Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering....Is this annoyance the result of a pinned/ramped chainring? :confused:

I believe that the chainring bolts, crankarms, and BB are all snug.

Any recommendations for a nice 32T non ramped/pinned chainring for a Shiz-mano FC M-751 crankset ? I think it's 104mm bolt circle?

Thanks~

·
Registered
512 Posts
What kind of frame? I used to work at a shop that sold Cannondale, and they would all creak from the BB. What kind of BB? If it's a square taper spindle, take the arms off and make sure the contact areas are clean. It also could be the seat rails in the post if you're sitting while this is happening, so put a little bit of lube on the rails where they are clamed in the seat. If that doesn't do it, quit climbing :)

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Joe Steel said:
Wondering....Is this annoyance the result of a pinned/ramped chainring? :confused:
Probably not....

Joe Steel said:
Even though they are snug if they are bare metal to metal contacts they may still creak if they are bone dry, or if there is any kind of corosion in there. Could be the BB cups (threads and in between the cups and the catridge)

Joe Steel said:
Any recommendations for a nice 32T non ramped/pinned chainring for a Shiz-mano FC M-751 crankset ? I think it's 104mm bolt circle?
Take everything apart, and grease/anti-seize(my pref.) every contact possible except the crank/spindle interface. This includes knocking the cups off the BB and coating them inside and out. You would be suprised at the amount of dirt/corrosion that can accumulate between the cups and the cartridge.

·
255 Posts
In addition to seatpost/seat, BB, crank, bolts, and pedals, you might want to check the headset, stem, h-bar, and fork. I had a rhythmic creak and greased everything, only to discover the creak was coming from the fork crown.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Joe Steel said:

Thanks~
I had a creak that was caused by the rear axle not being tight enough in the dropouts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.