Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding on a Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheel set for a while now with a qr rear. I would like to run a 10mm thru bolt of some kind on the back but was not sure if the hub is convertible. It is a DT Swiss made hub, I gave them a ring as I wanted to run their rws axle but it sounds like that will not work with the Rhythm hub. Anyone know if there is some other kind of thru bolt available that will work with this hub? Just looking to increase stiffness in the rear over the 9mm qr.

Thanks

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
elsinore said:
I have been riding on a Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheel set for a while now with a qr rear. I would like to run a 10mm thru bolt of some kind on the back but was not sure if the hub is convertible. It is a DT Swiss made hub, I gave them a ring as I wanted to run their rws axle but it sounds like that will not work with the Rhythm hub. Anyone know if there is some other kind of thru bolt available that will work with this hub? Just looking to increase stiffness in the rear over the 9mm qr.

Thanks
No conversion AFAIK. It is 10mm QR only (rear. 9mm front). I bolt on skewer might stiffen it slightly, as the stock QR skewers are pretty wimpy on clamping power.

DT does offer a 5mm RWS skewer and there are many cheaper skewers that just use a 5mm allen to tighten.

· Registered
446 Posts
The hub is a DT Onyx. There is no thru-bolt conversion available.

I had the Rhythm Elites and wanted a TB front. Bontrager had a Race X-Lite front wheel on super duper closeout... I bought the wheel, unbuilt both, and rebuilt them swapping the rims. I sold the Race X Lite wheel (now with a Race Lite hub) and now have a Rhythm Elite with a 240 hub that can accept the 9mm end caps/RWS TB. Total cost was a couple hours of wheel unbuilding/rebuilding (same ERD for the rims let me re-use spokes) and not a ton of money after selling off the other wheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.