Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for anyone else with an RM with the Ride 9 system.

i am a heavy rider (250lbs) and I have only set my R9 system on the neutral or descending setting for heavy riders.

how many of you have gone with a setting outside of your body type?

i find it hard to ride, then adjust the chips and then try and decide which setting was more enjoyable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It took me a few different setting to find where I liked the setting for my area. Im 195 and I set it in full climb meduim to heavy weight for my home trails. When I was in Utah last month I had it in med decent same weight and it was perfect.. It takes some time but its worth messing around with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I normally run my Altitude in the 7 or 8 position, I'm about 238 lbs when in riding shape. Winter fat puts me at 245 lbs.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I'll start by cycling thru the medium settings first.....

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
At 250 you'd likely find the heavy rider setting gets you into a better tune range on the shock, I'm right around 200 pounds and switched from the medium to the heavy rider position and the bike was immediately easier to dial the shock settings in. It felt really undersprung before making that change.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my first full suspension bike, soi am still wrapping my head around how my bike being under or over sprung would affect me

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
When undersprung it tends to blow through the travel too easily and the rebound and compression damping doesn't feel like it has enough range. Typically you'd start with the rear shock with pressure equal to your body weight and adjust from there to get the 25% sag you want. When that's up in the 250 psi range, that's getting towards the upper range of limit of the shock (300 psi) so everything is near the edge of the envelope for adjustments.

This is my first full suspension bike, soi am still wrapping my head around how my bike being under or over sprung would affect me

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, that was informative

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
That "heavier rider" position gives the shock more leverage, which means you can get the same sag with less shock pressure, keeping the shock valving within a more reasonable part of its range. So it might be 230 psi for a 250 pound rider instead of 250-260psi in the neutral position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts