Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on ride out from camp locations within a 5 hour drive of Toronto. I have camped at Turkey Point and love the ride from the campsite feel.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Looking for advice on ride out from camp locations within a 5 hour drive of Toronto. I have camped at Turkey Point and love the ride from the campsite feel.
Albion Hills Conservation Area. Very popular riding spot, make sure you scout the campsites, some are wide open and crappy, and some are full tree cover. You're also close enough to Bolton for Tim's runs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mont Tremblant could be interesting, but its more like 6 hours from Toronto.
Gatineau park across the river from Ottawa has some nice trails and camping on the lakes (Philippe, Taylor and La Peche), first two are right on the trails, XC style, but you can easily find some gnar.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Buckwallow Cycling Center and associated KOA is another great destination on Ontario.

Haliburton Forest and Wildlife Center (though can't comment too much on the riding there).

Ellicotville (McCarthy Hill State forest appears to allow primitive camping).

Right at your limit is around State College Area in PA. Probably primitive camping in the state forests that surround the MTBing or I've stayed at Greenwood Furnace State Park.

And above your limit, but I think work mentioning is Raystown lake PA (listed as 6.5 hours by google maps).

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Right at your limit is around State College Area in PA. Probably primitive camping in the state forests that surround the MTBing or I've stayed at Greenwood Furnace State Park.
I just did the 5 day Trans-Sylvania MTB Epic there. I honestly don't know why anyone would WANT to ride there on purpose. So... many... rocks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looking for advice on ride out from camp locations within a 5 hour drive of Toronto.
You can do it within about a 1.5 hour drive from TO. If you head up the 115 you can camp at the Sandaraska Park From there you can head into the Ganaraska Forest. You will enter into the motorcycle trails, they are great to MTB on. (I road those trails last Friday.) Loads of single and double track. Signage is sparse so be sure to bring your Trail Forks app.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Close to Montreal you can camp at Oka, a park and ride nice trails from Tomahawk the bike shop next to it
Going to try Oka this fall.

Any camping recommendations for most quiet/private spot in the park?

Any route recommends in that trail network for a decent ride 20km mix of blue/black trails?

Thanks,

·
Ride what you like!
1,077 Posts
Note: Quebec trails get pretty tough. On average, what is classified as blue in Ontario is Green in la belle province, and Ontario's black is blue in French. Maybe it's a translation thing...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Trails At Jakes Rocks PA 2hrs from the Peace Bridge.
Dispersed camping in the National Forest. Developed camping no hydro below on the reservoir at Dewdrop ride in ride out or full hookups 15min down the road at Kiasuthia.

Allegany State Park Redhouse 1.5hrs from Peace Bridge. Ride out of the campground up Patterson trail to the summit on xc ski trails there is a 4mile single track up top ride back down. Ellicotteville Trails 20min Harris Hill trails 40min Jakes Rocks 45min.

Also +1 for Turkey Point. Hard to beat for early or late season trips when you don't want rain ruining your riding.

Ontario County Park Gannett Hill Finger Lakes 2hrs from Peace Bridge Trails within the park. Stop at Dryer Road in Victor NY on your way home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.