Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm heading down to SD from San Luis Obispo and am looking for a ride along the way. I rode San Juan last time I went south and it was awesome but looking for another good ride along the way. Somewhere close to the 101, 405, or 5. I ride a Bronson, don't mind pedaling but prefer fun technical single track. Thanks for the tips, if you have questions about SLO, I can trade trail secrets!

·
Registered
817 Posts
This is only slightly out of your way, but you might enjoy Chumash-Johnson-Hummingbird in Simi Valley. It's got some nice technical single track, some of the best in the greater Los Angeles area. Closer to your route and also nice is Sycamore Canyon at Pt. Mugu State Park. Start at the end of Wendy drive (take the Wendy off ramp on 101), ride up Guadalasco and down Backbone. This is not as technical as Hummingbird but still nice riding, mostly on singletrack.

In the Santa Barbara area, a good ride would be up Romero Canyon and down Cold Springs. You connect the two along the Camino Cielo fire road at the top and some paved road at the bottom. Cold Springs is more technical that the other rides I mentioned, lots of fun.

Have a great ride!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is only slightly out of your way, but you might enjoy Chumash-Johnson-Hummingbird in Simi Valley. It's got some nice technical single track, some of the best in the greater Los Angeles area. Closer to your route and also nice is Sycamore Canyon at Pt. Mugu State Park. Start at the end of Wendy drive (take the Wendy off ramp on 101), ride up Guadalasco and down Backbone. This is not as technical as Hummingbird but still nice riding, mostly on singletrack.

In the Santa Barbara area, a good ride would be up Romero Canyon and down Cold Springs. You connect the two along the Camino Cielo fire road at the top and some paved road at the bottom. Cold Springs is more technical that the other rides I mentioned, lots of fun.

Have a great ride!
Thanks, I will check them out! I've ridden in Santa Barbara a few times and am actually gonna ride there Saturday on my way back thru. I've ridden Romero Canyon to Ysidro and also up Tunnel Rd to Jesusita. Anything good closer to SD?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
There's too many to list. I rode Romero on my way back from SLO on thursday (rode irish hills to johnson ranch and back in SLO, that's a fun loop), it's in really good shape, loop it twice and you get a nice 2 hour ride. romero to cold springs is also good but alot of road riding. I would probably avoid Guadalasco, not really all that fun IMO and a lot of fire road just to get there, but chumash to johnson to hummingbird is a great ride. The santa monica's have some great trails but you'd need a guide to find the good ones. Aliso is awesome, some of the best trails imo, but again the best ones are off the grid. Cheseboro to sulfer springs to suicide back to dead cow trail to sulfer springs is another great loop and my home ride. in SD, anderson TT and Noble are probably the most famous. hit me up if you want somebody to ride with in the santa monica to simi valley area.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I think I'm gonna do some exploring in SD. I was thinking of checking out La Costa in Carlsbad and then heading over to Ted Williams. Is TW fun on a 6" bike or better suited for a big bike?

·
Registered
892 Posts
So I think I'm gonna do some exploring in SD. I was thinking of checking out La Costa in Carlsbad and then heading over to Ted Williams. Is TW fun on a 6" bike or better suited for a big bike?
That really depends on your skill level, there are some big jumps out there. TW is good if you want to session jumps or hit a couple of runs but if you are looking for a trail ride it's not the place to go. La Costa and Calaveras might be more to your liking.

·
Registered
12,857 Posts
Yep, way to many to list in that area. You could ride a different trail everyday for the rest of your life. I'd suggest anything from Chesebro in Agoura to Sycamore Canyon in Newbury park and from those two places to the beach. It's a great area to ride.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, way to many to list in that area. You could ride a different trail everyday for the rest of your life. I'd suggest anything from Chesebro in Agoura to Sycamore Canyon in Newbury park and from those two places to the beach. It's a great area to ride.
Yeah, I know the possibilities are almost endless, that's why I was asking for advice and suggestions. Was gonna do Hummingbird but a little out ofthe way. Maybe stop in Aliso and then Carlsbad.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
You can do some really fun rides by combining Laguna Coast with El Moro, but you'll need a local to guide you (many of the best trails are currently undocumented). You could cross-post this on STR to find somebody.

Failing that, Aliso is fun, but crowded on the weekend. You'll want to climb Cholla, then drop Rock-it and Car Wreck for starters--and Stairsteps if you like tech and don't mind HAB-ing back up the trail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.