Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked up my Unit on Sunday and built it, so I'm an official member of the SS club. Took it out today to some trails near Chain Bridge (D.C. people?). There's still snow on the ground, which makes life interesting, but the bike eats singletrack for breakfast. Not having suspension helps a lot too - beyond my wrists being sore, I felt a lot more in control. Singlespeed is the way to go I guess...I'm quite pleased with it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Question

lucero said:
I finally picked up my Unit on Sunday and built it, so I'm an official member of the SS club. Took it out today to some trails near Chain Bridge (D.C. people?). There's still snow on the ground, which makes life interesting, but the bike eats singletrack for breakfast. Not having suspension helps a lot too - beyond my wrists being sore, I felt a lot more in control. Singlespeed is the way to go I guess...I'm quite pleased with it.
What type of fork are you running? I have the 06 Unit and am shopping for a rigid 29er fork. Also, what bars? I just switched out FSA risers for the O-O Mary and am still getting used to them. Jim

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you talking about Chain Bridge itself, and not the road? Are there trails out that way? Do you mean the Crescent and C&O Canal path? I'm more of a road/path rider in the Arlington/DC area but am building up my first MTB (SS/rigid/26er) and am interested in finding as many trails as possible within spitting distance of my house.

·
bikes are people too
372 Posts
lucero said:
Hey man,

I live on capitol hill and work in dupont.. I just recently converted my GF Tass into a singlespeed, and I'm enjoying it so far too. Once the weather gets a little more favorable I'm going to drop the ratio (probably with a blackspire chainring and a new cog) and start riding around here (shaeffer, fountainhead, etc).. you should give me a shout, I'd like somebody else to ride with.

Glad you're enjoying your SS!!

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Answers to several questions - its a 2006 (brown) 26 inch Unit w/ a Kona Project 2 chromoly fork and Truvativ riser bar. At some point I might switch for a flat bar so I can run bar ends without looking goofy. Chain Bridge is the bridge between Northern Arlington and DC over the Potomac River. There are a few decent trails on the Virginia side that you can get on just before the bridge - just some fairly groomed singletrack with a few logs and such. Its also interesting because we bike past our drinking spots along the river... And I know there's no "club". But there should be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.