Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Wildcat's 2 weeks ago. 1 ride so far. Broke them in for the first week indoors just walking in them. After 1 ride I'm impressed. I've been on Five Ten Low Impacts for years, and own 4 pair of them ( original Five Ten ) but ever since Adidas took over, the Low Impacts have gone way down hill so I've steered clear of Five Ten. These are my first "high top" version of mtb shoes. Felt a wee bit weird at first, but I think they will be fine once I get used to that feature. I'm using Hope F20 flat pedals and the grip was good. Still have to see if that grip will be as good as the Impacts. More riding will determine that.

When I first put the shoes on, they felt a bit "clunky", but after walking around the house for 30 minutes, they started loosening up and felt better. Each day wearing them around the house after work and into the evening, they became even more comfortable. RC was very easy to talk to via email as I was trying to make my decision on the Wildcat's and ultimately that made my decision easier. I've got my eye on the Powerline's next, but they won't be available for another couple of months.

Click on the pics for full resolution.

Footwear Blue Product Shoe White

Footwear Shoe Wood Hardwood Synthetic rubber

Footwear Wood Product Shoe Sportswear

Wood Product Shoe Hardwood Floor

·
Registered
105 Posts
I picked up a set of RC Livewires for my son and I at Sea Otter. They came with the $60 sliders for free. I have not had a ride with them yet, but I have been breaking them in by walking around the house as well. Great build and very comfortable. Can't wait to try them out on the trail.

·
Registered
385 Posts
They do look a little 'clunky'... it's just the high top thing. I do like the idea of some ankle protection but not sure I would like the extra weight (weight weenie here) and the feel around my pivoting ankle. My new fav is the Bontrager flatline.. super lightweight and nice fit !

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how wide is the toe box? i've been eye'ing RC shoes but i have wide feet and usually the fiveten impacts have a wide toe box which fits my feet.
Here's a picture of my Low Impact next to the Wildcat. Not quite as wide as the Impact, but it's still plenty wide and my feet don't feel cramped or squished at all. And to be fair, my Impacts are probably at least 5 years old and have many more miles on them than the Wildcat's. In time they will more than likely "fill out". I'm very happy and pleased with them at this point.

Blue Product White Athletic shoe Carmine

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They do look a little 'clunky'... it's just the high top thing. I do like the idea of some ankle protection but not sure I would like the extra weight (weight weenie here) and the feel around my pivoting ankle. My new fav is the Bontrager flatline.. super lightweight and nice fit !
Maybe "clunky" wasn't the right choice of word, afterall, they are brand new. My Impacts when new looked the same way. In time these will "fill out" I'm sure. As far as weight goes, these are not as "weighty" as the Impacts. But still a solid shoe minus some ounces compared to the Impact. I love the Impacts and the solid feel they give me. I'll take a few more ounces to have a shoe that gives me that felling. To bad Adidas killed the Impact as I know it. I bought 3 pair of the Impacts over the last year and a half, all size 11 like the 4 pair I already own. Not 1 pair fit me. I couldn't even get my foot in them. And I sized up to an 11.5 on the third pair thinking that might work. Not a chance. All 3 were sold immediately on Pinkbike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's a superb shoe for pedaling all day. A little roomier of a fit than the Hellion, with a deeper heel pocket. It's really lightweight for how protective it is. Welded upper is super durable. The softer rubber compound makes for a bit more feel on the pedal than the Hellion. It's not quite as stiff but still plenty so for riding all day.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's a superb shoe for pedaling all day. A little roomier of a fit than the Hellion, with a deeper heel pocket. It's really lightweight for how protective it is. Welded upper is super durable. The softer rubber compound makes for a bit more feel on the pedal than the Hellion. It's not quite as stiff but still plenty so for riding all day.
ok, have to ask, how do you know all of this?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cody from RC told me the Powerline will be available in June.

·
Premium Member
10,756 Posts
I just got a pair of Wildcats last week, got a couple short rides and one epic, love these shoes, BUT I had to modify them to remove a pressure point: The upper most metal eyelets on the inside were pressing on my ankle, caused a bruise, so I pried it out of the shoe and all is good in the world.

I only lace mine to second to last hole, leaving the holes without eyelets empty, this works well because the velcro strap is excellent for heel retention.

Past shoes used: pretty much everything from Five Ten, Shimano, Teva, Specialized. Five Ten is garbage, soak up sweat, weigh a ton, high failure rate. Specialized suffers similarly high failure rates. Teva was a good shoe in the day (RC got their molds), Shimano ain;t bad, but the soles are way to flexy and the toe box is not that protective.

So far I'd say these shoes are on par with the burliest Five Ten Impact, perhaps not quite as sticky, construction is solid, good breathability, low weight for the build, big protective toe box.

I also like that RC is local to me :)

·
Boom bap ambassador
923 Posts
I don't have the Wildcats but I did pull the trigger on the Hellion and have two rides on them so far.

Past shoes I have used:

• Impact Low - old school Marzocchi branded, just gave up the ghost finally
  • Freerider VXi - two pairs, rubber punched through from pedals and caused separation from mid-sole, pretty good aside from that
  • Teva Links - didn't get on at all with these, might have been compound pedals at the time
  • New Impact Low - yuck, felt like a moon boot, sold
  • New Freerider VXi - too bulky, returned
  • Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL - current boo, on the Shoe Goop phase of life currently, about to be kicked to the curb

Trail Cross are beat down so I have been looking around at various options - get another set of Trail Cross, other 5.10 (meh), something else.

After looking at Afton, RC, etc I pulled the trigger on the Hellion and have two rides on them from this past weekend.

I have a wide forefoot and a really high instep/arch so I'm always weary of fit.

Hellion is true to size in length and the width is fine, just right actually.

The Hellion is very comfortable and is very stiff in the outsole - stiffer than the other shoes I have used in the past.

First ride on Friday I was aware of them feeling different in terms of stiffness compared to what I was used to...not bad different just different different if you catch my drift.

Second ride yesterday I didn't really think about it other than feeling like the stiffness translated really well to being able to put the hammer down on the uphill (long ones or short punchy ones), rolling through gnar, and blasting downhill.

The concern for most people I think is a combination of good flat pedal shoes being spendy and the risk of not being sticky enough or holding up to use.

So far I can say that if I'm just pedaling along I can easily move my foot around on my pedals (Deity Bladerunner).

As soon as I start to pedal more vigorously while seated, pedal while standing, or hauling the mail down hill I'm planted and hooked up but can still move around as needed.

I have a set of Chromag Scarabs and Canfield Crampons and I would expect that the Scarabs will grip like a mofo.

The Crampons I'm not sure about since the Hellion is so stiff - might be fine or the shoe might not be flexible enough to work with the shape.

Sorry for the longer post here.

I don't mind paying for some good flat pedal shoes but I'm not so keen on coughing up a bunch of $$$ for good rubber and a crummy overall shoe that is not durable and gives up the ghost well before they should given the cost involved.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
@Nurse_Ben just got a set of these and wore them during a ride recently. Seemed to really like them, they looked good and he said they were comfy. Still needed to be broken but otherwise were good. He did say that lacing all the way up did cause some irritation issues for him on the very last lace hole, but that was easily remedied by taking that lace out. Apparently the laces are SUPER long on them.

I currently am running a pair of Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL and love them. They are showing a bit of wear on the sides but no delamination or anything. Once they do get worn out I will go with RC as they are a local company to me.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I've had mine about a month now and been riding in a variety if conditions so I feel like I can comment. I'm coming from riding in Vans for the last 2 years (before that I was pretty much exclusively on clipless), so bear in mind that I don't have a lot of experience with other flat pedal bike shoes.

I have low volume feet but need a wider toe box due to a neuroma. I bought the Wildcats in a women's size 7, which felt more comfortable to me than the 5.10 Freeriders that I tried on at the same time (the Freeriders felt shorter and wider). It took a couple of rides and a bit of walking around in the Wildcats to break them in. Like Ben, I don't lace them all the way to the top eyelet as I found it irritated a spot on my right ankle. The left one was fine though, so I think this depends on your foot shape. I didn't take the top eyelets out, I just don't use them. The combination of ankle padding, the lacing and the velcro strap means I can dial in the fit nicely and my heels stay tightly gripped. I wouldn't say the extra height is as supportive as something like a hiking boot, but the Wildcats feel solid and the extra ankle padding means I get less grit in my shoes.

So far I've ridden these in loose dirt, sand, rock, creek crossings, forest duff, snow, a bit of mud, really everything except pouring rain. On the bike the grip is great (like Vans when they are new) and the hexagon design sits nicely around the pins on my Race Face Chester pedals. I have to pick up my feet in order to move them around, even when they're wet. The soles are really stiff which means my feet are way less fatigued after long rides with lots of chunk or jumping. Off the bike the grip on the trail is adequate, but not hiking shoe level (kind of a moot point - if I'm hiking that much I made a terrible trail choice). The Wildcats are definitely burly and provide lots of protection from trail debris. They are warmer than my Vans were which is a plus for me as I tend to run cold, but for others this may be a disadvantage. Overall I'm very happy with them and would buy them again.

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
FYI- Jenson USA has the Ride Concept shoes on sale.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.