Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have an old (probably about 10 years) Mongoose Rockadile that I'm going to upgrade a little bit at a time. First is the fork, and my basic question is about ride height. The fork on the bike now is a Rock Shox, but I have no idea what model, probably the original (I'm not the original owner of the bike).

One of the shocks I'm considering is the Manitou Black Super Air, and the ride height is listed as 470mm (~18.5in), axle to race, for the 100mm version. Thing is, axle to race on my bike is only about 16.5 inches. I don't see ride height listed as a spec item on many other forks, and I didn't even think about it before seeing this and measuring my own.

What types of concerns should I have here? What are my options? Am I missing something obvious, or will the new fork simply raise the front end by 2" and mess up the overall geometry of the bike?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Howard

P.S., the other fork I'm considering is the Marzocchi MX Pro ETA. Is there a general consensus among the group on which is better? Thanks again...

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
hhendler said:
One of the shocks I'm considering is the Manitou Black Super Air, and the ride height is listed as 470mm (~18.5in), axle to race, for the 100mm version. Thing is, axle to race on my bike is only about 16.5 inches.
will the new fork simply raise the front end by 2" and mess up the overall geometry of the bike?
Marzocchi MX Pro ETA.
If those measurements are correct, the taller fork will definitely affect handling

Marzocchi MX series are pretty decent forks but I think the 100mm Marz will be even taller than the Manitou.

Just keep the old bike running "as is" until you can afford to get a new bike?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The MX Pro ETA is....

a bit taller than the Manitou at 488mm ac height. What you want to try and do is stay within 25mm of your original ac height if at all possible. Basic rule of thumb for ac height is, for every inch (approximately) that you increase ac height you slacken the head angle 1 degree. A one degree change usually isn't that bad. It will slow the handling a little, which is not always a bad thing on many older hardtails, and you raise the front end a bit. This requires some minor adjustments to your climbing position, but nothing you can't easily get used to. Get much beyond that and you start running into wheel flop, front end push in corners etc. And that can be a real pain to sort our. So what you need to look for is a fork with an ac height in the 419 to 440mm range. This presents a tough problem as most modern forks exceed that range by quite a bit. The only two forks that I am aware of that fall into that catagory are the Rock Shox SID Race at 444mm ac height for 80mm of travel, and the Rock Shox Reba at 430mm for 85mm of travel. Both of these forks are likely to be quite a bit more expensive than the Black Super. But would come the closest to preserving the handling of the bike.

I'd go along with pertime on this one and say wait for a new bike unless you are REALLY in love with the Rockadile. Another option might be ebay. They often have older RS forks that would suit your bike, and would likely be consderably less expensive than going new. I'd be inclined to get the old fork working correctly if at all possible and wait. Which I understand may not be an option. The condition of the fork and/or parts availability may make it impossible. The very last option I would consider would be the Black. But you never know, you may like the bike with the taller front end. Your choice of course.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squash,
Fantastic reply, touched on every point I need to consider. I'm not sure which road I'll ultimately take here, but I feel like I have every bit of information to make my decision.

You dah man.

Thanks,
Howard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.