Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What springs and oil weight/levels are you running? Although I threatened to sell my RFX, I just can't do it...gonna go with a 6x6 set up instead.

Zoke tells me to pick up the x-hvy springs (part # 850342) with 10wt oil.

Fiscal responsibility be damned.

TIA,

Sean

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm not a "big boy" (5'10", 175) - but Zokes are pretty famous for being low on oil when you get them - have you tried adding some? I did and never bottom out anymore...if Marz says get new springs, you probably should...

and keep that RFX! - it's a piece outta history, like the last of the V-8 Interceptors....

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Good call! 6+6 is the way that bike was meant to be anyways.

I'm 170 so take it with a grain of salt... but I run no air preload in my Z150, and have only bottomed it on 5' drops to "less than forgiving" trannys. Marzocchi suggested 60mm from the top I think, but stock my oil height was more like 80, after break in I raised it to 75 from the top with 10wt. Anyways I think theres a good chance you could be OK with stock springs, since they are geared towards average weight riders going absolutely HUGE. just raise the oil height and add some air, hopefully that will get you through. It's a great fork.

PS I usually add 10psi for north-shore / bike park use, just to counteract brake dive.... seems to be more of an issue than bottoming out.

Soupboy said:
What springs and oil weight/levels are you running? Although I threatened to sell my RFX, I just can't do it...gonna go with a 6x6 set up instead.

Zoke tells me to pick up the x-hvy springs (part # 850342) with 10wt oil.

Fiscal responsibility be damned.

TIA,

Sean

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
I'm around 200lbs and am running about 5psi in my Z150FR fork most of the time, stock springs. Bottom it according to the zip tie on like 4ft drops to flat pavement but can't feel it. Haven't checked the oil height yet. Running a 600lb spring in the back with a pushed vanilla rc.

·
Registered
619 Posts
6X6 RFX Here

I'm 175# running a z150 fr on my RFX. Just got done changing oil. I used 10 weight and per Zocchi's tech dept I have both legs @ 45mm from the top. Feels perfect. I'm gonna fool with the air pressure when I get it out in the woods tomorrow but right now it feels good at only 4 lbs.

What an incredible fork! I have stock springs in it, by the way.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks gents...

...should have mentioned that I go 240# soaked in chamois mayo.

I'm likely picking up the fork in a trade so I will redirect to my favorite shop for proper springs and oil prior to install.

Sean

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I still think you should try the stock springs first!

Only raising the oil level, or adding air, will keep the fork from bottoming out.... heavier springs will affect the begginning of the stroke more than the end. Riders under 170lbs are using this fork without any springs at all!

I have a friend whos about 240 and very aggressive downhiller, he bought my old Z1 and was convinced he'd need heavier springs. Raised the oil level 10mm, 10wt oil, he loves it now. In the end I think the terrain you'll be riding is just as important as your weight.

Soupboy said:
...should have mentioned that I go 240# soaked in chamois mayo.

I'm likely picking up the fork in a trade so I will redirect to my favorite shop for proper springs and oil prior to install.

Sean

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
886 Posts
I would stick to the spring that you got in the shock and go from there.
I have a a Zoke and am riding it with the spring that came with it.
And I am 240# with my gear.
I put in about 12 psi in and find seems alright.
But I will day that I am at a point where I maybe should look into heavier spring or thicker oil. But at this time I am going with what I got orginally.
Like FM said.........you have not given the shock a try at it's orginal setting yet.
You can always get the stiffer spring and/or oil, after.
:D

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks boys...

but I went through the same thing with my 03 Z1FRQR20. Since I have the time and would do the oil change anyway I figure I should get the proper springs in there.

Plus, doesn't running air preload on the high side negatively effect small bump compliance? Maybe not.

I'd rather have the right springs than run a bunch of preload. Then again, my Z1 didn't have this feature so I'm not that versed in the proper set up.

Sean

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
I might be on crack, but here's my take on it (having owned&tinkered with many marzocchis):

Using springs for pre-load generally creates a more linear feeling pre-load than air, which is by nature more progressive. Especially at lower psi (sub-20 most likely for you). Of course this depends on the volume of the air chamber- the smaller, the quicker it's going to ramp up. Add enough oil to your fork and you'll never bottom it out, regardless of any preload, springs, or rider weight. however in the first inch of travel (sag), 10psi of air preload is not really compressed enough to afffect the fork. Past that it starts ramping up quickly.

using a coil spring for pre-load will cause the the fork to ride higher in travel, possibly reduce small bump sensitivity somewhat, but will maintain a more linear travel. This also means less resistance to bottoming out compared to using air for pre-load, or adding oil.

Basically, if you want to prevent bottoming out, add more air pre-load, or more oil. If you need more than 15psi of air pre-load, it's time to raise your oil level.

If you don't bottom out, but feel like the fork has too much sag or rides too low in it's travel, then heavier springs might be the ticket (presuming you've tried adding oil and up to 15psi first)

Either way, I would only go to heavier springs if you're still bottoming out the fork after adding 15psi and verifying the oil level is not lower than marzocchis reccomendations.

Soupboy said:
but I went through the same thing with my 03 Z1FRQR20. Since I have the time and would do the oil change anyway I figure I should get the proper springs in there.

Plus, doesn't running air preload on the high side negatively effect small bump compliance? Maybe not.

I'd rather have the right springs than run a bunch of preload. Then again, my Z1 didn't have this feature so I'm not that versed in the proper set up.

Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts