Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Viva Avion
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear Rhythm Basic rear hub part #230517 G.J./SRAM PG-950 11-32

My '08 Remedy 7's rear free hub doesn't track true. I only have 56 miles on this bike (99% pavement miles). The rear drive train has not operated properly since I took delivery of this bike. At first I thought the rear derailer was out of adjustment but after several adjustments by LBS and checking of derailer hanger alignment, still had an issue of: jumping to the next smallest cog on the cassette when back pedaled, not even in a cross chained gear. After this issue caused a chain suck and scratched the #@$! out of the chainstay:madmax:, I put the bike on my stand and pedaled the wheel and let it freewheel. The cassette wobbles at least 3-5mm.:skep: WTF. Anyone else had problems with this hub/cassette combo? I also own an '07 HiFi with Shimano 525's on one wheelset and 475's on another, both with SRAM PG-950 11-32 cassettes. I have almost 5,000 miles on that bike and have never had any problems with the drive train. For any ideas:confused: on what to do, I thank you in advance. Help a brother out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bent axle or a really bad free hub? Take it to the shop and have them tear it down. I have a feeling it will be obvious once it is apart. If it is a defective freehub or other defect, it should be covered by the Bontrager wheel warranty.

Mikey

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have an 09 Remedy 9 and I love the bike. However, I've had nothing but trouble from the hubs. Same issue you have, I had in the first few weeks. I've had bearings go bad, axles break and etc on both the front and rear hubs. No problems with the wheels staying strong and true though. Trek keeps fixing stuff, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to go through that stuff. I also had trouble with chain suck and snapped the rd hanger during chain suck. That all turned out to be a bent spider on the crankset. My lbs replaced it and it's been great ever since.

·
Registered
338 Posts
johnayfaunce said:
Rear Rhythm Basic rear hub part #230517 G.J./SRAM PG-950 11-32

My '08 Remedy 7's rear free hub doesn't track true. I only have 56 miles on this bike (99% pavement miles). The rear drive train has not operated properly since I took delivery of this bike. At first I thought the rear derailer was out of adjustment but after several adjustments by LBS and checking of derailer hanger alignment, still had an issue of: jumping to the next smallest cog on the cassette when back pedaled, not even in a cross chained gear. After this issue caused a chain suck and scratched the #@$! out of the chainstay:madmax:, I put the bike on my stand and pedaled the wheel and let it freewheel. The cassette wobbles at least 3-5mm.:skep: WTF. Anyone else had problems with this hub/cassette combo? I also own an '07 HiFi with Shimano 525's on one wheelset and 475's on another, both with SRAM PG-950 11-32 cassettes. I have almost 5,000 miles on that bike and have never had any problems with the drive train. For any ideas:confused: on what to do, I thank you in advance. Help a brother out.
Which wheel do you have?

Mikey

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
Mine did the same. I solved the problem by boxing them and getting a decent pair of wheels.

By the way, the 5 year Bontrager warranty exists only on paper. If this isn't something to be warrantied, then I don't know what is. I had no luck trying to get it warrantied. The same goes for a seat post collar that also came with my Remedy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
amrgb said:
Mine did the same. I solved the problem by boxing them and getting a decent pair of wheels.

By the way, the 5 year Bontrager warranty exists only on paper. If this isn't something to be warrantied, then I don't know what is. I had no luck trying to get it warrantied. The same goes for a seat post collar that also came with my Remedy.
I am a Trek Dealer and have had NO problems or questions asked when our inside rep runs a wheel warranty for us. If your dealer balks, find another store to deal with.

Mikey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.