133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start:
Lat. 37°30'24.68"N
Long. 122°21'39.65"W

Destination:
Lat. 37°36'16.51"N
Long. 122°27'28.26"W

Permit only. About 23 miles point-to-point. Ride starts with a 1.4 mile climb to the top of the first ridge:

This was the typical view I had all day. Actually, I found myself way behind a lot but that was cool too. I can't think of better places to just spin pedals and think, looks for wildlife, etc. The group I was with was very conditioned and all had nice bikes. There was a Truth, Blur, 5-Spot, and so forth. I hope they didn't wait long for me at the waypoints. At the top of that climb was this view:

The dam and bridge survived the quake of 1906 (?) due to interlocking bricks and design brillance. If it would have failed, the gulley between Belmont and Hillsborough would have had a little water through there. :D

After 5-points, another climb into the Montara moutains. Bird's eye views of South SF and SFO were really easy on the right side and this on the left:

The final point was where the founder of California, Gaspar de Portola, found the SF Bay. From the point below, he could probaly see his wooden, 3-masted (?) sailing ship parked in the Pacific right off Pacifica and looked over the SF Bay.

I wonder what he called it back then? Anyway, that was the longest I have been on my FS MTB. Rides that long or better have usually been on the roadie but this was a lot of fun. Zero technical and NO sinlge track but the downhill speeds were pretty good and the company was unmatched. I want to be able to climb those long uphills like these gents!

I hope the pictures are enjoyable...

· Registered
257 Posts
Sounds like a cool ride!

This summer I was hitchhiking back into Spain from the first Maxiavalanche in Andorra. The kid who was giving me a ride let me crash at his parents house for a night in Belegeur, Lleida, in the Catalan region of Spain. We went out to find something to do in the evening, and he told me Portola was from his village, Belegeur. It sounded preposterous, then he showed me this statue. The village has a population of 5000 people, and has remains dating back from pre-Roman times. Woa.

Portola's statue in his hometown:

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scheckler said:
those views are beautiful. I used to live in Belmont and always want to ride up there. Did not know back then about the permit thing.

I love the girl in your avatar :thumbsup:
Yeah, it's pretty exclusive although anyone get get a permit -- space allowing. I'm reluctant to give the URL out for where you get them but this forum is special and I imagine good for a docent or two:

SF Water: Fifield Cahill Range (click on the butterfly)

I know a lot of work went into getting this trail opened up for riders, hikers, and equestrians so I would hate to have it get too popular, too fast. Still, I'm really glad I got a chance to do it. The pic below is the view over SFO (and a shameless promtion for old Marins)... very cool.

Concerning the avatar, everyone's got a gimmick. ;)

Attachments

· screamer
1,396 Posts
Thanks for posting. I had no idea this place existed & will definitely give it a try. I also had no idea how high up 280 was at this point: sketchy!
And what's up with this house? It's always been a topic of wild speculation & rumor-mongering for us (timothy leary's LSD lab, heaven's gate cultists, muppet love palace, etc.).

· Bomber
982 Posts
My grandpa was a termite inspector and he actually worked on that place. Said some well to do guy just bought it like that, but he didnt know the reason for its unique architecture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.