Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for some serious urban riding. I was doing big stair gaps and 5-6 ft drops to flat all day with no problems. Then I tried doing a stair gap backwards and launching up it. Well, I made the gap (6 feet jump up) but my rim didn't. It's about time I gave myself some reasons to buy a new rim.

Anyone know of a rim that can take urban riding? Rhyno-Lite XL sure as hell can't!!! :mad:

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
That'll buff out :D

Good excuse for an upgrade, but I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions. Hope you find something bombproof.

Clyde

·
Frequent Flyer
411 Posts
If you consider riding full steam ahead into stairs "urban riding", then I'm not sure what to tell you. Any rim will eventually fail if you keep doing that. But if you must continue to slam your bike into stairs, try out the Funn 48 spoke rims.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
dude you can't make your equipment take up the slack for what you lack in skill.

I ride urban with Sun O Degree Light rims. no flat spots, no dings. and I've seen FreeriderForever ride urban, which he does WORLDS better than I do, and he's not lugging around boat-anchor hoops either.

skill, young jedi. skill.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
maybe you need a killer set of urban wheels . . .

why are you running V-brake rims with disc brakes anywhy?

Is it Disc, or Disk?

You know you could run "downhill" rims, but you will suffer a bit of a weight penality dragin' around a monster wheelset . . .

I think I have just what you are looking for . . .

·
Registered
196 Posts
universalcycles.com had a really good price on the sun doubletracks. It's especially important to keep your spoke tension really tight and even for the urban riding. The spoke tension has more to do with a strong wheel than the rim does.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Maybe yours was badly built. I have a friend who does big (7 foot drops) to flat on his hardtail w/rhynolite XLs, and they are nearly perfect. Also, he cases big jumps :) . He is a really abusive rider, 180s everything etc. His wheels were handbuilt. I handbuilt my sun singletracks and they are holding up really well, even though I ride them pretty hard. I think the quality of the build plays a big part in the strength of the wheel.

·
urbantrailridingroadie
502 Posts
I too have RhynoLites. I ride them on my Chameleon. The main thing I don't like about them is they are a pain in the a$$ to get the tire on or off of.

I curse every time I need to put some Stan's in them. They are not bent or anything but I really want to get rid of them...just haven't

tep

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Try the Mavic XM321's which were F219. Good rims. Or, if you prefer rim brake compatible the 317's are good.
MD Bullit said:
Maybe yours was badly built. I have a friend who does big (7 foot drops) to flat on his hardtail w/rhynolite XLs, and they are nearly perfect. Also, he cases big jumps :) . He is a really abusive rider, 180s everything etc. His wheels were handbuilt. I handbuilt my sun singletracks and they are holding up really well, even though I ride them pretty hard. I think the quality of the build plays a big part in the strength of the wheel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.