Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone using the bontrager rythms? im might pick up a paragon and it seems everyone only talks about the race x lites. the rythms are a little heavier than the race x lites but are they stiffer?

·
Registered
532 Posts
They are comparible to the Race series of wheels, but with a wider rim. They are probably a few(very few) grams heavier than the Race lite stuff. Not sure about being stiffer, but they are a solid tubeless compatable set up. They have a great warranty in case somethingthing does go wrong.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It will change the profile of the tire a little. I have a set of RXL and a set of Dusters/XTR and I can't really tell a difference in tire preformance.
Have you weighed the Rythems? Just curious how they compare.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a 2009 Paragon that came with the Rhythm Comp wheels. I also picked up last years Race X-lite wheels. I weighed them without skewers or rotors. The Comps had the standard blue rim strips in them. The Race X-lite had the tubeless strips already installed.

Rhythm Comp front = 950 grams
rear = 1170 grams
TOTAL = 2,120 grams

Race X-Lite front = 870 grams
rear = 1000 grams
TOTAL = 1870 grams

Weight savings with Race X-lite = 250 grams

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've got a set of Rhythm Comps and another set of wheels built with Duster rims (the Duster is the same rim used in the Rhythm wheelsets) on DT hubs. I find them to be pretty tough rims. The Dusters are built 3x, 32 hole, while the Rhythm set is a 2x, 28-hole.

The Rhythms ride fine - they're on my Felt Nine Solo SS and I've pounded them hard more than a few times and they don't seem to mind at all. I had them on my rigid Monocog Flight for a while and they did fine... a bit of adjustment after the first few weeks of riding - typical for mass produced wheels - and then they held up quite well to rigid use.

The Duster's are currently on Monocog Flight set-up as a monster-cross but will be used for on/off road touring on the Monocog this summer. I like the stout 3x wheels on a rigid set-up as they'll take a fair amount of abuse particularly for heavier loads and on/off road riding.

The rims are pretty tough in my experience and are excellent for tubeless set-ups.

I also understand that Mikesee (http://www.lacemine29.com/) builds some wheels with them and his wheels get rave reviews.

S

·
Registered
997 Posts
a major part of the weight difference between rythms / dusters wheelsets and X-lite's should be the hubs. it would be intersting to know the difference and width between the rims only.

btw, my x-lite's are about 1760g.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
hellocook said:
a major part of the weight difference between rythms / dusters wheelsets and X-lite's should be the hubs. it would be intersting to know the difference and width between the rims only.

btw, my x-lite's are about 1760g.
Race XL TLR rims: 24mm wide, ~484g

Duster TLR rims: 28mm, ~500g

It is MUCH easier to mount tires on the Duster/Rhythm as it is wider and deeper. Seems to be easier to ding the edge though UST/TLR tires still seal fine.

For the wheelsets, I prefer the Comp over the Elite as the former weighs only slightly more, costs less, and uses Formula hubs rather than the low-end DT Swiss (pawl FH, not star ratchet).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.