Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - recent build; 3rd outing impressions......

2011 Black Licorice Air 9 Carbon - matching Black Licorice Carbon Fork - size large

I went and hit some local trails and did 31.5 miles in Lake Norman State Park (all trails and a few twice to get mileage); and a few laps at a local MTB park - Sherman Branch; a few days earlier (12+ miles) and (12+ miles) two separate days.

Set up: easy build but still having a bit of creak from both head tube area and BB in certain positions. Will be dealing with those this week.....

Ride: absolute power surge when you put the pedal down......I can stress this enough. I have had a few light bikes and they did not feel as responsive....the fork and frame are an absolute match for me as a SS. Even with all of the carbon - First for me….its feels extremely strong. out of the saddle or seated....

All in all it tracks beautifully, climbs feel effortlessly and the only issue is I can't get enough seat time......:madman:

The tire pressure is key though....I played around a bit and have it at 20front and 24rear - tubeless and I'm 215-220lbs with gear 6'2" and 34.5 inseam……feels pretty dialed. Running 32x18

• Industry 9 wheels - SS
• Carbon Salsa Pro-Moto 7degree bar
• Carbon Race Face Next SL post
• Carbon Truvative Noir SS cranks
• Panaracer Rampage 2.35
• Maxxis Igniter 2.1
• Thompson masterpiece stem
• Hayes Prime Brakes (pro's)
• Hayes Prime Rotors
• Surly - 18t cog
• E-13 32t chain ring / salsa bash ring
• Shimano SPD pedals
• Salsa skewers
• ESI chunky grips
• Cain creek 110 headset

18.5lbs

AZCANC, regards………….

also; can't thank Bikes East in matthews (actually a non-stocking) Niner dealer Beastly Page for all of there help in getting the parts and the frame / fork in a timely fashion.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Never have ridden a ridge fork, how is the impact of say 2 foot drop? We dont have many big drops here is Michigan but 2 footers are common.

thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drops offs dont feel to bad, hitting at speed is my thing...ride thru it, unless very technical. At sherman branch, 1.5 foot log rollers at speed seem to be fine.....I have a Jet9 for all Mtn stuff...

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
you are two red h2o cages from "It's like... How much more black could it be? And the answer is none, none more black."

spinal tap in case you don't know...

·
recent ss convert
19 Posts
A few weeks ago I got my Niner carbon fork to go on my One 9. This thing just rocks. I feel like it just wants to speed through everything, where my suspension fork was just going along for the ride. I've had no problems with steeper descents and drops, but I've also been picking my lines, wherever I go. As for log overs, it still does just fine, just takes a bit of getting used to vs a suspension fork. I went over the bars once on a log over, but that was due to going extremely slow and not paying attention.

AZCANC-your bike looks great man! You may wanna try some Arundel cages to go more black. I'm loving the one one I have now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.