Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decieded to drag my out of shape carcass up the hill today to see what Jeffco has done to Falcon. I am old so back in the day, early to mid 90's, they have gone through with a Bobcat and "sanatized" the trail and it ended up like it was about 3 weeks ago. Lot's of rocks and a bunch of places to tie your horse up. At the time there were more waterbars and that Bobcat broke them all and they had to put in the rubber flaps.

Towards the top of the climb at mile 2.15, per the GPS, when the trail makes it second to last right hander before the trees, they have taken out all of rocks that you had to swere around. They are all piled up on the right hand side of the trail....if there was only a way to get them down..they would look great in my yard.

As the trail bends back to the left and you ride up the 2 rock faces, all the rocks before the faces are gone. What they have done is fill it back in with the dirt they had extracted and patted it down fairly firm. As the trail keeps climbing up to the last switchback in trees, they have put rocks on the west side of the trail. It is now truely singletrack but it is narrow with no place to pass. They have cleaned it up all the way to the picnic pavillion. Total "sanatization" is 4/10's of a mile

The only problem I see with this will be the next big rain could cause major issues. Also, they have been doing a bunch of logging for beetle kill and the road is torn up bad. I hope they come through with a grader and fix this also, The dirt/sand is about 4 inches deep.

Did not bring the camera so there are no pics. All the other rocks that we have come to love are still there.

Did it make the climb any easier? No
Did my time up the climb improve? Yes
Did JeffCo do the right thing? Depends on what they have to say and we have not heard from them.
Will they take the same steps at other parks? Dont know but there are more important things in the world then some bad trail maintanance by JeffCo.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do you live in JEFCO? Had you done anything from an advocay perspective to share your thoughts with the planners? Did you ride the parmalee trial, might have a more appealing feel for you?

I appreciate your opinions don't get me wrong.

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
minorsway said:
Do you live in JEFCO? Had you done anything from an advocay perspective to share your thoughts with the planners? Did you ride the parmalee trial, might have a more appealing feel for you?

I appreciate your opinions don't get me wrong.
I grew up in JeffCo and first rode Falcon back in 1990.

I does not matter to me what JeffCo Open Space does unless they are taking away trials. They are the experts in the maintanance of these. So they cleaned it up. They obviously thought there was an issue...Most in the mtb community did not know it was an issue.

The Parmalee trail is a great trail also. They have cleaned this trail up over time also.

·
Registered
100 Posts
yetirich said:
I grew up in JeffCo and first rode Falcon back in 1990.

I does not matter to me what JeffCo Open Space does unless they are taking away trials. They are the experts in the maintanance of these. So they cleaned it up. They obviously thought there was an issue...Most in the mtb community did not know it was an issue.

The Parmalee trail is a great trail also. They have cleaned this trail up over time also.
I hate the fact JeffCo keeps making the trials so whimpy. Apex last year, Falcon this year, etc. The only real technical trail left now is Dakota. I pray they will leave this one alone.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
rweddy1 said:
I hate the fact JeffCo keeps making the trials so whimpy. Apex last year, Falcon this year, etc. The only real technical trail left now is Dakota. I pray they will leave this one alone.
What? The sanitation of Dakota took place BEFORE the sanitation of Apex or Falcon... :confused:

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
rweddy1 said:
Can't think of what they did to Apex last year?
Longhorn at White Ranch is also pretty technical.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
This seems to be part of a growing trend....

As I rode evergreen mtn at Alderfer/3 sisters yesterday, and the trail to the summit evrgrn mnt and the loop at the top have received the same treatment. 10 ft wide, all rocks removed, loose and embedded, sections have been filled in with loose, sandy soil.
Perfect for strollers and bike trailers

Has anyone heard what is the objective of JCOS behind this extensive trail work?

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
btadlock said:
As I rode evergreen mtn at Alderfer/3 sisters yesterday, and the trail to the summit evrgrn mnt and the loop at the top have received the same treatment. 10 ft wide, all rocks removed, loose and embedded, sections have been filled in with loose, sandy soil.
Perfect for strollers and bike trailers

Has anyone heard what is the objective of JCOS behind this extensive trail work?
:madmax:

Shame, that was a nice section with high speed off camber corners.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
andychrysler said:
Can't think of what they did to Apex last year?
Longhorn at White Ranch is also pretty technical.
Exactly, They havn't done anything to APEX in a while. I absolutly hate Longhorn. Talk about a trail i wish they would "sanitized"

Erik

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
:confused:

What's wrong with Longhorn? That trail is a HOOT. And then some. :thumbsup:
I hate it. The beginning sucks. I constantly smash my pedals and bottom bracket over the water bars. Other than that its great. I love White ranch though. They could afford to sanitize some of that super loose shale rock on upper belcher though.

Erik

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
brankulo said:
that sucks, i loved all those trails as they were. especially when i am in best shape ever this year. so which jeffco trails really remained "unspoiled" heh?
I'm pretty sure there aren't any. Those trails are almost all pretty old and have probably had lots of trail work done on them over the years.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Due to popular demand, pics of the destruction

I didn't see any sanitization till I got to the last few switchbacks from the top (that is, the shelter). You know when you entered the mini-rock garden, just put it in middle chain ring and hammer through? Then up over that long waterbar, take a right and hang on through the rocks? It's different now.

The first pic is looking back to where, in the olden days, there were a series of water bars that got higher and higher till "they" finally closed off that section and put the turn to the right, up to the last switchback before the shelter.

Turning around and looking back down onto what used to be endless rocks. I think those are the rocks sitting to the right of the trail. Now there is some nice waterbar action instead.

Then looking down past the long waterbar at the bottom switchback, going left. There used to be rocks there, too.

I was timing myself up to the ruins above the shelter but there's a bunch of work going on there on what used to be smooth doubletrack. Trucks and loaders and workmen oh my!
I was way off my best time but...who's counting? WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.