Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm not a father myself but last Saturday I was lucky enough to take a friend of mine and his 11 year old son on their first Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!:D Mark, the dad, is an accomplished endurance oriented mountain and road biker who regularly does centuries as training rides. His son, Aleck, is only 11 but he's already a Whistler veteran and has shuttled the Geiger Grade in Reno. That said neither had done Mr. Toad's. So we put together a group to support their inaugural ride. After Mr. Toads, for good measure, we shuttled a few trips down the Corral and Rattlesnake (Forrest Service created) "DH" trails that are very close to the parking lot at the end of Mr. Toad's. Needless to say Aleck ripped it up and, the last I heard, the crash count was only one for Aleck and three for his dad!:eekster: I'm sure it won't be long before both father and son are back to clean the few sections that prudence dictated they walk on this initial ride.

Aleck on the right, Mark (his dad) in the middle, me on the left pushing my behemoth VP Free up the TRT to get to the top of Mr. Toad's:
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Aleck on Lower Mr. Toad's:
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Mountain bike

Aleck on the armored berm on Lower Mr. Toad's:
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Bob, our primary photographer on Lower Mr. Toad's: (Thanks for taking pictures, Bob!)
Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Mountain bike

Me, the ancient guy, lumbering off a little rock on Lower Mr. Toad's:
Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Mountain bike

Have fun, be safe!

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
Awesome. That's very cool that your friend's son could handle most of Toad's. There's a lot of goodness to be had there. Way to start him out right..... although now you've totally spoiled him for any other trails. I can hear it now.."But this isn't as fun as Toad's"..... "Not much is, son".

I just got back from Tahoe and I applaud your discipline to stop and shoot pics. I did not have the will power to do that. (Edit: I did stop and rest once though.... can't remember ever doing that on a downhill.)

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Props to both father and son! And also to the support team that rode with them. It can be hard sometimes to find other adults that are willing to slow the pace down a bit for a ride with somebodies kid.

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts