Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report and pics: All Comer's Meat -- Sat., Jan. 22 (Oregon)

The Disciples of Dirt hosted it's annual regional winter ride, the All Comer's Meat (ACM) today. 47 riders of various abilities showed up to claim their share of fun in the slop at Whypass. Although I'd come down with a fever yesterday which prevented me from being on the bike personally, I was not about to be denied at least some small involvement in this ride that means so much to so many. So I showed up and flung insults at anyone within earshot; needless to say I took a good dose of heckling myself (wouldn't have it any other way).

The weatherman cooperated for the day (no rain, not even a sprinkle) and the trails were good 'n slippy-sloppy. Some brand spankin' new singletrack was sprung on the group as well as some seasoned stuff that included log rides, twisty, bermed slalom and everything in between. Riders dallied for as much as an hour and a half at the snack stop set up half way through the ride where they told jokes, chowed munchies and consumed OFB (Our Favorite Beverage). Of course the day included plenty of bicycle oogling and maybe even a little occasional bike envy. Depending on which ride group they were in (fast, moderate or stoner), riders got from ~10 to ~18 miles on the day. That may not sound like a lot, but believe me, at Whypass it is plenty. I don't think anyone went home wishing they'd done more today.

The DOD would like to thank our sponsors who regularly support us plus donated swag for the ACM's post-ride raffle: Paul's Bicycle Way of Life and shiggy'smountain bike tire resource mtbtires.com. At least half today's ACM participants went home with a new (or slightly used, in a couple cases) bike related trinket. Thank you very much, Paul's and shiggy -- you guys rock and the cycling community is better because of generous people like you.

I would like to personally thank friend and DOD member Jason Boone for driving the All Comer's Meat Snack Wagon plus personally donating snacks, pop and some OFB to the cause. I should also mention that Jason was out at Whypass last weekend with Justin Mitchell and myself spreading gravel on some of the most offensive holes and slippery spots throughout our fav winter riding zone. Thanks for your help and generous support, Jason.

Thanks also to ACM ride leaders Don "shiggy" Person, Chris Sorenson, Lou Swing, Justin Mitchell, Richard Sweet and Matt Denberg. These are the guys who deserve everyone's thanks for a good day in the mud today. Riding with seasoned, sensitive ride leaders like these guys can be the difference between a rough day in the saddle and a really good time. Thanks to each of you guys for steppin' up and showing everybody a good time.

Finally, thanks to all the riders who made the All Comer's Meat what it was -- all 47 of you. Whew! That's a crowd. The Disciples of Dirt is a pretty big bike club but I believe the locals were outnumbered by out of town guests and this makes us very happy indeed. Riders came from as far away as Longview, Portland and the Oregon coast. Thank you ALL. Let's do it again next year.

--Sparty, AKA Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire

· highly visible
3,283 Posts
Photos!

Some visuals from yesterday's ride.

Sorry, I was either too busy riding or too busy being distracted by others' riding to take any on-trail photos, but I did get some of the buildup and the aftermath. Initial gathering at Lorane's Country Cafe:

At the trailhead before:

And after:

And of course Dave's super-duper schwag giveaway:

It was a great time, and we got in about 3x the mileage that we did on last year's ride! 13 miles and 2300' of climbing by my measurements, though it seemed like less work than last year.

Singlespeeders looked to represent at least 1/3 of the group, though I'm sad to say Justin and I were the only 29"ers that I knew of. Thanks to Dave, Shiggy and others for hosting and leading a great ride!

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
Pics! [o]
I think Sparty forgot to mention that more than half the riders were on SSs.

Sparty holding court

My usual big tree shot

Bottom of "the sucker" on Silvia Boolay. I think there are 14 riders in this pic.

red-haze with the Barbie Camp bike

Senior Dismount

All 52 of my pics are up on my Tire Site with links to high res images.

· Tree Hugger
2,938 Posts
Here are my photos

Pre-ride at the gravel pile

grouping up for the pre-ride meeting

Davey Sprockett, King of the gravel pile, and the instigator of this ride

Unlike the other groups, the Stoners headed straight into the woods, our motto was "singletrack rocks, pavement sux"

Terry enjoys the climb

Milt climbs past the "big tree"

Enjoying a break at the Yellow gate, top of the first big climb

Roy enjoying the premier of Boundary trail. Thanks Secret Singletrack Society!! It's sweet.

Joe, from the U of Oregon MTB Club

A climb with a view

Paul, pushing it

Steeper Than It Looks

Carey riding Redline. Another new treat. It's so new, it still has Salal growing in the tread.

Riding cell block, Shiggy's personal creation

Justin, rolling over the stump of a big old tree, executed some time ago

The "pubic zone", freshly shaven

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
Nice pics, Matt. The "Moderate" Group (24+ strong) went straight to the dirt, too! The Hammers were the only ones to start with the pavement.

You got the names of Boundary and Redline switched. We will be posting a sign to help you remember which one is Redline. The section of Boundary that Carey is riding was just one week old.

· Tree Hugger
2,938 Posts
Round 2

Finally made it to the refreshment station. Cases of Deschutes Brewery's finest, and munchies. Thanks to Jason and Dave for spending the day off the bike so they could serve beers. The only thing missing was music. Next year we'll have to set up a band.

A local rider (name unknown) pulls up to the party.
I'll take this moment to thank Paul's Way of Life bike shop who, along with Shiggy's MTBtires.com sponsored the event with shwag to giveaway. Thanks Paul's staff, Shiggy, and Davey for collecting the booty (even if I didnt win squat)

Lotsa riders were still on the trails so I grabbed a beer and ran up the trail to get some more action shots.
SSconnie ripping it up on the "intestinal tract"

Walt (or is it Spence?) railing down "Burial Ground"

Albee looking a bit too happy

Red Haze, hammering Barbie just like she likes it.

"Insert name here" getting some air

Shiggy, ready for takeoff

Lswing, trying the Donsled on for size

Scott Taylor, trail maintenance guru

Hey look, through the trees, its a party!

The full crowd hanging out

Ted models the new Paul's racing garb. Nice knee warmers!

Heading back home, climbing up Delsnod at the junction of Donsled

Justin hauls ass.... and he's fast too! :p

Dave looking down upon the masses

Thanks to everyone in the DOD who helped make this event happen, and thanks to everyone who came out to ride. It was a perfect day.

· Registered
6 Posts
the luck of the Irish

Sasquatch said:
Is that Carey? If so, I guess I'm spelling your name wrong.
That's okay... I'll forgive you. Though it does make me pause a second while reading it before I realize that it means me. Gotta think Irish! County Kerry.
:)

· Registered
54 Posts
Those Stupid bars!!!!!

I know that everyone has thier own opinion. Well here is mine....I Hate those stupid handlle bars. They Look stupid, and I can see ZERO functional advantage. Keep them on the road. And those stupid H bars. Sorry for all you advocates out there, but I had to state my opinion. Keep ridin SS though!!!!

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
GiantSS said:
I know that everyone has thier own opinion. Well here is mine....I Hate those stupid handlle bars. They Look stupid, and I can see ZERO functional advantage. Keep them on the road. And those stupid H bars. Sorry for all you advocates out there, but I had to state my opinion. Keep ridin SS though!!!!
Have you tried them? I do not see a functional advantage but I sure do feel it. There is a functional reason I have been using dropbars off road for nearly 20 years. They are not a fashion statement.

Be sure not to look at the pics of my Coiler when I post them in a month or two.

Thanks for your positive contribution to the forum.

I think I will go ride my skinny tire, dropbar 'cross bike (not pictured) on a nice long singletrack loop! :eek:

Attachments

· highly visible
3,283 Posts
GiantSS said:
Uh ... gee, thanks for sharing your completely non-constructive opinion. Could you at least come up with one specific reason (other than looks - do you think Shiggy cares about that?) that you don't like these bars?

Hey, here's an opinion: you sound like an insecure person who is threatened by things that differ from the norm and that they don't understand! I wonder how you ever opened your mind enough to try SSing.

Here's another opinion: if you don't like these bars, you don't have to ride them!

· High Speed Botanist
191 Posts
GiantSS said:
Post your foolish, baseless comments elsewhere please. I'm sure you can find many a thread in Passion that will keep you busy for hours:) Try them out, you might ride better, maybe not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.