Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, getting fed up with the fact that the rim strips for these have been on backorder for months, I emailed fisher and asked if they had a projected date when they would be available. The answer is "no" they don't have a date and suggested I get rim strips from notubes.com (stan's) :madmax:

I did a search here and saw that some people are doing the split tube, some folks are using the Stan's flow 29 strip, and some folks are just using reinforced packing tape. This interests me the most as I've had the valves and sealant for months and I could just do that up this weekend. Is everyone having good success with these different methods? If I go with strapping tape, I assume I wrap once down the spoke bed and then overlap on each side toward the rim? Any other helpful hints?

/rant on/ Anyone else find it ludicrous that a huge company like Trek/Fisher/Bontrager/Klein/Lemond can supposedly design and manufacture cutting edge bicycles but can't figure out how to mold a piece of plastic? /rant off/

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Yeah, it is a frusterating situation for everybody involved, believe me.

I think judging from the various options I've read about, the Stan's Flow rim strip gets the nod. But, as strange as it may sound, some folks are using the Bontrager Race X Lite TLR rim strip in rhythm wheels and claiming success. I don't know about that, but that's the story I've seen.

If you are proficient at the packing tape, double sided tape build up procedure, I'd say go for that. That should do the trick as well.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
But, as strange as it may sound, some folks are using the Bontrager Race X Lite TLR rim strip in rhythm wheels and claiming success. I don't know about that, but that's the story I've seen.
yeah, well, these are not available either...I've been waiting at least 4 months:madman: :madmax: :madman: :madmax: :madman: :rolleyes:

G

·
Registered
874 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Yeah, it is a frusterating situation for everybody involved, believe me.

I think judging from the various options I've read about, the Stan's Flow rim strip gets the nod. But, as strange as it may sound, some folks are using the Bontrager Race X Lite TLR rim strip in rhythm wheels and claiming success. I don't know about that, but that's the story I've seen.

If you are proficient at the packing tape, double sided tape build up procedure, I'd say go for that. That should do the trick as well.
The Race X Lite strips work for me - no problems. They are cheaper than Stans and work fine.

·
Registered
769 Posts
We have not had success with the RL strips in Rhythm wheels, but others have. I have been using Stan's rim strips for years, and they just work, no matter what rim and tire combo I've used. I can't even list all the different combos. If you want to be sure go with the Stan's. It seams to me that the rim strips should have been ready before the claim of a tubeless system was advertised. I wondered why none of the test models at Trek World were set up tubeless. Silly.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't think the Race X Lite Rimstrips are available yet either. It is ridiculous and frustrating.

I ended up doing the ghetto tubeless set-up on my Race X-Lites with the split tubes (Bontrager ACX wheels), which has worked great. I am too much of a wimp to try just the packing tape or Stan's tape as some have done. It would be light, but seems a little scary.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm using the Stan's flow strips and they work. I'm no expert on tubless (this is my first tubeless set) but I would think that taking a 26 inch tube, cutting it into a strip slightly narrower than your rim then stretching it to fit (leaving the blue strip that's already there on) would work just as well and save you $. No knock on the Stans as it does work well but next time I'll save $40 + shipping by using an old tube.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Fishlips said:
I don't think the Race X Lite Rimstrips are available yet either.
I have them on my bike, and they are listed on the Bontrager website ($4.99), so yes they are available. The tire stretches them out when inflated and they work fine for me with multiple tires tried.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm using a split tube over 2 laps of strapping tape to cover the spoke holes - the offset nature of the rim makes it hard to cover the spoke holes in one lap - depends on the tape width I guess. I use split 24" tubes with a presta valve with a removable valve core to make it easy to inflate and set the bead - then I just add some Stan's fluid.

I've got at a few hundred miles on my Rhythms as well as a Duster rim I had a friend build up on an Onyx (rear) hub which I use regularly - not a single burp or leak... This weekend I rode over a few cactus and the pressure is holding fine.

I agree it is frustrating not having the stock rim strips - but go give some of the alternatives a try and you'll see it works fine. Just buy a single 24" tube - I know lots of guys who use schrader valves and get a valve core remover for inflation/seating the bead - they're cheap and if you can get one going you'll be better at the next one - and if it doesn't work you're out a few bucks and some time. I've not heard anyone who has had problems with a tubeless system - just watch Stan's videos and you'll figure it out.

S

·
Registered
173 Posts
I spoke with trek today as we have a customer waiting for the race x lite rim strips. The guy at trek seems to think they might be available after the 4th of july as in late next week. Im not holding my breath but thats the latest from those guys. As of right now he said they had about 550 backorders currently in the system and 800 sets projected to be in stock. once backorders are filled that does not leave much left for everyone else.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fishlips said:
I don't think the Race X Lite Rimstrips are available yet either. It is ridiculous and frustrating.

I ended up doing the ghetto tubeless set-up on my Race X-Lites with the split tubes (Bontrager ACX wheels), which has worked great. I am too much of a wimp to try just the packing tape or Stan's tape as some have done. It would be light, but seems a little scary.
The Race XL 29 strips are available. I have been using them for more than a year and just got another pair a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I've got two sets of Rhythm wheels with the narrower RXL strips. Flawless for several months, so far.

I did, however, have a stick poke right through a Dry-X rear tire yesterday, which surprised me, given the stiffness of the abrasion resistant (AR) casing!

·
Ride to the ride.
360 Posts
I'm pretty new to tubeless, as I've done less than a dozen conversions. And I may be an idiot, but on my own wheels, I just stuck down a layer of Stan's 24mm Yellow Tape on my Rhythm Comps, filled up with a couple scoops of Stan's and popped them into place. Using WTB ExiWolfs.

My only other tubeless tire is a Maxxis Crossmark on a Stan's Arch rim. The Rhythm and the Arch seems to have similar bed/bead dimensions. Meaning a fairly wide rim with a shallow bed. (But I didn't measure anything.)

No problems after a week (Rhythms/Exi) and a month (Arch/Crossmark). But the WTB tires took a bit longer to seal the more porous sidewalls. And they were giving me some super snappy bead-pop-in when I initially set them up with TUBES!

Haven't had any trouble, and though I'm not really a hucker, I ride aggressively. How would I even know if I were risking eminent death with this set-up? Why not just tape-em and run-em?

--Greg

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
shiggy said:
The Race XL 29 strips are available. I have been using them for more than a year and just got another pair a couple of weeks ago.
Is my LBS looking up the wrong strip on the trek supply website?:confused: They keep saying they are not in for my mustang rim, which requires the same rxl strip.

Any PN's anyone?

Thanks
G

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've used Stans yellow tape, and left tires on for 1.5 yrs, without even replenishing sealant. Awesome way to go.And by the way the Crows rock, just did Lumberjack 100,finished, and was able to clean everything that most walked! This tire rocks, just have to be able to handle it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.