Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the coversion, everything is installed correctly to my knoweledge. The problem is the air is leaking out of the valve stem hole. The nut on the valve stem only touches half of the rim because its not symetrical, I can only imagine this is the problem. Any ideas or solutions? Superjuice is installed, no leaking bubbles just air loss from the valve stem hole.

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
I've found that a damaged rim strip can let the air out anywhere along either edge -- and the air may leak out the valve stem, or seem to. It's the easiest or most obvious place to get out. Check the whole rim strip on both sides for damage. Replace and try again. Or borrow the rim strip from your other wheel to prove it.

The asymetrical rim doesn't normally affect the seating of the valve.

Also, the Bontrager valve isn't the only valve that will seat well on the Rhythm rim strip. But it sure seems to work very well.

Good luck.

--Greg

·
Plastic homer
592 Posts
siv said:
Did the coversion, everything is installed correctly to my knoweledge. The problem is the air is leaking out of the valve stem hole. The nut on the valve stem only touches half of the rim because its not symetrical, I can only imagine this is the problem. Any ideas or solutions? Superjuice is installed, no leaking bubbles just air loss from the valve stem hole.
Is the O-ring in there correctly?Also - lose the Superjuice - use Stan's, or Caffeelatex.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
You are using the Bontrager rim strips, right?(and NOT the stock green strips!)
And you do have the stem going through the strip?
And you haven't over cranked the nut and damaged the oring or strip?
I have seen the above not done..but, if you've done the above, remove the tire and put a little sealant on the oring and tighten it down finger tight ( the outside nut doesn't have to sit flat and doesn't need much tightening to seal)

·
Registered
15 Posts
On mine (same rims) I pushed down on the valve from the inside to compress the o-ring / rim strip while tightening the valve nut. I was able to get another half turn at least without having to strain too much in tightening the nut. Mine sealed first try no problems.

I assume you did it this way, but the o-ring is supposed to sit between the rim strip and the end of the valve stem and the line on the top of the valve stem is supposed to be oriented in-line/parallel to the spoke bed.

Also, be sure your shop didn't give you race x-lite rim strips. They are slightly narrower and definitely won't seal.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had the same problem. My solution was:
1. Dry off the rim strip around the hole and then put a tire patch (the clear kind from Park) over the hole.
2. Take an exacto knife and make a small, x-shaped cut in the center.
3. Dunk the valve in Stan's (make sure the o-ring has plenty of Stan's on it) and insert it in the hole.
4. Use cromo900's push and tighten method.
5. Blast out the excess Stan's is left inside the valve with compressed air.
6. Mount tire and inflate with Stan's or what ever brew you prefer.

Presto....No more problems. Good luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had that problem too as well as leaking from the spoke holes, just keep sloshing your juice around and filling it with air, eventually it will seal, mine did but it took about 3 days.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After a couple days with sealant it did seal then. Problem is the next day I went out and hit a sharp edge on a rock and that was it. Hole in the tire was too big to seal and there was also a cut right along the bead which wont seal either. Very frustrating, considering going back to tubes. Im thinking anyone over 200 lbs shouldnt ride a hardtail in rocks, just not enough give in the back to avoid that happening again.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Bikeabout said:
Also, the Bontrager valve isn't the only valve that will seat well on the Rhythm rim strip. But it sure seems to work very well.

Good luck.

--Greg
What else can you use other than the Bontrager valve with their strip?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts