Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be driving through AZ on my way from Las Vegas to St. Louis during the first week in January. I plan on poking around for a few days in AZ. If anyone has recommendations for great trails or areas to hit up, preferably within an hour or so from 40, it would be a huge help. I'm looking for fast cross country and/or fairly technical trails...

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
OMFG will it never end??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

To the OP: We're working on a sticky "where should I ride" post because this comes up several times each week. A simple search will turn up many, many recommendations. Please, please, please read through the forum for a few minutes and you'll find puh-lenty of leads. Also check out the mtbr trail reviews. Also check out one or more of the many guidebooks available for the state, all available through Amazon.com.

p.

G

·
Sure go ahead and bite his head off. We need to reserve the valuable MTBR AZ board for all of the heady mountainbike related conversations that go on here. Not. If it wasn't for people asking where to ride it would basicly be the same 5 or 6 guys blabbering back and fourth about nothing.

Actually it's good advice. Do a search or look in the trail reviews. I don't know enough about the area you're asking about to advise you.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
akblock said:
I am going to be driving through AZ on my way from Las Vegas to St. Louis during the first week in January. I plan on poking around for a few days in AZ. If anyone has recommendations for great trails or areas to hit up, preferably within an hour or so from 40, it would be a huge help. I'm looking for fast cross country and/or fairly technical trails...
Sedona should fit the bill. Check the descriptions in the Trail Review section and/or stop and ask these guys when you get there, http://www.bike-bean.com/

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
No! It'll never end now!

Paul B said:
OMFG will it never end??? :mad: :mad: :mad: p.
In all fairness (??), my post was more to meet some of those "friendly AZ natives" we've heard about. We did hear about some Paul B guy that has a book to che....ck out, oh wait, that's you huh. :confused:

My take on the multiple inquiries you moderators have to deal with on this subject are more on the lines that alot of us guys have trouble getting together, asking for help/directions etc. And you know how we can get when it comes to reading the directions!! :eek:. I think it's more of a subtle way of asking "Hey, we're coming into your neck-o-the-woods and I/we'd like to get together for a play day with some locals", but post it as "Where should we ride" hoping to get some volunteers without really asking or inviting oneself. I guess we could stop, waste valuable trail time to figure out which way we should go, and between my bro & I could take awhile. :rolleyes: . Plus it adds to the ride to have a narrator pointing out all the special highlights of the areas. I have a feeling it goes way back to when our mothers used to plan our playtime activities for us, but that's another topic isn't it?.....

You know dang well if it was a gal/girl/chickee (no bashing intended) asking most everyone & their brother would chime in and step up to be trailride steward, no prob. Talking about system overload....sorry guys, just being honest. ;)

Now with that said, I'm going to check on getting your book and start planning for our trip. :D

JM

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
JMac47 said:
In all fairness (??), my post was more to meet some of those "friendly AZ natives" we've heard about. We did hear about some Paul B guy that has a book to che....ck out, oh wait, that's you huh. :confused:

My take on the multiple inquiries you moderators have to deal with on this subject are more on the lines that alot of us guys have trouble getting together, asking for help/directions etc. And you know how we can get when it comes to reading the directions!! :eek:. I think it's more of a subtle way of asking "Hey, we're coming into your neck-o-the-woods and I/we'd like to get together for a play day with some locals", but post it as "Where should we ride" hoping to get some volunteers without really asking or inviting oneself. I guess we could stop, waste valuable trail time to figure out which way we should go, and between my bro & I could take awhile. :rolleyes: . Plus it adds to the ride to have a narrator pointing out all the special highlights of the areas. I have a feeling it goes way back to when our mothers used to plan our playtime activities for us, but that's another topic isn't it?.....

You know dang well if it was a gal/girl/chickee (no bashing intended) asking most everyone & their brother would chime in and step up to be trailride steward, no prob. Talking about system overload....sorry guys, just being honest. ;)

Now with that said, I'm going to check on getting your book and start planning for our trip. :D

JM
No, there's no problem with looking for a local to hook up with. We show people around local trails all the time. The problem is that most of the posts are along the lines of "We're gonna be in town, where should we ride?" More often than not, there's no mention of skill level, the type of trial they're looking for and most likely the search function has not been used. akblock covered most of those bases, but got caught in the crossfire.

It would be nice to see a post that indicated that even a tiny bit of research had been done. You know, something like "I've been reading posts about XYZ trial, and plan to ride it when I'm in town next month. Any other rides similar to this one that I should know about? Anybody feel like showing us around? We'll buy a post ride beer."

Seriously, look back over the last 2 months of posts here and see how many times the same questions have been asked.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
akblock said:
Search this forum for Kingman, Sedona, and Flagstaff and you should find lots of information about the trails. Flagstaff will likely be under snow in January, so don't count on that. Sedona is probably your best bet.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
JohnniO said:
Sure go ahead and bite his head off. We need to reserve the valuable MTBR AZ board for all of the heady mountainbike related conversations that go on here. Not. If it wasn't for people asking where to ride it would basicly be the same 5 or 6 guys blabbering back and fourth about nothing.

Actually it's good advice. Do a search or look in the trail reviews. I don't know enough about the area you're asking about to advise you.
I think I may be one of those 5 or 6 guys. Nonetheless, I agree with you. I don't mind the "I'm coming to town" threads at all. The more the merrier. Seriously. Besides, after a few posts, these threads eventually turn into a blabbering back and forth about nothing fest, which happens to be my specialty.

PS: If it wasn't for the blabbering back and forth about nothing fests, this forum would be nothing more than an "I'm Coming to Town" fest.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
It's...all...OK...

Well, I'm OK with responding to these sorts of inquiries. I mean, it just takes a minute or two to throw out some ideas and start/maintain a dialogue. I know that, in other forums like X-Box, iPod, Audio-Visual stuff, HD TV, etc., I often don't feel like searching and searching, so I just post up a question and usually get quick and good responses. Yeah, people always debate the "post vs. search" thing, but friendliness and helpfulness usually win out. And to think I'm a Republican... :eek:

That said, what about a sticky post up top entitled "Suggested Rides for Visitors" and let it accumulate good content. Just don't let Dirdir post in it, 'cause he'll ruin it. And yetisurly, for that matter.

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
JohnniO said:

I agree with you, nothing wrong with people asking for some advice on trails, also if people wanted to spend their money on a guide book they wouldn't be asking questions here on the forums.

I say that if someone (AZ Mikey) is annoyed with answering trail questions, then don't reply. It's pretty simple.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Umbrous said:
I agree with you, nothing wrong with people asking for some advice on trails, also if people wanted to spend their money on a guide book they wouldn't be asking questions here on the forums.

I say that if someone (AZ Mikey) is annoyed with answering trail questions, then don't reply. It's pretty simple.
I'm enjoying the irony that your post includes no trail advice whatsoever.

When I post the "where to ride" sticky, can I count on your support in posting your own recommendations?

p.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Just don't let Dirdir post in it, 'cause he'll ruin it. And yetisurly, for that matter.[/QUOTE]
I think that your are trying to illicit some sort of inflammatory comment from me. Normally, I would, but the "new, watchful eye" attitude of MTBR will get me kicked out for sure. From now on I am restricted to canned responses that conform to the corporate structure of the world.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
yetisurly said:
I think that your are trying to illicit some sort of inflammatory comment from me. Normally, I would, but the "new, watchful eye" attitude of MTBR will get me kicked out for sure. From now on I am restricted to canned responses that conform to the corporate structure of the world.
Yes, fine, fine. You're being held down by The Man. So anyway, can I count on you to provide input on the "where to ride" sticky?

p.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
yetisurly said:
lol... :p

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Paul B said:
Yes, fine, fine. You're being held down by The Man. So anyway, can I count on you to provide input on the "where to ride" sticky?

p.
Paul, you should know that any response from me is going to be negative, hurt someones feelings, irrelevent, non-commital, or unrelated to the original post. Why bother asking me to support The Man and its agenda? You might as well ask me to eat green eggs and ham.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
yetisurly said:
Paul, you should know that any response from me is going to be negative, hurt someones feelings, irrelevent, non-commital, or unrelated to the original post.
Must...fight...temptation...to...sig...this... :D

I can always hope you'd have something constructive to add. You're already enjoying the benefits of The Man and His Discussion Boards; why piss where you swim?

p.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
Paul B said:
Must...fight...temptation...to...sig...this... :D

I can always hope you'd have something constructive to add. You're already enjoying the benefits of The Man and His Discussion Boards; why piss where you swim?

p.
We all piss where we swim. I piss where I live, don't you? Piss is a fact of life.

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
Paul B said:
I'm enjoying the irony that your post includes no trail advice whatsoever.

When I post the "where to ride" sticky, can I count on your support in posting your own recommendations?

p.
Yeah well, when someone asks about a White Tanks, T100, Estrella, McDowell, or SoMo I'll give some advice, other than that, sorry I haven't had the time to venture out of Phoenix to ride.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
here is an acceptable response

yetisurly said:
Paul, you should know that any response from me is going to be negative, hurt someones feelings, irrelevent, non-commital, or unrelated to the original post. Why bother asking me to support The Man and its agenda? You might as well ask me to eat green eggs and ham.
OMFG will it never end??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Umbrous said:
Yeah well, when someone asks about a White Tanks, T100, Estrella, McDowell, or SoMo I'll give some advice, other than that, sorry I haven't had the time to venture out of Phoenix to ride.
Well...the point is to be proactive and post what you know to that thread. Go read the sticky and see how you can help out.

p.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.