features. Elevator shaft is fun, a fast downhill section.

7 Springs 24 Hour Race Course - The race course is fun and has a little bit of everything. Some challenging climbs, fast downhill.

Moraine - Moraine is extremely rocky, I have limited info on it.

I am sure others will chime in with more info. These are the places where I ride most often.

More info here.

http://www.porcmtbclub.org/

·
921 Posts
sambs827 said:
Hey all,

I'm trying to plan a trip for my group to WNY and WPa in April. Anybody know of any good ride spots? We will be staying in either Ellicottville or Swain, NY and wouldn't mind making a drive down.

We're a group of XC/AM riders all on 4-6 inch bikes. We're up for anything up to 20 miles daily. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Ellicottville is awesome, but it is slow to dry out in the spring. Depending on what part of April you go, there still may even be snow, if not, expect lots and lots of mud. I don't know anything about Swain. Raystown and Rothrock would make an excellent combo (though more central than west.) Raystown info was already posted; here's Rothrock: http://www.purplelizard.com/

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Moraine is quite rocky and now has a dedicated downhill section. In the past few years there has been a lot of people working on the trails, and I would say it is a must ride. As mentioned, Roaring Run is quite good, very well-marked trail system. As for Bavington, make sure you have GPS, lest you get lost.

·
Hermit
990 Posts
Another vote for Moraine. The trail has grown so you can put together a variety of routes, and it definitely features some technical rocky riding. It's gotta be my favorite in western PA.

Maybe try Rimrock/Morrison Trail in the National Forest, up by Kinzue Reservoir. That's a pretty amazing place to ride.

Also consider Kennerdell, right above where the Allegheny River crosses I-80. Enough nice trails to pass an afternoon and there's primitive camping down by the river.

Steve Z

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bavington - Pure XC, No guide needed

Frick Park - Frick has a little bit of everything. Frick has some fast and flowy trails, be sure to hit Iron Gate and Roller Coster trail.

Boyce - Boyce is best done with a guide. There are 20+miles of trails in Boyce.

Roaring Run Apollo, PA - RR is one of my favorites. It is north of Pittsburgh. RR has a few ladder bridges and some features. Elevator shaft is fun, a fast downhill section.

7 Springs 24 Hour Race Course - The race course is fun and has a little bit of everything. Some challenging climbs, fast downhill.

Moraine - Moraine is extremely rocky, I have limited info on it.

I am sure others will chime in with more info. These are the places where I ride most often.

More info here.
Roaring Run, 5 minutes from my front door!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Another vote for Moraine

Brady's Run in the extreme West of PA:

North Park - has a short, extremely cool freeride trail and a skills section with a fun jump line, skinnies and drop offs. North Park lso has over 20 miles of good XC Trail, trail signage on XC trails is not so good in my experience.

Another vote for Kennerdell or Roaring Run. The Roller Coaster trail at Roaring Run is extremely fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.