Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firmly tongue-in-cheek here, but curious what other SSers ride in.

Over post-ride beers, my buddy and I were discussing the impending blast-furnace heat of the Phoenix summer, and clothing choices.
He argued that SS is naturally simplistic counter-culture and inherently ‘good times and beers’; baggies and tees/button ups were the way to go.
I argued that cycling specific clothing was the way to go for any serious riding (being purpose built for cycling), save the baggies for the low-mileage ‘chill-ride’
I’m drinking, and bored.
What do you think is ‘SSer uniform’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
PHX SS’er here...

Low-mileage, chill rides - baggies and casual, light jerseys. Generally, not the zipper/rear pocket type.

Training rides - if shorter and easier, maybe baggies and some sort of jersey, but mostly Lycra and a cycling jersey. Will kit up for longer and harder rides.

Races - Pretty much kit it up, usually with bibs, sometimes without.

I refuse to play to the “jorts and flannel to be cool/legit” thing. That is more contrived than being a racer guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
If I am racing 100 miles or 12 hours - 24 hour format it is full race kit. If I am out hitting local trails for fun or serious training it is usually baggies (a lot of times cut off Dickies) and a jersey or hacked up tee shirt, but that is with a 5-6 hour time limit, over that it just gets too wet with sweat. But after a few decades of riding in baggies they don't hinder me 90% of the time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I like to wear "normal" clothes like baggy shorts and a button up shirt if I am going on a ride that might put me in extended contact with "normal" people. Lunch/bar stops etc.... These are usually the alllll day rides that I need a backpack for so that may be another way to phrase the rule. I also find dressing like that seems to lead to better treatment on the road, despite being fairly low-viz.

If I don't plan to stop pedaling long then I will just wear lycra/wool stuff its less to wash and I like having back pockets to carry stuff.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
in summer if i am trying to go fast and/or it is hot; i am goin race kit. if anyone has anything cooler that still covers all the requisite pasty outta shape bits i am open to suggestions.

another nice one in the heat is a thin poly button down from a thrift store but it looks a little odd with tights so i usually just go full kit. to me it is the baggies that are the true "swamp catchers" i totally dig em until summer but totally avoid them if it is gonna be a hot ride!!!

i don't wanna look like a wierdo; gimme the moo moo

·
Registered
ya like dags?
4,979 Posts
Have the best of both worlds and get yourself some Club Ride jerseys. I love mine, comfy button ups but the material keeps you super cool and wicks moisture like crazy. I have tried to wear regular cycling jerseys for years and finally just gave up. I feel extremely claustrophobic in tight clothing like that, and the jersey industry can't seem to agree on sizing at all. I have 5 or 6 different road jerseys in my closet and none of them seem to fit right at all.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,786 Posts
I wear baggy MTB clothing at all times. Fun ride, short race, long race, doesn't matter. I'm not a fan of the all spandex look for mountain bikers.

I'd sooner wear lycra than jean shorts (aka Jorts) and a cutoff flannel. That's just trying way too hard.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Firmly tongue-in-cheek here, but curious what other SSers ride in.

Over post-ride beers, my buddy and I were discussing the impending blast-furnace heat of the Phoenix summer, and clothing choices.
He argued that SS is naturally simplistic counter-culture and inherently 'good times and beers'; baggies and tees/button ups were the way to go.
I argued that cycling specific clothing was the way to go for any serious riding (being purpose built for cycling), save the baggies for the low-mileage 'chill-ride'
I'm drinking, and bored.
What do you think is 'SSer uniform'?

Summer in Phx means lightest kits possible. Baggies are thermally insulating. Fine for 50's, but sucks for 100's. And SS is for hammering since you can't climb without hammering. At least I can't given how I like to gear the bike.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Funny, I'm in Austin and it's hot/humid AF here in the summer as well. Still, many of us SSers wear unlined baggie shorts over bibs 100% of the time -- mostly to protect expensive bibs from the inevitable/frequent rips and tears from the Austin rocks and branches. Light weight, super cheap board shorts work great, and they're available on clearance at the end of every summer...

As for jerseys, 99% of the time it's one of our A*S*S finest. Like this one, our latest...
Blue Sleeve Pattern Aqua Teal

Oh yeah, and socks -- A*S*S all the way!
Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel Mountain bike

·
Registered
ya like dags?
4,979 Posts
Funny, I'm in Austin and it's hot/humid AF here in the summer as well. Still, many of us SSers wear unlined baggie shorts over bibs 100% of the time -- mostly to protect expensive bibs from the inevitable/frequent rips and tears from the Austin rocks and branches. Light weight, super cheap board shorts work great, and they're available on clearance at the end of every summer...

As for jerseys, 99% of the time it's one of our A*S*S finest. Like this one, our latest...
View attachment 1250340

Oh yeah, and socks -- A*S*S all the way!
View attachment 1250342
Wife and I are planning on uprooting our family and moving to Austin next spring... Might have to start wearing jerseys again just because I want an ASS jersey.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Wife and I are planning on uprooting our family and moving to Austin next spring... Might have to start wearing jerseys again just because I want an ASS jersey.
Congrats, it's an incredible MTB and SS town. I came here in '92 intending to "just check it out for a few years" :)

Look me up when you get here and I'll get you hooked up with all kinds of ASS gear.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Summer in Phx means lightest kits possible. Baggies are thermally insulating. Fine for 50's, but sucks for 100's. And SS is for hammering since you can't climb without hammering. At least I can't given how I like to gear the bike.
Well, you gear like a beast. ;) I see you on that 34x18.

I'm with you on clothing choice though. IMO, It's too hot for double layer shorts most of the year.

I will say cargo pockets are pretty sweet, though. I can only fit so much stuff in Jersey pockets before it gets heavy and bangs into my kidneys.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
4,979 Posts
We're full. It's getting seriously nuts here with the traffic and real estate prices. Not as bad as San Francisco or anything, but look before you leap.
Yea I went through this on the Austin sub on Reddit. People don't seem to give a very warm welcome when you inquire about moving to Austin, but it's not really deterring me. I'm not one of the California expats bringing a bunch of money from the coast and driving prices up... my wife and I are just your average Joe's looking to escape Midwest winters and being cooped up inside for 85% of the year.

FWIW real estate prices in the suburbs of Austin is actually really good. Again, we aren't downtown hipsters looking at getting as close to the city as we can. Just looking for mild to no winters and driving distance to the beach for the kids.

Sad to say, but Austin isn't special in the fact that it's "full". Everywhere that has even somewhat decent weather is full and borderline unaffordable these days.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sad to say, but Austin isn't special in the fact that it's "full". Everywhere that has even somewhat decent weather is full and borderline unaffordable these days.
Austin is rad regardless of the traffic and the growth and the fact that it's surrounded by TX... If possible, I would suggest sacrificing on size or newness of houses to be closer to downtown, though. There's just so much stuff to do for families (as well as hipsters). Hit me up if you have questions down the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.